Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2014, 06:30 PM

13,982 posts, read 25,987,572 times

Advertisements

Nobody, absolutely nobody, thinks you are obligated to provide your kids with cars, except your kids. Why the attitude all of a sudden? We were agreeing with you for once!

A parent needs to remain calm when dealing with teens. Stick to the realities and ignore the crap they throw back at you. In other words, teach them how to react as a mature adult.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2014, 06:35 PM

14,204 posts, read 12,303,418 times
I just found the perfect vehicle for them! It will cost you much less as well .

Old 06-13-2014, 06:46 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,935,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
There are underlying issues that I can't post about in detail here on a public forum. Let's just say we have been pitted against one another for years and its left bitterness and mistrust on both sides.
I can appreciate your need for anonymity and privacy. I do think that you need to seek help in healing these wounds. The current conflict is a symptom of something that needs to be healed.

Old 06-13-2014, 06:55 PM

924 posts, read 1,680,599 times
Why don't you just buy the $3500 car as an extra car for the family? It stays in your name. I don't understand why each kid has to have their own car. When they leave home, sell it or trade it in.

I'm sorry, but these kids don't sound like they are ready to keep up their end of any bargain you make with them.

Old 06-13-2014, 06:56 PM

12 posts, read 17,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
BTW, it was just about a year ago I caught my DD driving my car! She didn't even have a driver's license, no insurance, didn't have my permission, she would just lift the keys when I was either sleeping or working (I work from home and during those times I'm in my office with the door closed). She also pinched my AMEX card for gas, so I wouldn't notice the gas going down. I didn't question the gas purchases, they seemed to be mine, but rather excessive. She tipped her hand, literally, when she used my AMEX for a mani/pedi for $100! I wanted her arrested for theft, but police acted like I was the problem and it was some big joke, they actually chuckled. Then one night they found her passed out in a pool of vomit on a park bench, about 4 am, we had no idea she'd left the house! I wanted police to throw the book at her, make her realize you don't just do as you damned well please, but there again, they acted like it was a joke and I was overreacting. I actually heard one say to her, don't worry, we all get a little drunk sometimes. A LITTLE drunk? I really should have taken that one to the media, police encourage 16-year old to drink! Its ok to crawl out your bedroom 2nd-story window at 3 am, meet up with some scum in a park, get plastered, "borrow" my car, let Heaven knows who drive, yep, that's a typical teen, something wrong with Mommy because she gets upset? Imagine going to the door ~ 4 am and finding police holding up your snockered 16-year old, covered in vomit, said they found her on a bench passed out cold in the park, and we had no idea she was even gone, and, of course, its a big joke?
the police chuckled because you were expecting them to act as pseudoparents. And yes, typically a lot of teens get drunk after they first try alcohol, often vomiting, because they don't know how potent alcohol is.
YOU were supposed to raise DD to the effect that at 16 she wouldn't be sneaking out to a park to meet someone (likely a male) to feast on booze. It starts at toddlerhood, when little Emma tries to sneak a piece of gum at the candy store, and you bring her to the clerk to confess and apologize. you don't begin parenting at age 13-16. by 13 most kid's morality ships have sailed permanently.

Old 06-13-2014, 06:56 PM

1,677 posts, read 2,490,420 times
If I had a 17/18 year old who spoke to me in that manner, I'd be hesitant to even let them remain under my roof, let alone provide them with a car. There is a much more serious issue going on here, and the car is the least of it. I think you really need to focus on mending the relationship between you and your children before you can move forward.

Old 06-13-2014, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HorseEquestria View Post
the police chuckled because you were expecting them to act as pseudoparents. And yes, typically a lot of teens get drunk after they first try alcohol, often vomiting, because they don't know how potent alcohol is.
YOU were supposed to raise DD to the effect that at 16 she wouldn't be sneaking out to a park to meet someone (likely a male) to feast on booze. It starts at toddlerhood, when little Emma tries to sneak a piece of gum at the candy store, and you bring her to the clerk to confess and apologize. you don't begin parenting at age 13-16. by 13 most kid's morality ships have sailed permanently.
*begins slow clap*

Old 06-13-2014, 07:17 PM

4,577 posts, read 5,676,485 times
I'd say that I hope those little ingrates have a bike, because that would be the ONLY way they'd be getting around, if they were mine. Too good to drive the car YOU drive? When they are earning the big bucks, they can spend their money any way they wish. As it stands, I'd shrug and say, "Oh, well, never mind," and forget about it.

And frankly, if you have a 16 year old acting so irresponsibly that they steal your car, your credit card and are passing out drunk on park benches, there is no way in hell I would let her have a drivers license, let alone a car. What in the hell are you thinking?

Old 06-13-2014, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dblackga View Post
I'd say that I hope those little ingrates have a bike, because that would be the ONLY way they'd be getting around, if they were mine. Too good to drive the car YOU drive? When they are earning the big bucks, they can spend their money any way they wish. As it stands, I'd shrug and say, "Oh, well, never mind," and forget about it.

And frankly, if you have a 16 year old acting so irresponsibly that they steal your car, your credit card and are passing out drunk on park benches, there is no way in hell I would let her have a drivers license, let alone a car. What in the hell are you thinking?
I'm getting the feeling that there is a highly toxic relationship going on here to be honest.

Old 06-13-2014, 07:20 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,212,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII;35224180

[B

Well, so, what did I do wrong? [/b]I was trying to juggle our assets to provide the kids with decent transportation while not breaking anyone's bank. Such nasty kids.....I told them our deal is off, go find how the real world deals! Oh, and, we refuse to co-sign any notes!

So, let the flames begin!

Oh, BTW, no more "deals" from me---I don't deal with someone who calls me d*** biotch
What you did wrong, you did long ago. You and your children have a completely disfunctional delationship.

If you don't have money to throw around, buying a $3900 car for your self, and practically giving a $12,000 one to your daughter makes no sense.

Even though your deal seems more than fair, I never liked the idea of a child buying a parent's car. If they want to pay for a car, they should have a say in what it is. If the parent is offering, it should be a gift. That's just my opinion.

In HS, my parents bought a 3rd car and kept it in their name. My BFF was given her parents' old (I mean OLD) car. Another friend was given a brand new car. The 4th friend bought her parents old piece of crap for $5000. Maybe we were spoiled, but we thought that was pretty crappy.

Because of their attitudes, I wouldn't make any more offers or deals. Maybe if DS gets a job, you could buy a 3rd family car for them to share, just so they can get to work and school. I would only do that if they are going to school and passing classes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting