Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2014, 07:54 AM

90,296 posts, read 121,111,670 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXNGL View Post
I agree. Yes. I guess my point this whole time, and I got distracted, is the whole structured environment deal. There are so many parents in certain areas, who flip out if their tots aren't in a ton of "programs" and I think (just my opinion) that they are missing the forest for the trees.
Well, what is the concern with what other parents do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2014, 07:55 AM

172 posts, read 181,541 times
In my area I would say it's split 50/50 with those parents who choose activities and those who choose none. I live in a suburb of a large city though, we're probably a little more laid back.

Quote:
So when I get asked why my kid hasn't been enrolled in activities, I need to "justify" my parenting. Um, how about I just give an answer, something like "No she isn't. So how's the weather tomorrow?", like most normal people would respond.
What is wrong with that response? I met someone at a party a few months ago who had a daughter the same age as mine. I asked her what preschool she was sending her daughter to. My bad for assuming but she launched into a diatribe about how preschool wasn't necessary and the rest of her kids were fine without it and it was a waste of money and time. Obviously it was a sore subject but I was honestly just making conversation. I wish she had just said, "Nowhere. So how's the weather?" instead of going 0-60 fighting some imagined battle strike from me in the Mommy War. She came off as really insecure in her choice.

So I say be confident in your choice and if people keep persisting that you justify, stand tall and shut them down. "I am comfortable that we made the right choice for my child and family. How is that weather?", keep repeating until people realize that you won't allow them to tear you down to build themselves up.

Last edited by CarolinaPig; 09-02-2014 at 08:39 AM..

Old 09-02-2014, 08:21 PM

3,488 posts, read 8,237,252 times
I'm the exact parent you are talking about! We have a lot scheduled and I am a SAHM to a 2 year old.

Monday: Little Gym
Tuesday: Free
Wednesday: morning Preschool (starts tomorrow)
Thursday: regular play date
Friday: free play at Little Gym.

I will absolutely say that doing these activities is as much for me as it is for her!
We did the YMCA classes until recently, but we've done Little Gym for several months and she LOVES it. It's so confidence building and when she's having a great time, I'm having a great time!
Preschool is going to be wonderful for both of us. She will get a couple of hours of independence from me, and more importantly I will have a couple of hours a week just for myself. It will make me a better parent to have some down time... even if it's just a couple of hours a week.
Her regular play date is a godsend. We are 5 Moms with similar aged kids and we've been meeting every Thursday for well over a year. I like these ladies, we would be friends even without kids and we chat while the kiddos play. It's socialization for the kids AND the parents.

It's a lot to have scheduled, but it works for us!

Old 09-02-2014, 10:35 PM

9,418 posts, read 13,549,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Well, what is the concern with what other parents do?
The only concern, for me, is the pressure they are putting on their children. But, you are correct, it's their choice.

Old 09-02-2014, 10:39 PM

9,418 posts, read 13,549,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobokenkitchen View Post
I'm the exact parent you are talking about! We have a lot scheduled and I am a SAHM to a 2 year old.

Monday: Little Gym
Tuesday: Free
Wednesday: morning Preschool (starts tomorrow)
Thursday: regular play date
Friday: free play at Little Gym.

I will absolutely say that doing these activities is as much for me as it is for her!
We did the YMCA classes until recently, but we've done Little Gym for several months and she LOVES it. It's so confidence building and when she's having a great time, I'm having a great time!
Preschool is going to be wonderful for both of us. She will get a couple of hours of independence from me, and more importantly I will have a couple of hours a week just for myself. It will make me a better parent to have some down time... even if it's just a couple of hours a week.
Her regular play date is a godsend. We are 5 Moms with similar aged kids and we've been meeting every Thursday for well over a year. I like these ladies, we would be friends even without kids and we chat while the kiddos play. It's socialization for the kids AND the parents.

It's a lot to have scheduled, but it works for us!
I don't see this as overscheduled at all. Sounds fun!

Old 09-03-2014, 01:52 PM

2,547 posts, read 4,242,018 times
I'm one of those parents. We tried a lot of different activities with my four year old since he was 7 months old. I'm glad I did. I was one of those kids growing up with no other kids around and I had terrible problems with social skills and not knowing how to play with other kids. I didn't want my son to have the same issues so we started early, to get him used to being around others, interacting, playing, as well as listening, following instructions, etc. When he was younger we lived in a small apartment in a city where it rained a lot, I didn't have many friends (actually most of my friendships have been made through kids), I was a sahm and he needed a lot of stimulation. We would boh start getting bored and stir crazy if we sat at home all day, and getting out somewhere with a safe place he could run around and explore without me having to hover over him was a lifesaver. It's been nothing but helpful - he's not a particularly athletic kid and gymnastics classes have done wonders for his attempting things he wouldn't do with us or on his own. And yes,there is such a thing as socializing babies as I've observed - at seven months we started a free baby program at the library where they'd sit around with a bunch of toys and sing songs etc. We all saw the progress in the babies - at first, they would play with the toys but not approach the other babies, some would get scared and start crying, hang on to the moms etc. But as time progressed they all got a lot more comfortable, join in happily, stop getting overstimulated, and were no longer afraid of the other babies, would grab and 'explore' them, smile more, it was really cool to see. So yes, I do believe there is definite value to these things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting