Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2014, 11:54 PM

9,006 posts, read 13,832,678 times

Advertisements

Which is worse for kids in your opinion,having a non abusive, non working father in the home or no dad in the home?

What i mean by lazy is a non working dad who watches and feeds the kids etc while the wife works a full time and part time job.

I cannot find any stats on this.

One of the things Republicans(well,everyone) likes to push is that marriage is best for kids.
However,what if they have a dsyfunctional marriage(like the one above)?

How is it healthy for kids to see a lazy bum in the home?
How will boys know what a real man does if they see Dad home all day?

Old 07-12-2014, 11:58 PM

943 posts, read 1,004,179 times
Geez...he sounds like a pretty good dad to me. If you guys are making it, financially, and you are avoiding the huge cost of childcare, then he IS making a contribution.
If you feel like he needs to do more then maybe you need to improve your communication strategies.

Old 07-13-2014, 01:23 AM

30,894 posts, read 36,941,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foclampt View Post
Geez...he sounds like a pretty good dad to me. If you guys are making it, financially, and you are avoiding the huge cost of childcare, then he IS making a contribution.
If you feel like he needs to do more then maybe you need to improve your communication strategies.
This is what I'm thinking.

However dysfunctional the situation may be, I think 2 households makes things more dysfunctional, from a cost standpoint as well as for the kids. It messes up the bond the kids have with their (non abusive) dad to have him living somewhere else.

And you're right Jerseygal, it isn't just Republicans who are saying divorce is bad for the kids (although the research from liberal folks mostly backs up what they've been saying all along). It turns out that kids still do better in 2 parent families even if the marriage isn't that great (provided there's no physical/sexual/drug/alcohol abuse). And that's coming from a liberal leaning researcher, Judith Wallerstein as well as others.

The Unexpected Legacy of Divorce: A 25 Year Landmark Study: Judith S. Wallerstein, Julia M. Lewis, Sandra Blakeslee: 9780786886166: Amazon.com: Books

Old 07-13-2014, 02:13 AM

9,006 posts, read 13,832,678 times
Would not the kids be harmed by having a dysfunctional family though?

Last edited by Jaded; 07-15-2014 at 11:59 AM..

Old 07-13-2014, 02:25 AM

17,869 posts, read 20,990,050 times
So, jerseygal4u, do you think the same is said for a woman who stays home and takes care of the kid(s)? Is she a lazy mother?

What you're describing is a stay at home dad. He is still making a contribution to the family unit if he is watching the kid(s), cleaning the house, and doing whatever is needed to help while the mother is being the bread winner.

He is in no way shape or form being a lazy man because somehow it was decided that it was best that he stayed home to raise the child.

If you said that the father was doing absolutely nothing at all, just sitting at home drinking beer while the child(ren) suffered because they were being neglected, then yes it's probably best that she remove him from the household because that is actually worse than having no father in the house.

But that is NOT what you said. He's at home feeding the child, which probably also means he is also cleaning the house, taking the child to check ups, and running other errands during the day. If you know any stay at home mothers or fathers, they will be more than happy to tell you what they do just about every day. I know of at least one married mother on here who has mentioned many times before that she used to be one, and it's not as easy as one thinks.

Old 07-13-2014, 03:13 AM

31,011 posts, read 22,051,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
Which is worse for kids in your opinion,having a non abusive, non working father in the home or no dad in the home?

What i mean by lazy is a non working dad who watches and feeds the kids etc while the wife works a full time and part time job.

One of the things Republicans(well,everyone) likes to push is that marriage is best for kids.

This is what I have seen in my years of coaching youth sports in a not so great part of town. The most lost and directionless boys I have ever coached were boys who did not know who their father was.

Old 07-13-2014, 03:15 AM

6,657 posts, read 7,751,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post

Uhmmm whats a good father or man?

Is this truely disfunctional or uncomfortable, untraditional?

Just in my grandparents generation, it was common for women to be stay at home moms and man went out and was the bread earners. You can thank your bra burning sisters and others who now made it acceptable to change roles in the home etc and gave you the the right to be an astronaut if you want to.

Old 07-13-2014, 05:16 AM

1,400 posts, read 1,576,687 times
The child is better off with the lazy father in his life. Kids hold their parents to different standards than other adults and time spent with the child means everything to them.

Old 07-13-2014, 05:20 AM

11,395 posts, read 24,441,486 times
Yep, sounds like the wife is frustrated but the kids are probably loving it.

Old 07-13-2014, 05:23 AM

15,013 posts, read 21,643,960 times
Is he not a stay at home dad? Someone has to watch the kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.