Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2015, 07:20 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,278,113 times

Advertisements

In another thread it was pointed out that since I don't have kids I can't know how difficult the job is, so here we are. My question is, with respect to school age children and a SAHM or SAHD, what is the difficult aspect of raising kids? I tried to get a response, but the most detailed response I received basically stated that the cooking, cleaning, laundry, & dishes make kids difficult, but those can all be outsourced for <$15/hr and none of those tasks are terribly difficult to accomplish.

Tireless, time consuming, & thankless are given attributes.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
Because I would like to know what is so difficult.

Get them up. 7am?
Feed them. 7:30am?
Drop them at school. 8:30am? (delete if bus service is available)
6-7 hrs later pick them up 3:30pm? (delete if bus service is available)
3:30 -8pm? fix snack, take to park, take to museum, go over homework, bathe, dinner??

She will probably be tired. Babies sleep in increments and then want to be fed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms.Mathlete View Post
It does sound easy if you leave out the mountains of dishes and laundry, as well as the routine up-keep of the home. Assuming there are no unplanned events, such as sick days, snow days, school breaks (remember, there are only 180 days of school), medical appointments, someone up all night puking, extracurriculars, or school functions. Babies are a walk in the park compared to the chaos of school-age children.
Quote:
There are 7+ hours to do laundry and wash dishes. Dishes practically wash themselves and laundry can be done by a wash N fold place. Even if you do all that yourself it's more time consuming than anything else. I mean, what have you actually mentioned that is difficult?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2015, 07:25 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,443,360 times
For a while, they require constant attention.

Old 03-19-2015, 07:25 PM

5,413 posts, read 6,716,433 times
Quote:
In another thread it was pointed out that since I don't have kids I can't know how difficult the job is, so here we are. My question is, with respect to school age children and a SAHM or SAHD, what is the difficult aspect of raising kids? I tried to get a response, but the most detailed response I received basically stated that the cooking, cleaning, laundry, & dishes make kids difficult, but those can all be outsourced for <$15/hr and none of those tasks are terribly difficult to accomplish.

Tireless, time consuming, & thankless are given attributes.
If you think that cleaning is the hard part of rising kids you are either going it wrong or are clueless. ...probably both.

Old 03-19-2015, 07:46 PM

49,927 posts, read 60,045,023 times
It never stops. Most of your time is not your own. Your decisions are made with them in mind as well.

It's one of those things you can't explain; you just have to experience it. It's a total shift in mindset.

Old 03-19-2015, 07:51 PM

1,019 posts, read 1,046,116 times
I have 3 kids, ages 4, 7, and 10. They're healthy, they're happy, and I'm a SAHM, happily married, solid middle class. So, really a fairly ideal situation.

Raising kids is both a great joy and a great responsibility. I don't think I'd call it the most difficult or stressful job I've ever had, but I haven't really been that challenged by mine yet. They're good kids, for the most part. Managing their care and all their activities takes some juggling, and as a parent you're always "on", trying to set a good example, being available, trying to do your best for them. You put your needs and desires behind theirs. At least, that's what I'm doing...certainly you can turn on the 24-hour cable news and find examples of those who are not.

Old 03-19-2015, 07:57 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,492,311 times
The physical and emotional demands of someone completely dependent on you, combined with the feeling of responsibility to them and the community to do it right. Even though no one can really provide definitive answers on what that looks like and how it's accomplished since every situation and every child is different. And no matter what you do, there's someone telling you you're doing it wrong which will result in the child either being a psychpath or useless and living in your basement forever. The constant anxiety resulting from thinking every mistake or bump in the road will result in screwing them up forever and it will be all your fault.

Oh...and all that while maintaining a healthy relationship with your spouse, doing a good job at work (or volunteering or whatever else is expected in your life) and a lovely and clean home.

Other than that....easy peasy.

Last edited by maciesmom; 03-19-2015 at 08:17 PM..

Old 03-19-2015, 08:06 PM

17,155 posts, read 12,988,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
It never stops. Most of your time is not your own. Your decisions are made with them in mind as well.

It's one of those things you can't explain; you just have to experience it. It's a total shift in mindset.
No I don't. Thank goodness for that

Old 03-19-2015, 08:15 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,583,510 times
So very grateful to have all the expert non-parents here set all the real-life parents straight. Kinda like having candy-stripers performing open-heart surgery.......

Old 03-19-2015, 08:27 PM

1,563 posts, read 2,375,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonderella View Post
I have 3 kids, ages 4, 7, and 10. They're healthy, they're happy, and I'm a SAHM, happily married, solid middle class. So, really a fairly ideal situation.

Raising kids is both a great joy and a great responsibility. I don't think I'd call it the most difficult or stressful job I've ever had, but I haven't really been that challenged by mine yet. They're good kids, for the most part. Managing their care and all their activities takes some juggling, and as a parent you're always "on", trying to set a good example, being available, trying to do your best for them. You put your needs and desires behind theirs. At least, that's what I'm doing...certainly you can turn on the 24-hour cable news and find examples of those who are not.
Wait til they are teenagers...

Old 03-19-2015, 08:31 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,443,360 times
I also believe in leading by example.
So out go the booze, cigs, junk food, vegging in front of TV, gossip...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting