Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2015, 08:42 AM

10,196 posts, read 9,918,276 times

Advertisements

Overall, it's only a good gift if it's wanted. The pros is the teacher is likely "chill". Much more then mom or dad. I got them for my foster daughter because I didn't want to be in the car while she drove at first. Eek.

But if he doesn't want to drive, it's a waste of money.

I'm wondering about the addict comment by a poster. Is your son an addict? Not so, I'd skip any gift giving. His doc is all he wants. Save up for treatment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2015, 10:18 AM

13,981 posts, read 26,009,040 times
It's been 7 years since we last paid for private driving lessons, and even then it was almost $500. For that much money, I'd want the student to have some skin in the game. Does he have a car? Without one, the lessons wouldn't be very beneficial, driving is very much a use it or lose it skill when it comes to new drivers.

It's a generous thought, but I wouldn't bother unless he is committed to the process, has a car, and is able to pay for insurance.

Old 10-14-2015, 02:36 PM

2,966 posts, read 3,924,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeachSalsa View Post
Oh...yeah, probably!

Clearly I need a second cup of coffee this morning....
Yup...I meant that you need to do a certain number of hours with a certified driving instructor before you can get your license in my state. I thought it was very helpful for a fresh set of eyes to watch them, give them tips, and so on in a less...emotional environment. It was also beneficial in the sense that the instructor knew what the evaluators during the actual drivers' test were looking for, and could tell them what would be an automatic fail, etc.

That being said, my kids were eager to drive. If he doesn't care either way, I'm not sure I'd push it.

Old 10-14-2015, 03:10 PM

10,116 posts, read 19,448,283 times
He wants to drive, but for some reason just keeps hesitating.

We're in Texas, the only requirement is to pass written and road test if one is over 18. Under 18 they must log a certain number of behind-the-wheel instruction with a licensed driver in addition to passing both tests.

I simply refuse to let him slide on this. I know I often get attacked on this board by the "perfect parents" out there, save your breath---you're on ignore. Even though he's that magic 18, there's still work to be done in fashioning him into an independent, self-sufficient adult.Not driving severely limits his options, and we won't always be there for him.

Many people simply learn better from a stranger than a parent. We really did our best, were positive, didn't yell at him or get impatient, regardless, it simply isn't working with us. Many people work better in a one-on-one situation rather than with parents.

If I do purchase the lessons for him, that will be about his only Christmas gift. We usually spend about $600/kid for Christmas, so this would be a better use than a bunch of other items. Something to think about, there's time between now and Christmas.

Old 10-14-2015, 03:52 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,977,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strawflower View Post
It's a requirement in my state to get one's license.
There is no state in the US where that is true.

Old 10-14-2015, 03:59 PM

13,981 posts, read 26,009,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post

We're in Texas, the only requirement is to pass written and road test if one is over 18. Under 18 they must log a certain number of behind-the-wheel instruction with a licensed driver in addition to passing both tests.

I simply refuse to let him slide on this. I know I often get attacked on this board by the "perfect parents" out there, save your breath---you're on ignore. Even though he's that magic 18, there's still work to be done in fashioning him into an independent, self-sufficient adult.Not driving severely limits his options, and we won't always be there for him.

Many people simply learn better from a stranger than a parent. We really did our best, were positive, didn't yell at him or get impatient, regardless, it simply isn't working with us. Many people work better in a one-on-one situation rather than with parents.

If I do purchase the lessons for him, that will be about his only Christmas gift. We usually spend about $600/kid for Christmas, so this would be a better use than a bunch of other items. Something to think about, there's time between now and Christmas.
Even if the only requirement is to pass the road test, he'll be in more danger to himself and others unless he is willing to get on the road, and has the means to do so. You really need to discuss this with him. I agree that non-drivers are handicapped in many areas, but throwing money away in lessons isn't going to cure his trepidation if he doesn't want to practice on his own.

Old 10-14-2015, 06:06 PM

22,658 posts, read 47,851,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
There is no state in the US where that is true.
Read post #13 for the clarification.

Old 10-14-2015, 09:16 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,672,126 times
I paid for my own driving lessons from a driving school. Had a few lessons and passed my road test. No problem. But I wanted to drive! Doesn't sound like your son wants to.

Old 10-14-2015, 09:41 PM

1,623 posts, read 1,729,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post

I guess if you made up your mind get driving lessons and don't ask anybody elses opinion. It might be a waste of money, but, so be it.

Old 10-15-2015, 12:01 AM
Status: "It's WARY, or LEERY (weary means tired)" (set 8 days ago)

16,101 posts, read 21,239,084 times
I'd say wait a while longer. My daughter tried driving at 18, she just wasn't ready for it. After another year or two she was finally tired of having to wait around on other people to take her places so she decided to give it another shot.
It took her three tries to pass the driving portion but she finally did it because she was determined to. I worry that if you push faster than he is ready for, he will use any minor setback to just give it up altogether
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting