Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2014, 10:16 AM

7,068 posts, read 6,499,324 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by POedMom View Post
Of course we are around but the kids get home at 3:30 and my husband and I aren't home until five or six. I had no idea all of this was going on.
And if this story is indeed true, what do you think certain kids are going to be doing unsupervised/without any parents around for a few hours?

Quote:
Originally Posted by POedMom View Post
He spends a lot of time on his computer but I had ZERO knowledge of any of this.
Again, be a parent and take responsibility and learn all the various ways software wise you can lock down a computer. Good grief.

Old 09-13-2014, 11:13 AM

548 posts, read 818,813 times
My wife has spent her career working sort of at the intersection of the criminal justice and social services world, and yes, it is entirely plausible that there are women out there who would just up and leave home and show up to meet and move in with an unverified internet dude, kid in tow. That's not unbelievable, that level of dysfunction is "Tuesday" in my wife's world. If the woman had offered up said kid to be raped with her permission by the dude first, that would be notable, but not something my wife hasn't seen a number of times over the years. The level of craziness and desperation and depravity out there is mind blowing. That doesn't make the OP's story true as other parts of it are odd / don't add up, but the crazy woman is actually one of the more believable parts.

As for those who find it to be harmless fun, WTF?!?!?!? How in the world is toying with people's lives in a way that causes hurt and humiliation like that anything but _cruelty_, not humor? Do you guys enjoy tripping people in hallways too? Clearly this went way beyond the level of a prank phone call. Indeed, if the story is true, soliciting gifts by constructing a false identity is actually wire fraud.

Old 09-13-2014, 11:30 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,296,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neguy99 View Post
That doesn't make the OP's story true as other parts of it are odd / don't add up, but the crazy woman is actually one of the more believable parts.
I still don't believe it. Not from a first time poster. Too many other things are unbelievable too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neguy99 View Post
Indeed, if the story is true, soliciting gifts by constructing a false identity is actually wire fraud.
This falls under the FBI's jurisdiction.

FBI; Looking for Love? Beware of Online Dating Scams

FBI; Online Dating Extortion and Other Scams

FBI Warns About Online Dating Scams - Forbes

Internet Crime Complaint Center (IC3) | Home

Old 09-13-2014, 11:33 AM

4,862 posts, read 7,986,271 times
If true I kind of look at it like this. Many are using leave it to beaver standards for 2014. Today we are living in the beginning of the technological age. Throw in a teenage male and yea it can happen.

This one of those male situations you take Jr to a room and explain that you have to read him the riot act so mom can hear. After that you explain why what he did was wrong especially bringing it to the house and get the full story on what was said and to who.

This is 2014 and boys will be boys. Your dealing with a 15 year old and puberty. Do people really think he is working with a stable mindset? Then again he has learned game at an early age.

Cmon. Woman shows up at door with a kid and had no clue she was conversing with a child?

Old 09-13-2014, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caltovegas View Post
Cmon. Woman shows up at door with a kid and had no clue she was conversing with a child?
Ever hear of Frank Abagnale?

Old 09-13-2014, 11:41 AM

610 posts, read 701,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parentologist View Post
If this thread is for real, and I hope it's not, I'd send the kid to military school. Yesterday. I'm hoping this is a made up thread, but if it's not, you've raised a sociopath. (Although since you said this is a stepson, I don't know how much you've had to do with the raising of him, and he is not your genetic material, so he certainly didn't inherit it from you.) You cannot "counsel" a sociopath. Therapy just teaches them how to better conceal their sociopathic behavior, while continuing to harm people to get what they want. Be upfront with the school about what he has done, so that they will know exactly what they are dealing with. If you cannot afford military school (and this would be the sort of thing that you drain the college fund and mortgage the house to pay for), then get everything out of his room except a mattress on the floor, and two sets of clothing. Directly supervise him every minute that he is not in school or after school sports/activities (and you have to verify every day that he was there), so that he has no access to the means to exploit and harm other people. No phone, no computer, no nothing. This is not going to get better. YOU should get therapy, to help you deal with the grief over the realization that you/your husband have raised a sociopath. Have him get a job the day he turns 16, and take 90 percent of what he earns, leaving him just enough to keep him willing to work. Use it to make restitution to his victims, and let him know that you are doing this. If he objects, explain to him that no matter how smart he thinks he is, eventually he will get caught by the law if he exploits and harms other people, and will wind up in prison, and pay financial restitution, so he should just consider this as your effort to have him learn his lesson now, before he becomes a convicted felon.

I am so sorry for your trouble. As awful as this is, take comfort in the fact that he has not yet been arrested. It could have been worse.
LOL! Send a sociopath into the military, where he'll be given a gun and the freedom to kill people from other countries.

You must be the world's single most qualified "parentologist."

Old 09-13-2014, 11:45 AM

61,286 posts, read 87,624,769 times
everyone that uses eharmony should read this thread.

Old 09-13-2014, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leavingIL View Post
You must be the world's single most qualified "parentologist."
I'm having a hard time reconciling psychopath and military school being in the same post.

I don't think what the kid did qualifies as psychopath either on its own.

Old 09-13-2014, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
everyone that uses eharmony should read this thread.
The FBI recommends using a nationally reputable dating website. It's in the FBI links I provided.

Old 09-13-2014, 01:18 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,199,774 times
The "victim' got what she deserved. Let's hope she and others learn a lesson from this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting