Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2014, 10:07 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,228,628 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post
Rather than using the term "not real", how about using "imaginary", to help sort out the difference between fiction and non-fiction (other good terms)? You don't want to have him thinking that creative writing is "lies" or "fake", and that other writing is "real", as a child once told me about a well-known series of children's books. "Make-believe", or "made-up" might be other good options.

Children often see things in black and white terms, and this is just such an example. However, your son sounds like a delightful child: bright, creative, and very imaginative, so helping him understand that fiction, fantasy, folklore, and some forms of creative non-fiction that are products of someone's imagination aren't "lies" because they are not literally true should be fairly easy. They are still very "real", in many ways that count.

You don't want to brush off the stardust too early or too abruptly...
BTW, in my local school district they start using the terms fiction and non-fiction to describe children's books and literature in the 4 year old kindergarten class. It is a measurable objective/goal to know the basic difference in 5 year old kindergarten. You may want to check with your local school district to see what are their preferred terms. If they don't have anyone available to answer that question during the summer it might be listed on last year's report card (unlikely but possible) or you can ask a librarian in the local public library.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2014, 03:16 PM

118 posts, read 218,484 times
I was like your child all throughout school, and not autistic or (I don't think) qualified for Gifted programs. I just preferred to read, to imagine, and to play pretend rather than do anything in the real world. =) So he very well may be perfectly average in those respects, and not have learning differences, etc. Just as a side note. I found my kindred spirits in acting and writing programs, even as a kid (fairy tale and storytelling programs at the library, etc.), where I could hang out with other kids who would rather live with unicorns.

As a minor note regarding whether or not the elves are real: my almost 4-year old (naturally) also has an active imagination, and what we've found that works quite well for encouraging the distinction between fantasy and reality without shaming is to play along, but to the point where it's clearly fake: "There are elves in that tree? Awesome! What are they doing? And now they're flying! I didn't know elves could fly! See them? That one's wearing a blue hat!" You can see him process the switch from "it could be real" to "oh, it's clearly not there," and he usually takes a pause at that point, but then he jumps right back in and flies with them, etc. We do it a lot for monsters under the bed, where we chase them out of the room or tell them they're not allowed in our house. If he ever calls us on it and says "they're not standing right there; they're under the bed!" we just respond calmly, "we're pretending they're standing right there. I thought we were all playing pretend?Because there really is no such thing as monsters. See? Nothing under there. But we can pretend if you want."

Old 07-12-2014, 05:55 AM

675 posts, read 1,706,033 times
Love these ideas. Using words like imaginary, fiction - great ways to make the distinction without feelings getting hurt.

thursdaymcgee - brilliant idea, will have to try that!

Thank you for all of the advice on how to practice stepping back and forth over the line between real and make-believe
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting