Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2014, 12:56 PM

5,521 posts, read 8,773,454 times

Advertisements

Seems like some researchers have confirmed what I already thought. Gay parents' kids are no better or worse off in general than kids raised by straight parents. Yes, those kids can get get teased and bullied about their parents, and yes, these are relatively small-scale studies. But on a scale of gneral health and well-being, the kids are all right. My gut feeling is that a lot of straight parents can't raise kids half as well.

Children of same-sex couples are happier and healthier than peers, research shows - The Washington Post
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2014, 03:11 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,100,559 times
Those of us who have known children raised by same sex parents aren't one bit surprised at this report. Hopefully one day it won't even be necessary to discuss.

Old 07-08-2014, 04:07 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,962,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citylove101 View Post
Seems like some researchers have confirmed what I already thought. Gay parents' kids are no better or worse off in general than kids raised by straight parents. Yes, those kids can get get teased and bullied about their parents, and yes, these are relatively small-scale studies. But on a scale of gneral health and well-being, the kids are all right. My gut feeling is that a lot of straight parents can't raise kids half as well.

Children of same-sex couples are happier and healthier than peers, research shows - The Washington Post
Citylove, your words are more honest than the headline. The children of gays are not worse off, but they aren't significantly better off either, which is what the headline insinuates.

I have gay friends raising children, and think they are doing a fine job. I agree with NoKudzu, I look forward to the day this isn't considered news.

Old 07-08-2014, 04:10 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,384,306 times
Oh, lord. Not this again.

Here is what all of it boils down to:

NEWSFLASH: People who want kids treat their kids better than those who don't, thereby skewing statistics in some sociopolitically advantageous way.

Old 07-08-2014, 04:40 PM

17,596 posts, read 15,266,523 times
New study shows that dogs bark..

This one gets filed under "No Sh*t" for me.. I assume there are a few people who would be surprised by it, but..

Seems like a great waste of money.

Old 07-08-2014, 05:10 PM

5,521 posts, read 8,773,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
New study shows that dogs bark..

This one gets filed under "No Sh*t" for me.. I assume there are a few people who would be surprised by it, but..

Seems like a great waste of money.
This wouldn't matter much if gay parents could adopt easily, but there are still several states where it's difficult or prohibited I believe. That may be changing. I hope so. Every kid needs good parents and if the good parent is gay who cares? Not me.

Old 07-09-2014, 08:08 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,563,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Oh, lord. Not this again.

Here is what all of it boils down to:

NEWSFLASH: People who want kids treat their kids better than those who don't, thereby skewing statistics in some sociopolitically advantageous way.
Exactly - gay parents have to choose to have children, its not accidental, so they are a self-selecting group. Compared to the general population, a big number of which accidentally end up with (unwanted) kids, its no wonder they might appear slightly better at parenting.

Old 07-09-2014, 09:45 AM

477 posts, read 801,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
Exactly - gay parents have to choose to have children, its not accidental, so they are a self-selecting group. Compared to the general population, a big number of which accidentally end up with (unwanted) kids, its no wonder they might appear slightly better at parenting.
I'm not against anyone in the LGBT, but IF LGBT parents were worse I doubt the mainstream media would ever publish such findings for fear of lawsuits.

Old 07-09-2014, 10:42 AM

17,596 posts, read 15,266,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citylove101 View Post
This wouldn't matter much if gay parents could adopt easily, but there are still several states where it's difficult or prohibited I believe. That may be changing. I hope so. Every kid needs good parents and if the good parent is gay who cares? Not me.
It's not prohibited anywhere in the US, pending on your point of view.

In all 50 states, a LGBT person can petition to adopt a child. However.. Only in about 45 states can a LGBT COUPLE petition to adopt a child.

So, one of the members of the couple is classified in those states as the parent rather than both.

Old 07-09-2014, 10:53 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,563,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smommaof3 View Post
I'm not against anyone in the LGBT, but IF LGBT parents were worse I doubt the mainstream media would ever publish such findings for fear of lawsuits.

No, of course. Mainstream media won't publish anything that would run afoul of a morally-privileged group.
But there's plenty of far right media outlets that would publish it, just as far-left media outlets publish analogous but opposite stuff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting