Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2014, 02:09 PM

6,418 posts, read 7,253,917 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Thanks! I think it's probably lower for 30-34 than for 25-29, too.
I'd expect so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2014, 08:19 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,554,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
I am wondering how much of that statistic is a regional thing?

In my area, housing is cheap, and there is low cost of living. Unemployment is below the national average. The twenty-something college graduates do NOT live with their parents.
Actually, this makes sense. Over 29% of the same age group were living at home in 1983. It's only during the boom years that we see this number drop. Given the state of the economy compared to the early 80's, 32% isn't bad. To be honest, staying home can be a smart financial move. I have a brother who lived with our father until he was 30 and then put 50% down on his house (and dad went to live with him).

Old 06-07-2014, 08:20 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,554,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Thanks! I think it's probably lower for 30-34 than for 25-29, too.
It makes no sense to group people this way. There's a huge difference between a 20 year old still living at home and a 30 year old still living at home, though it can make financial sense for both parent and child to have that arrangement.

Old 06-07-2014, 09:10 AM

17,815 posts, read 25,648,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strawflower View Post
18- To 34-Years-Olds Living With Parents - Business Insider

Very interesting! My daughter has just finished her freshman year of college and is home for the summer. I have no problem with that and things are pretty much the same as they have been in prior years (no paying rent, she works and is responsible for her personal needs and wants) but I'm not sure how I'd feel if she came back three or four years from now and wanted to live at home. I think if she (or any of my children) was truly financially struggling I would be OK with it (with certain stipulations of course), but I do think it's important it's important for young adults to learn to be independent. Living at home to amass money instead of spending it to stand on your own two feet would probably be a no-go, though.

That being said, I'm still a few years away from this issue. What does the collective mind of the parenting forum think about this high % of young adults living at home, and if you have had an adult come back to live with you, what were the 'rules'? Why were they back? Were you OK with it?
I guess you never heard the expression "small children, small problems, big children, big problems".

How wonderful that you have no problem with your daughter staying in the home she was raised in for the summer.

Just because someone turns 18 means they're ready to head out on their own. Especially these days when 23 is the new 15 in regards to maturity.

From an economic standpoint an adult child who returns home from college with large student loan debt, who even if they find employment, would be better off living back at home for awhile to get their debt down. They should pay rent and not the expect the parent/parents to their maid/cook, but it is a way to reduce debt and also save money for their own place.

I know of a situation where the daughter got her own place after graduating(which is fine) than ended up moving in with her boyfriend and they chose a very upscale apt complex that had tennis courts, pool, gym, etc.

Well now they're planning to get married and want an expensive wedding and want the bride's parents to foot the bill. Maybe I'm old fashioned but when you're already playing house you don't need an elaborate wedding. And had the girl lived at home for a couple of years, paid some rent to the parents, she could have put her own money aside for this wedding. Same thing with the boyfriend. He could have lived at home, paid some rent, and put some of his money aside for this wedding.

And when they did move in together find a nice but modest apt. Instead of paying through the nose for all these extras. BTW, both sets of parents our paying the car insurance on their vehicles because they were stretched so tight on their rent for the fancy apt.

OP, there also may come a time when you're old and can't live on your own. Ever think about that?

Nothing is guaranteed in life, but in most cases adult children who feel that their parents have their back or know if they run into trouble and always have a place to stay, are more likely to take care of their parents if and when that time comes.

Remember, life comes full circle.

Old 06-07-2014, 10:10 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,722,740 times
And also -- in the past there were those permanent bachelors and what they called "spinsters" who never left home -- and it worked out for those involved -- the parents didn't mind, and the adult children enjoyed living with their parents.

If it works for them, it shouldn't bother anyone else.

The good thing about kids reaching age 18 isn't always that they're fully functioning adults but they can start becoming that. You can start easing them out of childhood -- it doesn't have to be a sudden break. They can start paying their own car expenses, or you can keep them on your car insurance if you prefer since it's a better deal and you can afford it. They can start buying their own food - or you can let them eat your food if you prefer.

If they complain about the rules for your home -- whatever rules you might have - all you have to do is point to the door and remind them that they're free to go whenever they like. Then the ball's in their court -- do the parents and their rules bother them enough that they want to look for an apartment --- or it's okay enough in the parents' home?

Everyone should do what works for them. If your adult kids are pleasant and you enjoy their company -- let them stay if you want -- but if they're disrespectful, disruptive in any way -- kick them out.

Old 06-08-2014, 02:11 AM

37,138 posts, read 42,234,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
I was out on my own at nineteen, but as I recall, my rent for a one-bedroom apartment was $295/month, which I could easily afford, even while attending college. Today, in my city, no way.
I had a full time "career" job with only a HS diploma at age 20, a new car I was paying for, and shared a 2 bedroom apt with a friend and my rent was a couple hundred as well. Today that job doesn't exist and a 2 bedroom apt in my city rents for $2k +.

This is why my 23 year old son lives with me, in the 3 bed/2 bath house I own, and commutes 20 minutes to college. He had a part time job making $9 an hour at a movie theater and got about 12 hours a week but he quit last year when he transferred from a CC to a university. If someone can tell me a magical way to make life different I'm all ears.

Old 06-09-2014, 04:25 PM

42,554 posts, read 87,014,195 times
What's wrong with that? In some countries, it's 90 percent, even after they have children of their own. And those are countries that we look up to for their admirable "family values"

Old 06-11-2014, 02:18 AM

543 posts, read 1,000,054 times
That's the norm all over the world. Don't see a problem with that, especially if those grown-up kids are working and/or studying.

Old 06-11-2014, 12:31 PM

35,083 posts, read 31,331,023 times
Over the last half century or so, the country has generally been prosperous enough where most young adults could move out and make ends meet. It seems that the economy and income are declining to where this is no longer feasible for many, and there also is a "cultural lag" in correcting bias against those who lives with their parents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting