Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2014, 12:36 AM

1,137 posts, read 1,100,433 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewitchisback View Post
Me: You know if I were a man you wouldn't call me selfish. But women are supposed to be self sacrificing. It is thrust upon them.

Mom: You are getting me VERY annoyed

Me: You cannot combat my logic so it annoys you. And your lack of logical argument annoys me!!
What logic do you claim to have invented?

You imply that fathers will pack their bags and go on world travel adventures at their leisure while leaving the kids with their mother/grandparents. You imply that because of that idiotic view, and the apparent gender inequality of it, that your mother is ignorant for saying a parent should be a parent.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2014, 03:35 AM

3,636 posts, read 3,430,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
I provided the link to the site I referred.
Yes and that site was an opinion piece that cited no study data or clinical data at all. Anywhere. That is not good.

The OP wants to know if they are being selfish. You are trying to suggest that this is selfish because the OP wants to do something that will potentially harm the child. However your sole back up for the claim it will harm the child is an opinion piece with no evidence whatsoever in it.

So we are back therefore to suggesting the OP is doing nothing wrong and nothing selfish by planning some holiday time away from the child and any suggestion this might harm the child is fear mongering.

OP: To repeat. There is nothing selfish about your wish to travel after the birth. Nothing. There is no reason to think you traveling will harm your child. Nothing. There is also nothing wrong with lamenting that having a child might curtail many aspects of your life. It will - and there is nothing wrong with feeling sad about this.

However if you harbour any animosity towards your child for this fact - THEN there is an issue. And if you harbour any resentment to your mother for not wanting to hear you commiserate the alterations in your life - then simply discontinue such conversation with her and find a better shoulder to cry on. There is no onus on her to be that person. So do not pressure her with it.

Old 05-27-2014, 04:31 AM

19,046 posts, read 25,212,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monumentus View Post
Yes and that site was an opinion piece that cited no study data or clinical data at all. Anywhere. That is not good.

The OP wants to know if they are being selfish. You are trying to suggest that this is selfish because the OP wants to do something that will potentially harm the child. However your sole back up for the claim it will harm the child is an opinion piece with no evidence whatsoever in it.

So we are back therefore to suggesting the OP is doing nothing wrong and nothing selfish by planning some holiday time away from the child and any suggestion this might harm the child is fear mongering.

OP: To repeat. There is nothing selfish about your wish to travel after the birth. Nothing. There is no reason to think you traveling will harm your child. Nothing. There is also nothing wrong with lamenting that having a child might curtail many aspects of your life. It will - and there is nothing wrong with feeling sad about this.

However if you harbour any animosity towards your child for this fact - THEN there is an issue. And if you harbour any resentment to your mother for not wanting to hear you commiserate the alterations in your life - then simply discontinue such conversation with her and find a better shoulder to cry on. There is no onus on her to be that person. So do not pressure her with it.
The article was not a study. It was guidance to parents by experts in the field based on research. There is no reason to cite.

The oly thing close to an OPED is this thread. And yes, she is certainly being selfish in her thought process. Any parent that views her child as an obstacle getting in the way of her potential good time really needs to get a grip.

Old 05-27-2014, 04:44 AM

Quote:
The article was not a study. It was guidance to parents by experts in the field based on research. There is no reason to cite.
On the contrary there is always reasons to cite. Much more so by "experts" because they should no better. You are essentially making an "appeal to authority" fallacy here. Because they claim to be experts we should accept what they are saying even without citation or evidence?

No way - not happening. If they are so "expert" then they should not only know the data - but the importance of presenting it.

Quote:
Any parent that views her child as an obstacle getting in the way of her potential good time really needs to get a grip.
Again that depends on HOW it is viewed as an obstacle. People having children NEED to look at the child as an obstacle to many things. Because an obstacle it will be - and they need to make their choice to procreate in the light of that knowledge and assessment. They need to know what parts of their life it will curtail or even prohibit - and decide if these are compromises to make or not.

Viewing your child as an obstacle to these things is not a bad thing therefore. It is a good thing. Harbouring animosity or negativity towards the child for them however - for a choice the parent themselves made - THAT would be a real issue.

Old 05-27-2014, 05:44 AM

6,486 posts, read 6,396,754 times
Quote:
Any parent that views her child as an obstacle getting in the way of her potential good time really needs to get a grip.
Quote:
Originally Posted by monumentus View Post
Again that depends on HOW it is viewed as an obstacle. People having children NEED to look at the child as an obstacle to many things. Because an obstacle it will be - and they need to make their choice to procreate in the light of that knowledge and assessment. They need to know what parts of their life it will curtail or even prohibit - and decide if these are compromises to make or not.

Viewing your child as an obstacle to these things is not a bad thing therefore. It is a good thing. Harbouring animosity or negativity towards the child for them however - for a choice the parent themselves made - THAT would be a real issue.
I understand what you're both saying. You both make strong points. Monumentus, you are saying that parents shouldn't deny the fact that having children will take a great deal of sacrificing. They shouldn't underestimate just how much sacrifice that will be, because it will be a lot!

However, what Braunwyn's saying, is that ideally, these sacrifices will still feel rather negligible compared to the joys of parenting. Spending time with the new baby should be more exciting than a trip, yes, even to Paris. Frankly, that is what motivates good parenting in spite of those sacrifices. Otherwise, there will be that sort of resentment you speak of. So there should be unmistakable willingness to make those sacrifices. And based on the OP, with statements like

"Makes me very sad. To think of this child styming my movements."

she is feeling quite the opposite about parenting thus far. Nothing wrong with calling that to the OP's attention. And yes, since according to that first post she doesn't hear this argument too clearly, some have chosen to be a bit harsher in trying to get that message across.

It's necessary for a parent to both know what they are giving up by becoming a parent (ideally before even trying to conceive), and for them to, well, not care a whole lot.

Old 05-28-2014, 11:03 PM

513 posts, read 800,300 times
:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
I think you will find it is not that "simple."

I was only away for a few days in the hospital when my daughter was 1. She had cut down on BFing obviously, and her diet was half solids. Still, if I didn't pump every few hours my breasts would get extremely hard and swollen and start leaking. At six months, that happened if I went to a doctors appointment and happened to take longer then a single feeding. It is not "simple" at all.

Old 05-30-2014, 03:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic 2.0 View Post
However, what Braunwyn's saying, is that ideally, these sacrifices will still feel rather negligible compared to the joys of parenting.
And I would not - nor have I - suggested otherwise. But one does not preclude the other is my main point. You can perfectly easily do both - enjoy all the joys and thrills of parenting - while still indulging in a week holiday.

The issue I would take is not just with the people acting like somehow the two are entirely mutually exclusive - when they are not - but users like Braunwyn even claiming outright that such events like a week long abscence can positively harm the child in the long term.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting