Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2014, 03:37 PM

352 posts, read 327,721 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razz2525 View Post
I enjoy sleeping through the night and the fact that my boys can (almost) make themselves breakfast. I like the fact that I no longer am able to even carry them and that I have finally reached my pre-pregnancy weight through a new healthier way of eating and exercise. I am feeling good about myself again both mentally and physically so why am I actually considering "going for the girl" since I have 2 boys?

I do admit I had a bit of an angry episode last night when my boys barely paid attention to what I was saying and I didn't feel DH was appropriately supporting me. I do get the "mommy takes things too personally" when I feel all this testosterone in the house gets overwhelming. I grew up an "old soul" according to my older son's counselor (he has ADHD and possibly ASD) - I grew up with a mother in her late 30's and a father in his early 40's and they were both educators and quiet. People would call the house and remark about how quiet it was. My mother was a bit of a yeller when she got angry but never my father. In general, we lived in a reserved household where everyone was reading or watching public television. Cut to my household which has 2 very loud boys crashing about the house at 5am and DH sounds like a Latin Fred Flinstone all the time lmao. I literally can't think: the TV is going, toys are crashing, boys are stomping and DH is watching videos in his office and of course no one listens to me when I call everyone down to dinner or asks for the TV upstairs to go off when the one downstairs is on, when my older son mouths off to me right before DH walks in and rewards him with the latest sports gear, etc. etc. Sigh.

I think I'm actually deluding myself into thinking that by having a girl, I will have someone "in my corner" or someone who will be quiet and listen...? I hear these stories all the time of people who have boys who are bouncing off the walls and the girl is playing quietly. Or maybe I'm feeling my age as if my time to have children is coming to an end and this is my last chance. Ugh. One day I totally want to go for it, the next day especially when my children misbehave, I tell myself, no... way...

What's wrong with me? Seriously, I should be living it up right now, enjoying my time for a change and I seem to be in a hurry to change that.

And the $64,000 question from DH is "Will I have to wheel you from the maternity ward to the psych ward if you have another boy?"

Maybe it's something you ate?

But seriously though, at your age you should probably just wait for the grandkids to come along, they're less work and more fun. Your boys will marry women (most likely) and you can take them in as the daughters you never had. As an added bonus, you won't have to suffer through a moody teenage girl. If you really do want a girl child, don't do it biologically, but instead adopt a girl from a bad situation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2014, 05:15 PM

2,631 posts, read 2,385,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Molli View Post
I have a girlfriend who is a twin. My girlfriend has 6 boys, at which time they stopped trying for a girl. Her twin sister had 6 girls, at which time they stopped trying for a boy!
That's humorous in a heart-warming way.

Right now I'm wondering if it's pure coincidence or something genetic...

Old 08-29-2014, 05:17 PM

2,106 posts, read 1,911,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Megan2514 View Post
Have you considered adoption?
My question, too. Think very hard about how you would feel about giving birth to another boy.

Old 08-29-2014, 07:25 PM

37,237 posts, read 42,596,023 times
I had a tiny bit of "baby fever" in my 40's and I think it was hormonal. Like a last hurrah or something that your body signals to your brain. I did not follow through on it though

Old 08-29-2014, 09:10 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,650,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by animalcrazy View Post
I've never had children but I've had both boys and girls in my life. I can't say one sex is better then the other ,but rather it's an individual preference. I had to give one of the girls back because she was too high maintenance.
My goodness. What on earth do you mean?

Old 08-30-2014, 07:01 AM

13,753 posts, read 13,506,057 times
Quick! Spit one out before it's too late!!!

Old 08-30-2014, 08:12 AM

1,637 posts, read 3,854,046 times
There is a biological reason for this. Mother Nature is trying to encourage you to squeeze in one last baby before your childbearing years are over. This is normal, and does not mean you need a baby! Especially because a lot of women in their 40s can have twins....as ovulation gets more erratic, the body can release multiple eggs per cycle. You could end up with babieS.

I have 4 kids, and now that I see how expensive they are, I kinda think it was foolish to have 4! lol I am sending my oldest off to college next year, I will have 3 in college at once and just the thought makes me break out into a sweat. Forget saving for retirement, I have kids to put through college first.

I always tell people....when you picture having another child, do you picture a BABY or a snotty teenager? lol Because the baby years are short. Don't get sucked in by the easy part, think about supporting this person for the next 18 years. The expense, the delay of your retirement, saving for college. And that's if you have a healthy child. I have 1 child with autism and chronic medical problems, and that is something I didn't plan for.

Not to be a pessimist, but know that this "baby craving as you approach menopause" thing is normal.

Old 08-30-2014, 08:57 AM

18,759 posts, read 11,925,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
My goodness. What on earth do you mean?

These two sisters adopted us from one of the rental properties. I've never had biological children but for some reason I've always been a kid magnet. These two shorties would come over every time we were working on the rental and stay with us for hours. Pretty soon their friend would come over and it wasn't unusual having three or four kids running through the house and their pets as well. They soon asked us if they could spend the night. The two sisters wound up coming for the night and pretty soon their friend that is high maintenance started spending the night as well. The girl that lives two doors down from our house started hanging around with the other shorties in the neighborhood at our house, and soon became friends with the two sisters. She started sleeping over with the girls. Their friend soon became jealous and disruptive at the sleep overs. She would sulk, cry, and want to go home every time she didn't get her way. Her father had to come and get her 30 minutes into her last sleep over. I told the father that I was sorry but she couldn't come back. She wound up being held back a grade because she wasn't mature enough to advance and she is now in a private school. Girls can be difficult on an emotional level. The three brothers that lived across the street and were with me for most of their childhood were very violent. There was an only boy that lived down the street that was with me all the time as well. The oldest brother was very violent and keeping him from pounding on his brothers and the neighbor child was a challenge. Every child is different and you just don't know what you'll end up with. I had it easy because I have just the fun part. (Expensive too.) I always get to send them home at the end of our adventures to their parents that have to do the day to day difficult things. I always knew that I wasn't cut out to raise children and for some reason never had that hormone driven emotion about having children. I've talked to many parents that have told me that they wished to remain childless. That to me is tragic. Just think long and hard about it before you make that decision. The two sisters' father is in his 60's trying to cope with teenagers now. He's miserable, tired, and now has health issues. I know at 57 I'm exhausted after our sleep overs. The last one lasted three days.

Old 09-01-2014, 11:02 PM

546 posts, read 1,830,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
I don't want to burst your bubble, but I have three boys. I have 6 friends who have three boys. I know of exactly one person who had two sons and went on to have a daughter.

There was a time when I wanted my third to be a girl, in the worst way. It passed. I adore my boys, and can't imagine it any other way.

Three boys here too, and I have to say, I have NEVER experienced baby fever since the birth of the 3rd. It's wild, loud, crazy and chaotic but I adore my boys. We went for #3 kind of figuring it would be a boy. When I am feeling overwhelmed by all the boy energy I take our dog (girl) on a walk or go get a pedicure
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting