Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2014, 04:28 PM

46,038 posts, read 61,559,079 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meyerland View Post
It's actually harmful for a child to be taught to read before they are developmentally ready. They have so much they need to learn as toddlers, and people just want to rush them. Sure there are a few kids who are ready earlier than most, but they are not the norm.

The best things parents can do for kids is to read aloud wonderful picture books every night. Expose your young kids to books, but don't push them.

You need to tell Bill Gates and Arne Duncan, among many others such as the academicians who developed Common Core, this.

They won't listen but you tried.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2014, 04:53 PM

6,720 posts, read 8,463,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
You need to tell Bill Gates and Arne Duncan, among many others such as the academicians who developed Common Core, this.

They won't listen but you tried.
Even many teachers feel that you should push really early reading. My experience in PK/K and reading and early childhood specialization tell me otherwise.

Old 08-22-2014, 05:09 PM

7,776 posts, read 12,532,196 times
no kudzu, as you know when you write Americans do this or Americans do that, you are saying ALL Americans, which is ridiculous. All Americans are citizens of their country and that is one of the few ways we can all be referred to that includes all of us. Do you really think ALL Americans are stupid and that includes you if you are an American. Do you fall for every con ad you see? What's a con ad?

Old 08-22-2014, 05:23 PM

6,418 posts, read 7,309,578 times
Quote:
It's actually harmful for a child to be taught to read before they are developmentally ready. They have so much they need to learn as toddlers, and people just want to rush them. Sure there are a few kids who are ready earlier than most, but they are not the norm.

The best things parents can do for kids is to read aloud wonderful picture books every night. Expose your young kids to books, but don't push them.
Absolutely agree with this.

Old 08-22-2014, 05:27 PM

46,038 posts, read 61,559,079 times
Quote:
Even many teachers feel that you should push really early reading. My experience in PK/K and reading and early childhood specialization tell me otherwise.

It's not so much they want to, although some do, it's that they have no choice because of the new "voluntary" guidelines.

Old 08-22-2014, 06:12 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,408,934 times
Quote:
I taught a little boy that the parents taught to "read" by age two. He had tremendous issues with reading comprehension and also socialization. He was still doing parallel play at age 5.

they could give him a college level text book and he could decode most of the words. He didn't understand it of course. This was a party trick for the parents.

He also had memorized addition facts with no real knowledge of what it meant. He couldn't even count objects to 20.

I advised the parents to back off pushing the reading, and working on comprehension through their reading aloud to him.

He actually exited kinder on level with his peers and they learned to not put the cart before the horse.
One of the students in my Cognitive Disability class also had an amazing ability to decode and say words correctly. But, his comprehension was almost completely nonexistent, and his overall skill levels were at the three year level. No matter how hard I tried to explain to his parents that just because their darling seven year old son was decoding high school and college level words he was not a genius that should be referred to the gifted and talented program (the apple did not fall far from the tree in the case of that family).

Old 08-22-2014, 06:59 PM

4,829 posts, read 8,776,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
Where did we ever get the idea that an early reader meant a kid who would excel academically? It just means he learned how to read early---and sometimes lost interest pretty early as well.

In fact sometimes it turns out that a late reader or late bloomer can be the most gifted kid in the room.

Because people loooove to brag!! Oh, well my little Molly has been reading since she's 1 1/2. My Johnny boy can do addition and subtraction and he hasn't even started Kindergarten yet!!

It's the competitive thing --- and it takes away a lot of the guilt of dumping their kids with sitters for 10-12 hours a day OR makes the SAHM or SAHD look like they're doing an ahhhh maaaaazing job with the tots!

Old 08-22-2014, 07:01 PM

6,720 posts, read 8,463,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
One of the students in my Cognitive Disability class also had an amazing ability to decode and say words correctly. But, his comprehension was almost completely nonexistent, and his overall skill levels were at the three year level. No matter how hard I tried to explain to his parents that just because their darling seven year old son was decoding high school and college level words he was not a genius that should be referred to the gifted and talented program (the apple did not fall far from the tree in the case of that family).
Exactly! These parents were clueless about what a small child actually needed to work on. He had very poor social skills, fine motor, gross motor, and nothing was wrong with him. Once they started working on this stuff he blossomed.

My recommendation....play dates. Lots of play dates and time playing all kinds of games.

Old 08-22-2014, 09:37 PM

1,733 posts, read 2,199,235 times
I learned to read early - age three or four - I don't remember NOT being able to read. And I wasn't any brighter than anyone else. I actually struggled in math, and was a below-average student.

Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
Yup! Hyperlexia. That's really sad they are excited and don't see what's really going on.

Old 08-22-2014, 10:38 PM

440 posts, read 719,726 times
I taught myself to read when I was two; I matched up the words on the page to the words my mother was speaking as she read to me. At some point I could pick up a brand new book and read it. At first, I didn't really comprehend what I was reading, but within a couple of months, I understood and could remember what I read. A lot of was newspaper stories about the Vietnam War.

However, I don't think that this can be *taught*. My mother had been a first grade teacher before I was born, and some people assumed she'd *taught* me to read. She enabled the learning by reading to me, but she didn't teach me. It happened more or less spontaneously
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting