Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-22-2014, 12:36 PM

111 posts, read 347,957 times

Advertisements

I am with a man that has been a father to my child since she was a few weeks old. Her biological father isn't in her life. He calls her his daughter and she calls him Dada. She is now 14 months. He does so much for her and I want to show him how much we appreciate him. What can we do for his first father's day. Have reservations at a nice restaurant but I want to give him something nice from our daughter. Any ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2014, 12:55 PM

1,029 posts, read 1,491,718 times
If you are in a house with a yard, there are kits that allow you to make a handprint stepping stone. My daughter did this for her daddy when she was 2, and the stepping stone has moved from house to house.

Old 05-23-2014, 10:11 AM

192 posts, read 404,172 times
My husband due to work has to wear his wedding ring on a chain instead of on his finger, so on his first Father's Day I got him a charm of tiny baby footprints to put with it that way he has something of her to carry with him as well. Most people don't even know he has it as it is under his shirt but a few who have spotted it peeking out commented on how sweet that was.

Old 05-23-2014, 10:14 AM

192 posts, read 404,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aggiebuttercup View Post
If you are in a house with a yard, there are kits that allow you to make a handprint stepping stone. My daughter did this for her daddy when she was 2, and the stepping stone has moved from house to house.
Along these lines, you can also buy a small canvas and finger paints and make some sort of a picture. It could be her hands making a shape such as a heart or crossed to make a butterfly. Here are a few links, also try a google search for handprint art.

Handprint Craft Ideas on Tuesday Tots ~ Growing A Jeweled Rose

E is for Explore!: Handprint Calendar

Old 05-23-2014, 11:52 AM

9 posts, read 9,872 times
My boyfriend of 5 yrs has also been a father figure to my 2 boys too since there were little. My youngest son does everything like him, its crazy. But its bittersweet. There father is barely around and does NOTHING for them. Honestly I wish he'd just sign away his parental rights. Am I wrong for thinking like that? But really though my boyfriend is more of a dad then there real dad is.

Old 05-24-2014, 07:43 AM

1,474 posts, read 3,061,510 times
As a father I can tell you what I would want. Peace and quiet. Not joking. Allow him to sleep as late as he wants, bring him a nice breakfast or lunch in bed when he wakes up. Let him
know you'll be taking care of the kid all day and then a nice dinner out at end of the day.

Old 05-24-2014, 07:56 AM

4,761 posts, read 14,308,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northsider14 View Post
I am with a man that has been a father to my child since she was a few weeks old. Her biological father isn't in her life. He calls her his daughter and she calls him Dada. She is now 14 months. He does so much for her and I want to show him how much we appreciate him. What can we do for his first father's day. Have reservations at a nice restaurant but I want to give him something nice from our daughter. Any ideas?

Don't ask this question here where there are mostly women! Rather ask in the Home section, Automotive section, Sports, or Science and Technology/Consumer Electronics sections. (Where the guys hang out!)

FYI - I always appreciate a $1000 gift certificate to Home Depot.

And desert type food is even more appreciated, especially if homemade - cakes, cookies, fudge, etc.

Make him his favorite homemade meal.

Old 05-24-2014, 08:03 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,328,467 times
We have handprints of our grandchildren, one is in a frame with a picture of Papa holding him when he was a few weeks old and the other handprints of both grandchildren are Christmas Ornaments, we also have the stepping stones.
We are hoping to get new hand prints now since the boys are now 11 and 9 so we have a few different ages of handprints.

The boys also got Papa a frame that he hangs on his sunvisor and sent him a special photo in his text message so he can always have their photo with him.

Old 05-28-2014, 06:55 AM

9,130 posts, read 20,046,975 times
Really you could gift to him anything you think he would really like and appreciate. Beyond that, whatever you do to make the day "special" for him will likely be greatly appreciated.

I was in a similar situaiton dating and engaged to my now wife. Her daughter (now both of ours, I adopted her) as early as she could talk began calling me daddy, and I was her only father figure (other than her grandfather and uncles). So to make me feel special on father's day, my wife planned a bunch of things. She took me to breakfast, bought me some cool, but small/inexpensive gifts, and otherwise just wanted to show me how much she loved and appreciated me as a father figure in their lives, and to be accepted as part of the family.

I thought it was a really sweet and special day, although I felt somewhat like I was freeloading on father's day too...

I guess my point is that it was the thought and desire she put into making the day special which I loved the most.

Quote:
Originally Posted by triciad143 View Post
My boyfriend of 5 yrs has also been a father figure to my 2 boys too since there were little. My youngest son does everything like him, its crazy. But its bittersweet. There father is barely around and does NOTHING for them. Honestly I wish he'd just sign away his parental rights. Am I wrong for thinking like that? But really though my boyfriend is more of a dad then there real dad is.
I don't want to hijack the thread but thought I would comment quick. I would not feel "wrong" for thinking that if the biological father really doesn't want anything to do with them, and your boyfriend wants to accept full responsibility for them. That said, depending on laws in your state, it may not be as simple as "signing over." I know in NY, the court will only accept the father signing over rights to another man who would be your spouse (so you would have to marry your boyfriend) and who is adopting the children (which means they must go through the full adoption process, home inspections, etc, too). Even if he doesn't sign over rights, some states will allow adoption to a new spouse as well if abandonment can be proven.

Old 05-30-2014, 10:05 AM

15,813 posts, read 20,582,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkered24 View Post
I don't want to hijack the thread but thought I would comment quick. I would not feel "wrong" for thinking that if the biological father really doesn't want anything to do with them, and your boyfriend wants to accept full responsibility for them. That said, depending on laws in your state, it may not be as simple as "signing over." I know in NY, the court will only accept the father signing over rights to another man who would be your spouse (so you would have to marry your boyfriend) and who is adopting the children (which means they must go through the full adoption process, home inspections, etc, too). Even if he doesn't sign over rights, some states will allow adoption to a new spouse as well if abandonment can be proven.

You are correct. They would need to marry first. For the court to reliquish rights from bio dad over to a new adoptive father, there are certain criteria that need to be met. I'm pretty sure with most, if not all states, require the adoptive parent to have been married to the legal parent for X amount of months. TX, IIRC may allow reliquishment without an adoptive parent under special reasons. Abandonment may also be a qualifying criteria. If serious, i would recommend speaking with a lawyer over their options

From the perspective of the B/F.....I would NOT recommend adopting a child unless you are 100% positive that you want to be there for the child throughout his life even if the relationship with the mother fails. If the couple were to divorce, the step dad, who is now the legal father through the adoption process, would now be responsible for child support until emancipation. Just something to think about when you adopt a young child.

Most often, the husband wants this responsibility, but divorce can change how a person feels unfortunately.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting