Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2015, 03:06 PM

2,936 posts, read 2,353,717 times

Advertisements

Just wondering if anyone else on here is choosing not to have children. I've found lately with being engaged and my age that people are starting to talk about me having kids.

I come from a huge family and spent most of my summers as a nanny and babysat a ton during school. I love kids, it's obvious I do so I understand why people assume I'm planning on children.

I've mentioned not wanting kids to a few close family/friends and the reactions are all "oh you'll change your mind" etc... It's frustrating as heck.

Old 06-27-2015, 03:49 PM

17,183 posts, read 23,091,233 times
Wrong forum. This is the parenting forum and most of us already have children.

Old 06-27-2015, 04:09 PM

5,413 posts, read 6,753,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeHa View Post
Just wondering if anyone else on here is choosing not to have children. I've found lately with being engaged and my age that people are starting to talk about me having kids.

I come from a huge family and spent most of my summers as a nanny and babysat a ton during school. I love kids, it's obvious I do so I understand why people assume I'm planning on children.

I've mentioned not wanting kids to a few close family/friends and the reactions are all "oh you'll change your mind" etc... It's frustrating as heck.
You're not going to find many child free people on a parenting board.

That being said if thats what works for you, go for it. You may or may not change your mind, it doesn't matter as long as it's your choice. Never have a child just because it's what others expect you to do......not good for you.....not good for the kid. There is nothing wrong with using your energy somewhere else.

However sometimes the child free do change their mind.... my husband was 36 and I was 28 and neither one of us wanted children, especially me. We met, fell in love and in less than 6 months later I'm pregnant (by choice) and we're married. Its over 20 years now and sometimes we still look at each other like "how the hell did this happen?" But we don't regret having the kid and everything else...and she still the love of our lives.....and a pretty kewl human.

Last edited by ScarletG; 06-27-2015 at 04:53 PM..

Old 06-27-2015, 04:24 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,482,846 times
I suggest one of the relationship forums for a more even-sided discussion. I agree with the others who pointed out that finding a child-free person on the parenting board is unlikely.

Old 06-27-2015, 04:58 PM

7,721 posts, read 5,541,897 times
Don't be so certain that readers of the parenting forum may have chosen the child-free life.

Old 06-27-2015, 05:10 PM

26,333 posts, read 22,484,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBayBoomer View Post
Don't be so certain that readers of the parenting forum may have chosen the child-free life.
Coming to see what they are missing?

Old 06-27-2015, 05:26 PM

6,489 posts, read 8,876,610 times
I will never understand why someone comes to a parenting forum to discuss not being a parent.

Old 06-27-2015, 05:51 PM

3,349 posts, read 2,866,169 times
So far I am going on childfree stance unless my brothers die off or I changed my minI am not getting a my tube tied until I am thirty.

Old 06-27-2015, 05:58 PM

7,721 posts, read 5,541,897 times
First of all, over to the right of your screen you will often see topics of the day that have nothing whatever to do with why you signed on and in which forum you have yourself currently planted. However, they may strike a chord with you for some reason, or you might have something to offer on the subject, so you visit the thread of the topic and read it and maybe you even post a comment.

I'm not a bricklayer, but have gotten some ideas about pavers in a forum. I don't play hockey, but perhaps a forum on hockey is a "hot topic" one day and the post is about a local team, and I just go over to read and might end up posting.

My point in posting was to suggest what should be obvious: there are plenty of good reasons why people visit and even post in all forums.

In this forum, for example, I have many things to add, whether or not I am a parent. I was a teacher, I am an aunt of six, and I care about the future generation. I don't need to be a card-carrying parent in order to read or to post.

And, please don't be so naive as to think that some of the posters here are not themselves parents. They could even be a child.

Old 06-27-2015, 06:10 PM

2,936 posts, read 2,353,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
Wrong forum. This is the parenting forum and most of us already have children.
Quote:
Originally Posted by maggie2101 View Post
I will never understand why someone comes to a parenting forum to discuss not being a parent.
Um I'm sorry? By here I meant the CD forum as a whole. I genuinely didn't know where to put this. I thought since it's about parenting (just that the choice is to not be one) this was the best fit.

If a moderator thinks it'd be better somewhere else then please move it, it'd appreciate that.

There really was no reason to be rude.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.