Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2014, 01:20 PM

5,624 posts, read 6,859,710 times

Advertisements

Do you monitor your child's media time? (computer, tablet, phone, tv). What they watch or how long? Sometimes I feel like I'm the only one but I feel like they behave better for not vegging out all day.

As a child my parents didnt care but then again it was common to play outside all day back then.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2014, 01:26 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,923,178 times
My policy for my kids' media time is just like my policy for my own: as long as everything else we needed to do is done and we've gotten at least an hour of exercise, it's fine to watch tv or use the computer.

I don't let my kids watch R rated movies unless I've seen it and know why it got the R rating. Sometimes there's a particular scene they have to skip. But without us, they can watch PG and PG-13 movies and I don't care.

Old 06-11-2014, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
My policy for my kids' media time is just like my policy for my own: as long as everything else we needed to do is done and we've gotten at least an hour of exercise, it's fine to watch tv or use the computer.

I don't let my kids watch R rated movies unless I've seen it and know why it got the R rating. Sometimes there's a particular scene they have to skip. But without us, they can watch PG and PG-13 movies and I don't care.
Thats a good plan. We dont let them watch anything over G unless we have previewed it.

Old 06-11-2014, 02:23 PM

133 posts, read 152,472 times
I don't have a policy, nor do I monitor. DS has an iPad and a few gaming systems. He plays with them when he wants to and puts them down when he's no longer interested. He sets his own schedule and does his own thing. So far, no problems.

Old 06-11-2014, 02:35 PM

14,204 posts, read 12,309,054 times
When I was growing up as long as we had all our work done and kept our grades up then there was no limit on the amount of media time we had.

Old 06-11-2014, 03:35 PM

506 posts, read 327,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frustrated Hippy View Post
I don't have a policy, nor do I monitor. DS has an iPad and a few gaming systems. He plays with them when he wants to and puts them down when he's no longer interested. He sets his own schedule and does his own thing. So far, no problems.
It's great that you don't have any problems, but this doesn't necessarily work for most people.

As for my response to the OP's question, I have a system that is similar to Hedgehog_Mom's, unless the eye checkup is coming soon. (Our most recent one was yesterday. )

Old 06-11-2014, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frustrated Hippy View Post
In my house that would be asking for trouble.

Old 06-11-2014, 04:47 PM

133 posts, read 152,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohky0815 View Post
In my house that would be asking for trouble.
Oooh... I wouldn't survive at your house. Lately I've been plugged in way too much! I need to be monitored more than my kiddo does. Lol!

I spent most of Thursday night/Friday morning binging on Orange Is the New Black. I didn't even take a break. No shame!

Last edited by Frustrated Hippy; 06-11-2014 at 05:01 PM..

Old 06-11-2014, 05:48 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,225,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post

This is pretty much what we do. We don't set a time limit, but chores and homework have to be done first. This summer, I am making them read or play an educational game for 30 minutes before they can watch movies or play games on their tablets.

Old 06-11-2014, 06:36 PM

1,677 posts, read 2,491,264 times
At first, I didn't monitor screen time much, except for content. She was allowed to play games and watch certain videos, but the problem is that screen becomes addictive. My normally active daughter suddenly wanted to just sit with a screen in front of her constantly, and complained about being bored when she didn't have one. Even riding in the car, if I didn't allow her to play on my phone, she couldn't just sit and listen to music and look out the window, or have a conversation, or read a book...she was SO bored. Even for a 10-15 minute ride! That's when I knew it was time to make some changes.

Now, after a day of summer camp, she either has dance or tumbling class, has to do her required summer reading/math work for school, has chores, or plays outside, and on my days off we plan activities to do together. In the car she reads or listens to music like she used to. She has little to no time for computer games, and seldom even asks to play anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting