Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2014, 09:11 PM

60 posts, read 80,949 times

Advertisements

Seems like nearly every child wants them at some point in their lives. Clearly, some kids are too young and they will certainly reach a point when they'll be too old and want those babyish things out of their room! What are the prime years for bunk beds? Is the time frame different for boys vs girls? Of course every child is different so these are just generalizations. Please share your opinions and especially your experience
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2014, 09:43 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,083,010 times
The top bunk shouldn't be used by children under 6. I'd say the prime years are elementary school years until around 7th grade. Then they're uncool, but some kids have no choice if they're necessary for sharing small rooms with siblings.

Old 05-30-2014, 09:50 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,965,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
The top bunk shouldn't be used by children under 6. I'd say the prime years are elementary school years until around 7th grade. Then they're uncool, but some kids have no choice if they're necessary for sharing small rooms with siblings.
That's about our experience. We only had them set up as bunk beds in our youngest son's room for a couple of years, and because he wanted them for a while. We used them for much longer as twin beds.

I personally hated them. They are a pain to change sheets on, and even just making the bed in the morning is an ordeal.

Old 05-30-2014, 09:59 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,570,903 times
They are a royal PITA. I far prefer a kid bed with a trundle underneath for sleepover guests.

Old 05-30-2014, 10:05 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,083,010 times
I preferred throwing pillows and blankets on the floor for sleepovers!

My sister had bunk beds for about 10 years because her children's bedroom was very small. When she built a huge addition on her home that added 3 more bedrooms (in addition to a formal living room and a dining room), she pulled the bunks apart and used them as twins ASAP.

I'm sure they are a PITA to change sheets!

Old 05-30-2014, 10:36 PM

4,280 posts, read 6,088,804 times
My sister and I enjoyed ours until close to high school. We used to take them apart and rearrange the beds often and then put them back together after some time. Our room was quite large, too, so I don't know we liked them bunked so much.

Old 05-30-2014, 10:38 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,886,067 times
We had them in an apartment, but it was the kind with a dresser, bookcase and desk built in. We used a toddler bed instead of the bottom bunk because our daughter was small enough for it and it made the room feel bigger. When we moved into our house, the bunk bed went in our oldest's room as a loft bed. Then she broke her arm (she was 9) and couldn't get into the bunk bed, so we bought her a queen bed and moved the bunk bed to her younger sister's room. Nobody slept in the bunk bed after that, they both insist on sleeping in the queen bed in the oldest's room. So I sold the bunk bed for as much as I had paid for it (on Craigslist) and bought regular bedroom furniture for the little one, which she never uses because she sleeps in her sister's room.

We all liked the idea of the bunk bed but once the novelty wore off, it wasn't a lot of fun. And once she broke her arm, she couldn't get up to the bed. She healed in about 3 weeks but by then we'd already replaced the bed.

Old 05-30-2014, 11:01 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,965,387 times
Good point about resale value. We gave our set away when we moved, but the family that took them were thrilled. We have a local town Facebook sale page, and anytime bunk beds are posted, they get sold quickly.

Old 05-31-2014, 04:34 AM

4,505 posts, read 6,485,232 times
Bunk beds free up more room for activities!

Old 05-31-2014, 05:03 AM

60 posts, read 80,949 times
Thanks everyone. Sounds like probably not the best idea to buy for a 5 th grader. We thought about the trundle bed too- they can be separated so the kids aren't sleeping exactly side by side, I believe. He has a full size bed and we have just been using aero beds for sleepovers ..... Kids seem happy enough with it. His friends with the bunk beds have tons of sleepovers so I guess I just need to get it out of my head that bunk beds provide the ultimate sleepover experience
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting