Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2014, 02:04 PM

4,749 posts, read 4,331,589 times

Advertisements

Screw her and that stinking apology!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2014, 02:27 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,676,754 times
Why cann't Kroger's tell this lady not to swear in their store? Lady didn't need to call police she could tell the store manager.

Old 08-17-2014, 02:49 PM

13,981 posts, read 26,005,301 times
Yes, the other shopper should have butted out. Yes, the arrest was ridiculous. Yet, somehow, I'm having trouble mustering up much sympathy for this mother's plight. Maybe it provided a wake-up call on how to talk to, or in front of, her kids.

Old 08-17-2014, 03:29 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,251,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
Why cann't Kroger's tell this lady not to swear in their store? Lady didn't need to call police she could tell the store manager.
You mean like the "swear police"? Only employed by the store?

No thanks.

Old 08-17-2014, 04:21 PM

2,365 posts, read 2,154,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
Yes, the other shopper should have butted out. Yes, the arrest was ridiculous. Yet, somehow, I'm having trouble mustering up much sympathy for this mother's plight. Maybe it provided a wake-up call on how to talk to, or in front of, her kids.
Or, when in public.

The arrest is stupid, unless she went off on the cops. There are laws against Breach of Peace, assuming everyone is entitled to not listen to any garbage anyone wants to spew for a prolonged period of time.

I dont mean this like a put-down or anything, but dont they have cable TV and radio stations in AL? Most of us file that under PG-13, but if it escallated to a full out confrontational arguement that not even the arrival of Police could put a rational stop to, then they would surely arrest her.

I would be upset in that video too. My reputation, both as a citizen and mother, are put into question with these charges. The video gave me the vibe of someone who is genuinely hurt, and not very bright. I dont mean that as a put down, but I came to the conclusion in listening to her bring her anwers and thoughts forward. Perhaps I missunderstand, and its just shock, or a speech impediment. It would also probably strap me with additional bills that I didnt need.

As a society, we need to be a little more accepting of others. There is something to be said for minding one's business, and not looking to prosteletize to and prosecute your simple fellow man and citizen.

Its just mean-spirited and stupid all around.

Old 08-17-2014, 05:29 PM

421 posts, read 557,420 times
She did tell the manager. Who called the police hasn't been verified

Old 08-17-2014, 06:23 PM

8,793 posts, read 8,188,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
This is the problem.

So whet if she was mean? Freedom of speech means even not nice speech is protected. She has the right to tell the lady who reported her to go f--- herself, same for the cop. You can't constitutionally arrest people for what they say. Even if you think a snapshot of time warrants claiming "verbal abuse" than call cps, start an investigation, whatever, but it is fundamentally unconstitutional to limit someone's speech by arresting them.

I hope she gets an ACLU lawyer and gets that stupid, very old law off the books.
Her cop-cussing ruled fighting words, not free speech | First Amendment Center

Soon states will be issuing traning materials to all residents -- it will consist of the entire "Leave it to Beaver" series ON DVD with notes on how each of us robots are to deport ourselves.

Old 08-17-2014, 08:04 PM

8 posts, read 13,888 times
well, looks like she got busted for not being a "Stepford Wife".. they'll change that soon enough..

Old 08-17-2014, 08:14 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,775,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
Her cop-cussing ruled fighting words, not free speech | First Amendment Center

Soon states will be issuing traning materials to all residents -- it will consist of the entire "Leave it to Beaver" series ON DVD with notes on how each of us robots are to deport ourselves.
Fighting words would have required her to curse at the cop or the patron. Neither of those happened.

"fighting words — words that the U.S. Supreme Court defined as those which by their utterance inflict injury or incite an immediate breach of the peace"

From your own source. Fighting words does not apply in this instance.

Old 08-17-2014, 09:52 PM

8,793 posts, read 8,188,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
Fighting words would have required her to curse at the cop or the patron. Neither of those happened.

"fighting words — words that the U.S. Supreme Court defined as those which by their utterance inflict injury or incite an immediate breach of the peace"

From your own source. Fighting words does not apply in this instance.
It didn't in the other either... My point is that moe often than not, the LAW is becoming whatever suits the mood of the judge(s).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting