Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2014, 05:45 PM

1,072 posts, read 2,917,966 times

Advertisements

i want my 2 year old in daycare but i cant afford fulltime. Once a week would be $87 dollars. more manageable to my pocket. i dont get daycare assistance but i do have FSA daycare. twice a week would be $158. would once a week be a waste since we could have to get her readjusted over and over again. once a week would be better money wise. but twice a week would probably be more beneficial to my daughter. just being out of the house and being around other children her age will be good for her.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2014, 05:48 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,176,449 times
Do you stay home or work? What is the child care situation now? If you are flexible, a half day preschool or moms day out program would probably be a lot cheaper.

Old 07-11-2014, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
Do you stay home or work? What is the child care situation now? If you are flexible, a half day preschool or moms day out program would probably be a lot cheaper.
i work. technically we dont have to do daycare but i know that my wife wants a break sometimes. and its not good for my daughter to stay in all day. going to chuck e cheese or to the mall is not learning. i work days she works nights.

Old 07-11-2014, 06:02 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,061,041 times
Why do you want your son in daycare? What are you goals with this?

Old 07-11-2014, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Why do you want your son in daycare? What are you goals with this?
its my daughter and my goals are for my daughter to be around other kids. just being around mom all day isnt good. she needs to be around kids her age. daycare will be good because there's more of a routine. you eat at this time. you take a nap at this time. you learn you play. im not looking for a babysitter. i want my daughter to benefit and learn. and trust me, we are gonna work with the teachers too. building on what she learns in daycare.

Old 07-11-2014, 06:22 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,921,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daboywonder2002 View Post
its my daughter and my goals are for my daughter to be around other kids. just being around mom all day isnt good. she needs to be around kids her age. daycare will be good because there's more of a routine. you eat at this time. you take a nap at this time. you learn you play. im not looking for a babysitter. i want my daughter to benefit and learn. and trust me, we are gonna work with the teachers too. building on what she learns in daycare.
Would this be her first experience away from mom? How is her separation anxiety if you leave her with a babysitter or family member?

Can she do 3 half days? Two days is usually a problem for this age, ime, as a teacher. One day is even worse. MWF half days seems to work best for kids at 2.

Old 07-11-2014, 06:49 PM

I agree with nana You don't want to start out with a full day. It's way too long for starting out at this age. Half days will be better and 3 days a week would be ideal. That way she'll get to know the children and the routine. One day wouldn't accomplish your goals.

Just be aware that daycare isn't preschool. It's very possible she won't be taught anything, especially at this age, aside from having structure, listening to instructions and being around other children.

Old 07-11-2014, 06:51 PM

3,167 posts, read 4,003,230 times
2 is too young to benefit from daycare in the way you are hoping. It is often very hard on children. Being around mom all day is pretty much exactly what a 2 year old needs. There is no reason why the things you mention are things she needs to learn at daycare or even will learn at daycare. Nor is there any evidence that daycare or even preschool at that age is a positive thing. In fact, it's generally not something that is preferable. 2 year olds do not "learn" the way you do. "Teachers" are pretty much irrelevant at that age. When my son was that age, I took him to mommy and me classes - he listened to stories and "read" books, but it was all with mothers present. There are plenty of learning opportunities that don't involve a long separation from mom in a strange place that is just there to take the kid (as many as they can fit) off your hands for a while. Wait a year or two for daycare. And even then, a few hours a few days a week in a good preschool would be better than an all day babysitting service.

Old 07-11-2014, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnseca View Post
2 is too young to benefit from daycare in the way you are hoping. It is often very hard on children. Being around mom all day is pretty much exactly what a 2 year old needs. There is no reason why the things you mention are things she needs to learn at daycare or even will learn at daycare. Nor is there any evidence that daycare or even preschool at that age is a positive thing. In fact, it's generally not something that is preferable. 2 year olds do not "learn" the way you do. "Teachers" are pretty much irrelevant at that age. When my son was that age, I took him to mommy and me classes - he listened to stories and "read" books, but it was all with mothers present. There are plenty of learning opportunities that don't involve a long separation from mom in a strange place that is just there to take the kid (as many as they can fit) off your hands for a while. Wait a year or two for daycare. And even then, a few hours a few days a week in a good preschool would be better than an all day babysitting service.
I think we need to pay attention to the fact the mother works nightshift. She could greatly benefit from having some time to sleep during the day. The child would too because an exhausted mommy isn't a happy mommy. If this mother worked during the day, you wouldn't be telling her to not put her child in daycare.

Old 07-11-2014, 07:06 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,176,449 times
I would start with one or two half days per week at a preschool, not a day care. It will be cheaper and less overwhelming. Does your wife belong to a moms group or have your daughter in a play group? What size city do you live in? What other resourses are there?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting