Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2014, 05:59 PM

1 posts, read 1,039 times

Advertisements

Hi, My name is Jill and I am hoping to meet other parents here that might have some advice. I have a 17 year old son that has been out of control. He got dropped from school 2 weeks prior to school being out for suspicion of selling marijuana. He does not want to go by any rules and wants to come in and out and he pleases. 3 weeks ago around fathers day is when it all really started coming apart. He was caught stealing my car after the fact and he has no license. He knew that when I got home from work that he was gonig to be in trouble so he stayed gone for several days and I could not find him. I know he is smoking marijuana and I have been very clear that no drugs and alcohol are allowed in my home. I am a clean & sober parent. So, when he came home 3 days later I attempted to discipline him and set down some house rules, he became out of control and verbally abusive and left again. I had setup therapy but he stated he might as well just pack his stuff and leave because he is not gonig to therapy. I feel like Im being walked on as a parent and im just trying to do whats right at this point but what is that? He is still a minor and I cant kick him out say the police. But do I continue to allow him to disrupt my home with out of control behavior?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2014, 06:18 PM

106 posts, read 92,536 times
Yes, if he has no rights, then you cannot expect anything from him.

Old 07-17-2014, 10:52 PM

506 posts, read 328,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by work324 View Post
Yes, if he has no rights, then you cannot expect anything from him.
Yes, he has no rights.

Old 07-18-2014, 08:21 AM

6,497 posts, read 11,866,263 times
How long before he's 18?

Old 07-18-2014, 08:28 AM

22,864 posts, read 48,204,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JillFisher View Post
But do I continue to allow him to disrupt my home with out of control behavior?
Sure... why not? That's been working sooooo well for you so far, right?

Old 07-18-2014, 08:37 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,497,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JillFisher View Post
I had setup therapy but he stated he might as well just pack his stuff and leave because he is not gonig to therapy. I feel like Im being walked on as a parent and im just trying to do whats right at this point but what is that? He is still a minor and I cant kick him out say the police. But do I continue to allow him to disrupt my home with out of control behavior?
You can't kick him out, but he can leave on his own accord if you mandate therapy. If he does, call and report him as a runaway. Then the police can do something about it. Around here, runaways are taken to some sort of juvenile detention facility or a halfway house before being sent home. Maybe he'll be 18 before that happens. I don't know what to tell you since he hasn't had his wakeup call yet with everything else he's gotten in trouble doing.

Old 07-18-2014, 11:55 AM

177 posts, read 410,047 times
How did it get this far? When did your relationship with him start to deteriorate?

Old 07-18-2014, 01:08 PM

4,405 posts, read 4,281,628 times
Look into the National Guard Youth Challenge Program for your state. It gets them into a new environment for five months, and its free to the parents. It's not a boot camp, although it is run by the National Guard.

Old 07-18-2014, 01:31 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,497,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhpartridge View Post
Look into the National Guard Youth Challenge Program for your state. It gets them into a new environment for five months, and its free to the parents. It's not a boot camp, although it is run by the National Guard.
That would be a great idea for another kid; however, the following two points will likely disqualify the OP's child.

Quote:
•Not currently on parole or probation for other than juvenile status offenses, not awaiting sentencing, and not under indictment, charged, or convicted of a crime that is considered a felony when charged as an adult.
•Free from use of illegal drugs or substances, and free from the illegal use of drugs or substances.

https://www.jointservicessupport.org/ngycp/

Old 07-18-2014, 01:45 PM

5,544 posts, read 8,368,207 times
Sorry OP. Been there.

Agree with the advice given to lay the rules and if he chooses to leave, he can. Upon 18, he is free to rebel however he wishes on his own.

At 31 years old as a husband and father, my son couldn't be more different from that rebellious teenager he was the summer he turned 18. So hang in there and stay true.

But in the end it is up to them and ole father time.

Good luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting