Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2014, 10:56 AM

5,103 posts, read 8,675,480 times

Advertisements

Yes, the fall stuff is coming in at the camping and sporting stores (Dick's, etc). I needed a new jacket, as well. I try to avoid the "back to school" crowds.

The cooler weather stuff seems to come in here about mid-September or so. Until them, we can still get 90 degree days. I can remember having to layer clothing as a student, plus we didn't start until the day after Labor Day. Our schools didn't have a/c back then. The morning could be 40 degrees and then it might be 82 or higher by 3 pm.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2014, 11:47 AM

3,493 posts, read 7,978,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
We went to Justice...
The above four words make me so happy to be paying college tuition. Yes, they grow up fast, but the good side of it is that I will never have to go to Justice again.

Old 08-15-2014, 12:29 PM

11,495 posts, read 27,013,576 times
We don't do back to school shopping, but I guess I'm lucky that my 12 year old doesn't wear kid's sizes anymore, because when we do need something for her, we have no trouble finding exactly what she wants. She won't wear sparkly things anymore either.

Old 08-15-2014, 12:32 PM

421 posts, read 559,172 times
Back to school shopping was a huge deal when I was a kid. For me it was the only time I got clothes all year (even of I grew). But also there was real pressure to have a new outfit for each day of the first week. There were no issues with brand names though. No one wore them.

My kids could care less. And neither wear jeans. I sort through their clothes a couple times a year and donate what hey grew out of and throw out anything tattered and just replace them. But here in texas they can wear shorts most of the year and my daughter will only wear legging type pants (they are baggy on her because he is very thin) and flees pants for my son because he likes how they feel. They are still young. Almost 8 and 9.

I have no idea what I will do if we move north.

Old 08-15-2014, 01:23 PM

13,982 posts, read 26,080,013 times
Kudzu, do you have a Kohl's nearby? Their ad today had a promo code for $10 off $30 in the juniors dept. Online, the code is TREND10. They were showing fall clothes in the ad.

Old 08-15-2014, 01:25 PM

14,784 posts, read 24,218,253 times
what ever happened to parents buying at the thrift stores for clothes ? . My god some of the clothes I see in there for kids are really cheap and they still look new and if you don't tell anyone they would never know where they came from there is no shame in shopping in thrift stores . my sister and I both worked in offices with very high end clientele and we both looked like we spent a fortune on our clothes but the thrift stores was where we bought all of our high end looking clothes ...my kids went to school in thrift store clothing and honestly no one said anything except one teacher and I took care of her real quick . Told that witch when she started paying for my kids clothes then she could judge their clothing . She told me she spotted a hole in a pocket of his shirt and it looked "unsightly " to her . Too bad and that is why thread and needles are available . She peed me off .Anyways parents you don't need to spend a fortune to buy clothes for your kids .

Old 08-15-2014, 01:29 PM

13,982 posts, read 26,080,013 times
#1, thrift stores are not always a bargain compared to store sales. Also, sizing can be misleading, and some don't have dressing rooms. That doesn't work for growing kids.

#2, in my area, the thrift store also services the needy. Once a month they are entitled to pick out two full outfits per family member, free of charge. I love to browse books and housewares, but I leave the clothes for those who need them.

Old 08-15-2014, 01:30 PM

34,941 posts, read 36,444,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Molli View Post
One thing I really liked about the way my parents handled it is that we would only get 1-2 new outfits when going back to school since the weather was still so warm, and then they would take us shopping for fall clothes when the weather began cooling off. It was fun to have more new clothes to wear a couple of months after school started plus my brothers had major growing spurts now and then so it was also a way for my parents to keep up with their growth without having them grow out of a bunch of new clothes purchased right before school started. Then we usually got a few more new outfits during Christmas vacation.
That's what I do with mine.

Old 08-15-2014, 01:36 PM

421 posts, read 559,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
#1, thrift stores are not always a bargain compared to store sales. Also, sizing can be misleading, and some don't have dressing rooms. That doesn't work for growing kids.

#2, in my area, the thrift store also services the needy. Once a month they are entitled to pick out two full outfits per family member, free of charge. I love to browse books and housewares, but I leave the clothes for those who need them.
I agree with this.

Here in Houston the clothing at the thrift store is mostly for people in need. Its unwashed, you cant try it on, usually out of date or well worn. My teenaged niece liked shopping at thrift stores and it was a strange experience because we seemed *really* out of place.

When I was a kid we shopped at thrift stores cause we were very poor but even then it seemed like it was hard to find something that fit and looked good. Especially for me because I was tall and in adult sizes

Old 08-15-2014, 01:53 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,405,927 times
Kohls has been our go to place for many years for brick and mortar shops. I like their clothes and return policy. We tried there last week. I have shopped at Lands End for so long i can't even remember going back to school shopping in ages. So I guess I simply was not aware of how early I was expecting to find fall clothes.
We took all the outgrown clothes to our PTA thrift shop and looked at clothes there to buy and only found one shirt to purchase. it's not a matter of not being willing to shop at thrift sops. makes no never mind to me. I just don't like to travel all over creation with nothing to show for it.

DH took them to Target last week and said all they had was summer stuff. maybe it's because we are in the South that others are finding fall clothes now and we aren't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting