Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2015, 07:52 AM

16,582 posts, read 10,689,515 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
My G/F will want to cry when her son is sticking his hand into his diaper and pulling out poop and throwing it, but I have to laugh because it's funny.
Your sense of humor is vastly different from mine. Thankfully, my kids never had the "play with poop" phase. Only once, my son reached down there to see what he was producing; I stopped him while exclaiming, "Eww, gross!" He thought my reaction was hilarious, so much so that the word "eww" became a synonym for bodily wastes in our household. ("OK, now go to the potty and get out all your eww!")

To answer the OP's question, I want to run away when either of the kids has a temper tantrum. But running away is not an option, because I'm the more patient of the two parents, so it's my job to deal with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2015, 07:55 AM

15,818 posts, read 20,586,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
Your sense of humor is vastly different from mine. .
Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying it's OK to do this or encourage it or let it happen.

I'm just not going to let it make me angry or stressed out or feel negatively. I just laugh at it to myself as payback for all the crap I put my parents through going up.

Old 06-10-2015, 09:28 AM

20,048 posts, read 18,336,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying it's OK to do this or encourage it or let it happen.

I'm just not going to let it make me angry or stressed out or feel negatively. I just laugh at it to myself as payback for all the crap I put my parents through going up.
Some people DO deserve payback---considering the great parents they have/had!

Old 06-10-2015, 10:52 AM

20,420 posts, read 14,729,279 times
Two things come to mind...

When they were infants, and you know, sometimes no matter what you've done to provide every kind of care a baby needs, they are still just CRYING. And so, there were times, I would make sure baby was in a safe place (crib usually) and go sit outside on the back step for 15 minutes or so, to collect myself. It helped.

Now that they are teenagers, the issue that drives me nuts is tech support. I get dramatic texts about how the XBox or PS3 isn't working and they need me to tell them how to fix it, when I'm sitting at work like...seriously? Even if I was there, odds are, I wouldn't know what to do. I fix computers, but I don't know much about fixing consoles...or phones... And of course I'm not much more helpful at home, either. And they get all worked up over it and it gets on my nerves. I used to just tell them, "I'm sorry, can't help ya, get outta my face with this right now." Now I have decided to tell them instead, "Look. I don't know any more than you do what to do about this, but maybe if you Google it..."

Oh, and when one of them is tasked with a chore and all they can do is tell me how their sibling doesn't have as much work as them and it's not fair.

Those times make me want to leave the room...

Old 06-12-2015, 06:17 PM

20,048 posts, read 18,336,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
Two things come to mind...

When they were infants, and you know, sometimes no matter what you've done to provide every kind of care a baby needs, they are still just CRYING. And so, there were times, I would make sure baby was in a safe place (crib usually) and go sit outside on the back step for 15 minutes or so, to collect myself. It helped.

Now that they are teenagers, the issue that drives me nuts is tech support. I get dramatic texts about how the XBox or PS3 isn't working and they need me to tell them how to fix it, when I'm sitting at work like...seriously? Even if I was there, odds are, I wouldn't know what to do. I fix computers, but I don't know much about fixing consoles...or phones... And of course I'm not much more helpful at home, either. And they get all worked up over it and it gets on my nerves. I used to just tell them, "I'm sorry, can't help ya, get outta my face with this right now." Now I have decided to tell them instead, "Look. I don't know any more than you do what to do about this, but maybe if you Google it..."

Oh, and when one of them is tasked with a chore and all they can do is tell me how their sibling doesn't have as much work as them and it's not fair.

Those times make me want to leave the room...
I understand!

Old 06-17-2015, 09:10 AM

154 posts, read 260,263 times
When my twins were infants. Holy mother of God! The crying! One would wake up the other and then all hell would break loose, and the fact that I had a 3 and a 6 year old did not help.

Old 06-17-2015, 12:20 PM

505 posts, read 942,483 times
The only thing about my kids that is stressful is when the two are fighting over something (everything). If we can separate them, everything is fabulous. I don't want to run away, just keep the two boys apart at times.

Old 06-23-2015, 03:34 PM

1,492 posts, read 3,237,816 times
People want to leave when they are powerless to effect change.

In todays society there are so many rules and expectations imposed by others. Fear of intervention by social workers means that we dare not smack in public for example. I think we have a general disempowerment of parents. Kids do try to push boundaries like the poop throwing baby but they learn the boundaries if taught. The problem is we don't feel we can teach.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting