Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2014, 03:37 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,416,453 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MerriMAC View Post
Parents have to coordinate their children's schedules and work schedules, etc. So a text directly from a coach to the parent that practice has been canceled would be better than one sent to the kid. The parent can relay that information to their child, and what their plan is now.
It's honestly not a big deal to me, MerriMAC. I have three children in schools that rely heavily on computer technology. All of the students have gmail accounts and use Google docs extensively, submitting much of their work through Schoology, an academic social network customized for our district. Our school portal allows both parents and students to submit forms/homework, have discussions with both their teachers and other students outside of class (because it is a school website, it is tightly moderated), review attendance records & grades, and see updates from teachers outlining what was covered in class and any assigned homework. This is the world the kids live in. For the most part, I think it's great!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2014, 05:10 PM

4,749 posts, read 4,333,351 times
I needed an e-mail account in middle school (I graduated from high school in 2012). My school library would e-mail us reminders of when our books were do (to avoid the $0.10/day fine). We had to turn in papers to turnitin.com which checked for plagiarism and to create an account, we needed an e-mail address. We also were able to signup for our textbooks online so that we didn't have the haul them back and forth. I remember participating in discussions for extra-credit. I had accounts on kid-friendly websites which I used for free time.

I don't see what all the hoopla is about. Your kid should be aware of predators and scammers and they should know to avoid them. At 10 or 11, if you're child can't figure that out (and they're neurotypical) then you made a mistake somewhere along the way. I think you're being paranoid.

Old 07-23-2014, 09:16 PM

2,916 posts, read 3,012,179 times
I think parents underestimate how smart their kids are. If a 12 year old wants an email account, they can set one up with ease.

Old 07-23-2014, 11:48 PM

419 posts, read 848,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarletG View Post
As they get older, they need to be made more and more responsible for their schedules and making sure parents are in the loop...not the other way around. It's called teaching responsibility.
Many secondary schools nowadays give families the ability to access online grades and attendance of their students. These schools don't rely on students to tell their parents their grades. School staffs know they are directly accountable to the parents and guardians too. School staff must keep in communication with them even at the high school level.

Old 07-24-2014, 04:54 AM

Quote:
Many secondary schools nowadays give families the ability to access online grades and attendance of their students. These schools don't rely on students to tell their parents their grades. School staffs know they are directly accountable to the parents and guardians too. School staff must keep in communication with them even at the high school level.
Yes, MerriMAC, they do, but it's important to know that those portals are also for the students' benefit, too. In fact, I'd argue that it's mostly for their benefit. Students' usage of on-line academic resources both at school and at home is rapidly becoming foundational to their success. With few exceptions, my kids textbooks are on-line, and they also log-in to Schoology to receive updates on class assignments, collaborate with peers, and review their grades.

Back to e-mail, all of my kids had accounts beginning in late elementary, both for personal use and for school. There's no sense in prohibiting it, because this is the world that they live in. E-mail is just the tip of the iceberg when it comes to student technology. It's how many, if not most, schools operate today.

Old 07-24-2014, 06:01 AM

5,413 posts, read 6,724,559 times
Quote:
You don't like sticking to a topic do you? We were talking about the students after school schedules and communication with teachers/staff.....not their grades. Yes many schools have online sites to be able to check grades...both the student and parents...... really not sure what your point is there.

Old 07-24-2014, 07:34 AM

419 posts, read 848,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarletG View Post
You don't like sticking to a topic do you? We were talking about the students after school schedules and communication with teachers/staff.....not their grades. Yes many schools have online sites to be able to check grades...both the student and parents...... really not sure what your point is there.
That schools, teachers, coaches should inform parents/guardians first (texts, emails, phone calls) and not bypass them directly to students' cell phone if they've got one.

Last edited by MerriMAC; 07-24-2014 at 07:47 AM..

Old 07-24-2014, 07:45 AM

Private electronic communication by teachers, coaches, club advisors, is not the norm for our district. Information is published via the school's proprietary social network, e-blasts, group texts, etc. Parents and students sign up for the service. But back to e-mail, it's clear that Ceece is opposed to student accounts, but after re-reading your posts, I'm not sure where you stand. Are you opposed or in favor of e-mail for middle schoolers?

Last edited by randomparent; 07-24-2014 at 08:13 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting