Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-14-2014, 05:16 AM

2,776 posts, read 3,066,216 times

Advertisements

I will not state the following scenario is bad per say, but I do wonder how it will affect future generations.

Child is riding in the car, and acts up, parent decides to distract the child with a movie, or IPad or touch screen.

What will happen with children who always need to be distracted in order to behave?

How will children handle boredom?

I was talking to my adult child, he is 20, and I asked him what will happen to creativity in people who are always "plugged in" to technology?

Old 08-14-2014, 05:46 AM

49,926 posts, read 60,144,595 times
I think you know the answer to that question. Technology is not supposed to be a pacifier. It cannot replace actual, real parenting.

Parents who default to technology to shut up their child, if that is what they are doing, are afraid of the confrontation and consequences of taking a stand, when that actually is part of their job as a parent.

Kids AND adults sometimes have to be reminded to use their imaginations instead of letting their brains be entertained with screen time.

This recent thread addressed this question:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/paren...parenting.html

Old 08-14-2014, 06:33 AM

6,418 posts, read 7,271,262 times
I think its good to give children plenty of opportunities to be bored so they can figure out how to entertain themselves but also there are occasions when using technology to "pacify" them might be a good option too.

Recently we had a 13 hour drive and my 3 year old was sat in the back of the motorhome (RV) all by herself the entire journey with only a few books and teddies to occupy her - it was amazing seeing what her imagination could come up with during that journey! The only times she fussed that entire time was when she was hungry or thirsty or needed the loo. Comparing that to the previous journey when my parents were sat in the back with her and she fussed and demanded entertainment the whole time, I can definitely see the benefits of boredom and being left alone.

Old 08-14-2014, 07:32 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,597,108 times
You are talking about a sliver of time. If a parent only ever consoled a child by passing the iPad I'd say you may have a point, but I doubt any parent does that 100% of the time.

Old 08-14-2014, 10:03 AM

1,851 posts, read 3,406,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
I think you know the answer to that question. Technology is not supposed to be a pacifier. It cannot replace actual, real parenting.

Parents who default to technology to shut up their child, if that is what they are doing, are afraid of the confrontation and consequences of taking a stand, when that actually is part of their job as a parent.

Kids AND adults sometimes have to be reminded to use their imaginations instead of letting their brains be entertained with screen time.

This recent thread addressed this question:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/paren...parenting.html
Please post comments in the above linked thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.