Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Based on the situation below, do you feel the parents are:
Morons because they couldn't find the kid. 10 18.87%
Correct for calling the police, because it's an understandable situation. 43 81.13%
Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2014, 07:16 PM

16,824 posts, read 17,870,706 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
And that other poster was me!

This is a 2014 Alzheimer's care website. There is no mention of any such bracelets.
Wandering and Dementia | Caregiver Center | Alzheimer's Association

Nothing like that here, either:
Safety Alarms For Elderly - Bed, Mat, Wheelchair, Wander Alerts

Seriously, if these things existed, wouldn't people be selling them?

Child Safety and Locating Device | MyBuddyTagmyBuddyTag

Track Your Elderly - Affordable GPS Assistive Technology Solutions.
Amazon.com: TBS3202 ® Kids Wrist Watch Cellphone Safety GPS Tracker GSM Bluetooth GPS Mobile Phone for Boys- Black: Cell Phones & Accessories

Long-Range, Water-Resistant Bluetooth Tracker with GPS
Tile
A strong range of new Bluetooth tracking devices | Dallas Morning News

Old 08-07-2014, 07:35 PM

13,982 posts, read 26,140,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smommaof3 View Post
Why was a nonvocal (probably a retard of some sort) child left unsupervised?
Seriously? Could you possibly be more offensive?

Old 08-07-2014, 07:40 PM

506 posts, read 329,257 times
Of course the parents should call the police. What if something really wrong happened?

Old 08-07-2014, 08:15 PM

37,218 posts, read 42,537,829 times
My cousin went missing years ago at my house. We had a pingpong table that folded up and leaning against a wall in the garage. He crawled behind it to hide and fell asleep.

The police WANT to be called and would rather get a "never mind" from the parent than loose time because of embarrassment.

Old 08-07-2014, 10:01 PM

477 posts, read 805,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
Regardless, if they think the child is in danger - calling the police is the right move. I don't want people to ever get the idea that they shouldn't because they will be judged to have done something "inexcusable" by their peers. Time is of the essence in these instances. Better to feel a bit silly and have your child rather than waste precious time should you be correct in your fears.
My biggest problem with people with a trigger finger for 911 isn't them being silly. It's that you're wasting precious resources for someone who really has a problem. If you're doing it for attention, or confused, you're going to make the police think the majority of cases are just for fun.

Old 08-07-2014, 10:17 PM
eok

6,683 posts, read 4,301,450 times
If my child went missing in my house, I would search carefully, and hesitate to call 911 until searching everywhere, because I would be afraid of getting the neighbor's dog shot.

Old 08-07-2014, 10:19 PM

477 posts, read 805,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
Seriously? Could you possibly be more offensive?
If he's three and not talking, he probably has some sort of mental illness/retardation. Even more reason he shouldn't be left alone.

Old 08-07-2014, 11:30 PM

5,413 posts, read 6,761,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smommaof3 View Post
If he's three and not talking, he probably has some sort of mental illness/retardation. Even more reason he shouldn't be left alone.
No....not all children that do not/can not talk have special needs (who the hell uses the term retarded these days??!!??)...there are many underlying reasons for apraxia of speech and one of the smartest little kids I ever met had it....with lots of therapy and understanding he overcame much of it and started talking around age 8...currently a very typical and smart mouthed teenager with amazing grades.

You really need to get a clue.

Old 08-07-2014, 11:40 PM

1,571 posts, read 2,838,098 times
My parents called the police once when I was "missing." I think it's a funny story, but my mom isn't too amused by the memory of it. I had been playing, and imagining something having to do with knights and horses and castles, and I found this little hidden spot near my dad's old roll top desk - I think I was imagining that it was my room in the castle. Anyhow, I fell asleep. And apparently, I slept through my mom calling for me, my dad calling for me, the neighbors calling for me, and the police calling for me. My mom was frantic. I woke up at some point and could hear a man talking to my mom in the hallway (a policeman), and I just got up, all blurry eyed, and walked towards them, asking what was going on. I shut right up when everyone's heads snapped towards me. My mom felt really dumb, but tons of people had overlooked me, so it wasn't just her.

I think I was sick (fever), actually, which helped account for why I was so dead to the world and didn't hear anyone calling for me.

So I do understand how kids can go "missing" in their own home. And I also think it's appropriate for a parent to call the police if they can't find their child. Better safe than sorry.

Old 08-08-2014, 02:40 AM
eok

6,683 posts, read 4,301,450 times
Yes, better safe than sorry, but calling the police doesn't actually make you safe. The best compromise might be to get the neighbor's dog to search for your child. The dog would be glad to do that to avoid capital punishment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting