Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2014, 02:12 PM

6,472 posts, read 6,676,653 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisfitBanana View Post
We're talking about two kids, and one has special needs. If you expect to pay only $10.00 to a sitter for that, you'll likely end up dissatisfied with the level of care given, or they'll quit, or you'll never find someone to begin with. There are always exceptions - maybe someone older/retired would do it, or a family member, but otherwise, I don't know why anyone would agree to be the nanny to two children, one with special needs, for so low an hourly wage. My 14 year-old daughter babysits, and she gets $10.00 an hour for one child who is nine years-old and has no special needs. Being a nanny is a serious money-maker. 18 years ago I was a summer nanny to two children, neither of whom had special needs, and I made close to $15 an hour - EIGHTEEN years ago.
I nannied one summer, back in 1977. 9 hours a day, 5 days a week, 3 children, $30 a week! That was typical then in my area, about 50-75 cents an hour, when minimum wage was around 2 bucks. I didn't realize that the pay of babysitters/nannies had so greatly surpassed minimum wage. I'm not saying it's too much, just that I'm surprised that's the average. It seems many people would just break even working if they paid 20 bucks an hour for a nanny. That's all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2014, 02:26 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,040,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayanne View Post
I nannied one summer, back in 1977. 9 hours a day, 5 days a week, 3 children, $30 a week! That was typical then in my area, about 50-75 cents an hour, when minimum wage was around 2 bucks. I didn't realize that the pay of babysitters/nannies had so greatly surpassed minimum wage. I'm not saying it's too much, just that I'm surprised that's the average. It seems many people would just break even working if they paid 20 bucks an hour for a nanny. That's all.
People who can't afford it don't get nannies. They put their children in daycare.

Nanny pay surpasses minimum wage because it's difficult to find competent people who are willing to do it.

Old 05-23-2014, 02:32 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,149,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
(snip)

My son currently pays $20 an hour for his nanny to care for one child (and he says that many people paya lot more than he does for childcare).
Quote:
I was pretty shocked to read that some people pay $15-25/hr for a babysitter! I know a lot of college-degreed people aren't making that much.

(snip)
Quote:
(snip). I didn't realize that the pay of babysitters/nannies had so greatly surpassed minimum wage. I'm not saying it's too much, just that I'm surprised that's the average. It seems many people would just break even working if they paid 20 bucks an hour for a nanny. That's all.
kayanne, your comments really hit home with our family.

The son that I mentioned who pays $20 an hour for his nanny? His salary is $20 an hour. If his wife didn't work and they weren't extremely, extremely frugal they could never live on their salaries and their meager savings.

My son has a doctorate (13 plus years of college & post doctorate training as a researcher) and he makes the same amount per hour as his nanny, who does not speak English and may not have a high school diploma. Our family "joke" is that it is simply supply and demand (good nannies are much harder to find than scientists with a Ph.d).

Old 05-23-2014, 02:34 PM

Quote:
(snip)

My son currently pays $20 an hour for his nanny to care for one child (and he says that many people pay a lot more than he does for childcare).
Quote:
I was pretty shocked to read that some people pay $15-25/hr for a babysitter! I know a lot of college-degreed people aren't making that much.

(snip)
Quote:
(snip). I didn't realize that the pay of babysitters/nannies had so greatly surpassed minimum wage. I'm not saying it's too much, just that I'm surprised that's the average. It seems many people would just break even working if they paid 20 bucks an hour for a nanny. That's all.
kayanne, your comments really hit home with our family.

The son that I mentioned who pays $20 an hour for his nanny? His salary is $20 an hour. If his wife didn't work and they weren't extremely, extremely frugal they could never live on their salaries and their meager savings.

My son has a doctorate (13 plus years of college & post doctorate training as a researcher) and he makes the same amount per hour as his nanny, who does not speak English and may not have a high school diploma. Our family "joke" is that it is simply supply and demand (good nannies are much harder to find than scientists with a Ph.d).

Old 05-23-2014, 08:11 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,040,030 times
Quote:
It's not a joke. It's true. My girlfriend and her husband are lawyers. She gets upset at jobs that pay more than they earn without an education because they have huge student loan debt. The reality is people are paid well to do those jobs because so few people want to do them. Think of dirty jobs or jobs that require being away from home most of the time. Of course, lawyers and scientists are free to switch careers and take those higher paying jobs. They won't because they don't want to do them. THAT'S why the jobs pay well. Bottom line is jobs pay what people will accept.

Old 05-25-2014, 04:23 PM

145 posts, read 320,675 times
Thanks everyone!

Old 05-27-2014, 06:38 AM

Out of curiosity I checked a nanny site that hires for several Midwest cities plus a few around the US.

Even then the range of salaries were huge. Most of the Midwest ones paid $15 an hour, but one job paid $32,000 a year. There was one position, in Seattle, that paid $60,000 to $90,000 a year and there was a SAHM also in the home. I wonder if they would hire a 62 year old, retired teacher. On the plus size, I do have loads of experience and a Masters degree in Child Development. Maybe I should apply.

Old 05-27-2014, 08:47 AM

5,413 posts, read 6,705,034 times
Quote:
Out of curiosity I checked a nanny site that hires for several Midwest cities plus a few around the US.

Even then the range of salaries were huge. Most of the Midwest ones paid $15 an hour, but one job paid $32,000 a year. There was one position, in Seattle, that paid $60,000 to $90,000 a year and there was a SAHM also in the home. I wonder if they would hire a 62 year old, retired teacher. On the plus size, I do have loads of experience and a Masters degree in Child Development. Maybe I should apply.
If you are looking for employment and would like to deal with children......then you should. I am sure there are parents that would love someone with such experience.

Old 05-27-2014, 10:06 AM

6,472 posts, read 6,676,653 times
Quote:

I became curious too. I checked for San Antonio (north and northwestern affluent areas). Most were around $10, some were $12-15. Didn't find any for $90K or I would applied!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting