Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2014, 03:25 PM

3,299 posts, read 3,025,823 times

Advertisements

It sounds horrible to me. I don't like to get food on me, and more than that, I think that these days, with all the information we get daily about hunger in the US, wasting food like that just disgusts me. Can't they do something more productive with cans of baked beans? Like give them to someone who needs food to survive? I would be mad if this happened in my school district.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2014, 04:25 PM

5,413 posts, read 6,705,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irootoo View Post
It sounds horrible to me. I don't like to get food on me, and more than that, I think that these days, with all the information we get daily about hunger in the US, wasting food like that just disgusts me. Can't they do something more productive with cans of baked beans? Like give them to someone who needs food to survive? I would be mad if this happened in my school district.
There is not a shortage of food in the US...hunger is not caused by lack of food here.... if people have money. ... they can get food.. no one will go hungry because of the money spent on baked beans to go this instead of using mud. Not only that the OP later said that it is also a fund raiser for the local food pantry.

Old 06-29-2014, 04:27 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,209,520 times
Let go of your anxiety. It's not an event for YOU and I'm assuming it's entirely optional for your kid. If she wants to do it let her. You probably don't even need to be there if you don't want to.

Old 06-29-2014, 10:22 PM

6,720 posts, read 8,389,294 times
Pieing is an old comedic act that started with the Keystone cops. laurel and Hardy, Charlie Chaplin, and soupy sales got in on the act too. it's classic for a reason...it's funny.

What a fun memory to have.

I am sure no one forces the kids to so it and they love it. This is just like Nickelodeon and their game shows. My nine year old said that she would pay to do this, and she might answer wrong on purpose.

OP- if your child doesn't want to do it then have her opt out.

Old 06-30-2014, 08:32 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,410,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JessicaCollins View Post
Last year my friend’s daughter got an entire 117 ounce can of baked beans dumped over her head. Other students were getting covered in Spaghetti-O’s, chocolate syrup and raw eggs. One boy got an entire bottle of mustard squirted in his hair. At the end of MAC the students have an all out pie fight and then get hosed down for a picnic dinner.

On the positive side, both schools enthusiastically compete to see how many canned goods they can bring to MAC to donate to a local food pantry.
This is supposed to be a charity event to bring canned good for a local food pantry, but they are wasting the food by throwing it on each other? That is ridiculous!

Old 06-30-2014, 10:39 AM

1,456 posts, read 1,510,473 times
I think the concept is good but the execution bad. I can see an injury happening because when the adults lose sight of the goal and become as immature as the kids the priority is skewed.

For example what if the kid who was dumping the can of baked beans dropped it and fractured the skull of the kid? This event needs to be streamlined and made safer by using approved foods and by someone with a physics background reviewing the dangerous possibilities and eliminating them.

Old 06-30-2014, 10:40 AM

1,456 posts, read 1,510,473 times
The waste is a problem for me too! Maybe make it more simple like do not use more than about 6 cans of whipped topping in the whole vent or something at the end on the losers?

Old 06-30-2014, 11:49 AM

6,811 posts, read 6,946,145 times
Sounds like a really stupid way to celebrate the end of school. Not to mention the waste of food, which is ironic since the whole purpose is to get donations to the food pantry. If they like the idea of pelting each other with something why not shaving cream or soapy bubbles?

Old 06-30-2014, 11:57 AM

6,720 posts, read 8,389,294 times
Food waste in this country is a huge issue, but a few cans of beans and pies is not that big of a deal. If you are that worried about food waste, you should not be supporting the new federal guidelines for school lunch. The trash cans are full of uneaten and untouched food by the barrel full.

Restaurants and grocery stores throw away massive amounts of food on a daily basis. They will throw away perfectly good food that isn't even spoiled just because it is close to expiration or a bit of dented fruit and veg. They should donate it to food banks. ( I used to work at a grocery store and a restaurant so I know how much they toss.)

Check your own trash out too. I bet you throw out the same amount of food stuff in a month or two at least.

It's a silly event that is fun for kids. That's all it is.

Old 06-30-2014, 12:34 PM

5 posts, read 10,342 times
Thank you for all of your thoughts so far. I'm not 100% sure but I think some of the food they use is either past expiration or almost there. Somehow they get it in incredible bulk and a lot of volunteers go to a lot of effort just preparing that many pies, which are chocolate pudding and whipped cream on a paper plate. The participants are also really really good kids and I think for the parents and school there is a novelty value in letting them just go crazy and do something totally outrageous one day of the year. I guess the correct perspective is important and I'm still trying to get there. I know that as children get older you can't always protect them. One of the camera shots that sticks in my mind from last year's MAC was the look of shock, confusion and horror on the face of a little 4 year old boy as he watched his sister get a bucket of Spaghetti-O's dumped over her head. We don't have that problem. Emily's 9 year old brother can't wait to see his big sister get trashed!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting