Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2014, 09:20 AM

48,209 posts, read 22,035,304 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
Why would you expect his new wife to support your child? It's not her child. It is up to you and your child's father to support your child. The new wife will support her own children if she ever has any. I hope the courts rule against you on this one. Your child support should not be based on her income. She wasn't responsible for making this child.

And she could get you back when she has kids. If she were to divorce your ex (and still live together) and have a child support order from him, that would reduce your child support. You might want to think long and hard before you go after his wife for child support. That is just a evil thing to do and she might return the favor.
I agree......it is just an evil thing to do........and much harm and nothing good will come of it. It really seems to be driven by unresolved feelings about the divorce and a need to punish......I think if it went thru ..... the child would be the loser.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2014, 06:28 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,577,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elston View Post
I agree......it is just an evil thing to do........and much harm and nothing good will come of it. It really seems to be driven by unresolved feelings about the divorce and a need to punish......I think if it went thru ..... the child would be the loser.
I see this ending very badly. All the new wife has to do is divorce and live with him to get out from under any child support order and she will NOT be happy about that.

I agree that this seems motivated by unresolved feelings about the divorce. It seems she wants the woman who stands in her place to pay. I would hope that courts would not use her wages do determine child support. It's not her child and she never agreed to support the child.

Old 09-06-2014, 06:38 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,577,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
As others have written, the OP has not been back (it's only been 2 days, though).

I am very curious about this whole issue ... especially with teenagers who go on to become college students. ALL the colleges I have looked at (of course, that's not "all colleges"! ) require that stepparents' income be counted when determining financial aid. This doesn't seem to have changed much in the past 30 years or so -- at least, I remember when I was applying for financial aid that long ago, I couldn't get it because my stepfather made too much money (my mom made very little, my bio dad died when I was a toddler) -- even though there was no way in he11 I was going to get a penny from him (he wasn't mean, it just didn't occur to him when he married my mom that he might be requested to pay her kids' college expenses). The rationale seems to be, when you marry someone with kids, you DO share in the "burden" of supporting said kids.

I don't want to hijack this thread -- my question seems relevant, but if a mod wants to move it, that's fine!
I couldn't get financial aid because the total of my mother's income, my step father's income from the two jobs he worked, my father's income and my step mother's income from her inheritance was way too high. My father paid a whole $8/week in child support. I would have had a free ride to college if he had paid nothing because then I wouldn't have had to have claimed either his income or his wife's income (both substantial).

The reason he only paid $8/week is he was unemployed at the time of the divorce. He nearly killed my mother once and she was too scared to go back to court to get child support increased. My step father chose to work two jobs instead. They really need to revamp how financial aid is calculated. Step parents incomes should not be considered and if parental income is going to be considered then make the parents pay. My father told me point blank "You don't need a degree to make babies". He wasn't going put one red cent towards sending a daughter to college.

Old 09-06-2014, 08:42 PM

51,659 posts, read 25,891,462 times
Good grief, folks. She says quite clearly she is not looking for an increase, only the child support she is supposed to be getting and that the sergeant who married her ex is supporting the ex.

It's no wonder she hasn't been back to C-D what with all the accusations and name calling going on here.

I hope she has contacted the child support enforcement office.

Old 09-08-2014, 08:55 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,380,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by misshoney0818 View Post
I am a single working parent and I have a teenage child with ex- husband. The ex has been happily married to new spouse who is an Army Sergent who has a steady income. I want to know if it's worth fighting and going to court to see if new spouse income could be factored into the child support calcualtion. This would give the ex no excuse that he has no money. If new spouse loves him enough to take care of him, give him a place to live, and her car to drive, then her funds should be factored into child support. No I am not looking to get an increase I'm just looking for ways to get him to do what is right. Surely if I was to remarry my new husband and my income would support my child and no need to go to court for that this would be automatic. That's why I believe the new spouse's income should be factored in child support. The ex and new spouse should do the same and provide income for my daughter. When 2 people marry they become as one. If ex has an obligation to provide for his daughter and fails to do so then the new spouse should share in this responsibility since the two are now one. I just notice how ex's are jumping ship in not taking care of their children and living it up by being taken care of by their new spouse. If there was a law that stated new spouse's income would be highly considere and /or included for the dead beat parent's financial obligation (child support), they would think twice about marriage or they could encourage the deadbeat parent to become responsible!

What are your thoughts?
Show me where it says that she has any kind of support arangement? She mentions that he uses the excuse of having no money. It sounds from the way the OP wrote the post that the Ex has no regular income to get a support order from. I don't think that the Ex has much going for him at all, other than he is good at getting women to take care of him. He has no money to offer for child support. In California she would get nothing if the Ex were not working.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Good grief, folks. She says quite clearly she is not looking for an increase, only the child support she is supposed to be getting and that the sergeant who married her ex is supporting the ex.

It's no wonder she hasn't been back to C-D what with all the accusations and name calling going on here.

I hope she has contacted the child support enforcement office.
Please show me where you are getting your conclusion from?

Old 09-09-2014, 01:33 PM

15 posts, read 14,146 times
I am a step mother and I'm sorry but I do not believe that the new spouse should have any financial responsibility for the child you gave birth to. They are not legally responsible for the child. I financially support the children in my home, but it is not my obligation to help care for the child when they are in the MOTHER'S home. I am not the mother or father. I take care of them when they are with me.

Old 09-10-2014, 06:07 AM

51,659 posts, read 25,891,462 times
Whether we believe or don't believe that men should be required to support the children they help create, there are laws about this.

In many states, if the father voluntarily reduces his income (i.e. lays around like a bum and lets his new wife support him), the spouse's income can be tapped for the child support.

What would you prefer, that the taxpayers pick up his share the tab? That the kids go without?

Such odd responses on this link.

Old 09-11-2014, 05:56 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,442,433 times
The OP has never come back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting