Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: do you plan to pay for your child's college and first car?
will pay for their college education 79 53.74%
will pay for some/around half of their education 33 22.45%
will pay for just tiny bit of their education 10 6.80%
will buy their first car 70 47.62%
not paying for anything 21 14.29%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 147. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2015, 03:08 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,447,245 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
I've never heard of a class not transferring if your state has an agreement to take all CC classes.
Why do you really care how someone else finances their college degree? As long as they are not looking at you with their hand out what difference does it make?

Accepting for credit does not always equal accepting as the credit your college or major requires.

Last edited by maciesmom; 01-29-2015 at 03:18 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2015, 03:10 PM

12,547 posts, read 9,929,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Accepting for credit does not always equal accepting as the credit your college or major requires.
Every 4 year school I've been to requires students to take classes specific to their major at a university. That's nothing new and every kid should know that.

Old 01-29-2015, 03:15 PM

1,284 posts, read 1,260,095 times
Help out with college, sure, or any other post primary school endeavor if it's not college. We're already doing that with two. The oldest isn't getting any help because she won't behave responsibly. All three of these kids had our former cars passed to them, but realize this is over a period of 11 years, so there was three cars for three kids lol.

We don't help kids who won't help themselves, nor do we believe in paying 100% of their college expenses. They need to have a vested interest in this as well.

The youngest is only 7, but the same rules will apply.

I don't believe parents OWE their kids a free ride in college, personally.

Old 01-29-2015, 03:17 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,447,245 times
Quote:
Every 4 year school I've been to requires students to take classes specific to their major at a university. That's nothing new and every kid should know that.
It is not unusual for certain programs to require higher level or more specific classes that can be taken freshman or sophomore year and counted toward core requirements as well, thus allowing students to move through the program at a certain pace. Which saves money in the long run. But this has been explained numerous times. No one is asking you for money here so who cares?

Old 01-29-2015, 03:53 PM

795 posts, read 1,008,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unknown00 View Post
i'm asian and our tradition is to pay for our children's entire college education and buy them their first car. that's a lot of money a parent has to save. do you plan to do the same?
Yes we did for 3. All out of pocket. We are not rich and sacrificed, worked very hard to accomplish this. No regrets. Our kids are the most important thing in our lives.
BTW-We are not Asian.

Old 01-29-2015, 03:58 PM

2,966 posts, read 3,914,577 times
Quote:
So while working a little you're looking at a max of around $50k. That's certainly manageable debt if the major guarantees employment.
But why would a parent WANT their child to start off in tens of thousands of dollars of debt if they can afford otherwise? I just really don't get it.

Old 01-29-2015, 04:14 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,898,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strawflower View Post
But why would a parent WANT their child to start off in tens of thousands of dollars of debt if they can afford otherwise? I just really don't get it.
I can't figure this out either. I get it that there are people who can't help their kids. I get it that there are parents who can only help their kids a little bit. What I don't get is parents who could help their kids with college and just refuse.

Old 01-29-2015, 04:38 PM

4,977 posts, read 5,763,878 times
Quote:
I've never heard of a class not transferring if your state has an agreement to take all CC classes.
Two of my kids attend(ed) private universities. They both preferred courses be taken at their universities. It would have been more expensive to add courses from a CC, since the tuition at the privates were a flat rate, not a per credit fee.

Quote:
If a major is that intense I would expect guaranteed employment and a lucrative starting salary - that means the kid would be able to easily pay back 4-5 years at a state university.
My 2 graduates are employed. One was offered a job the week he graduated. Very high 5 figures. The other had multiple offers to choose from months BEFORE he even graduated. He's one of those recent private university grads making 6 figures that's being discussed on another thread here somewhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by strawflower View Post
I don't understand this either. MY parents paid for my education, so I never had debt from school. I could give that same advantage to my kids, so they will be able to save for a house, or whatever they choose, much earlier and easier than if they had student loans to repay.

Old 01-29-2015, 04:38 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,704,934 times
Quote:
So while working a little you're looking at a max of around $50k. That's certainly manageable debt if the major guarantees employment.
Would you please answer the question several of us have asked-why do you care so much about this?

Old 01-29-2015, 05:04 PM

12,547 posts, read 9,929,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
It is not unusual for certain programs to require higher level or more specific classes that can be taken freshman or sophomore year and counted toward core requirements as well, thus allowing students to move through the program at a certain pace. Which saves money in the long run. But this has been explained numerous times. No one is asking you for money here so who cares?
And as I said, if you're one of the 1% that simply can't go to CC - you're looking at ~$50k. That's manageable debt as long as your kid doesn't major in basket weaving.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting