Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2014, 10:38 AM

924 posts, read 1,676,206 times

Advertisements

I insisted that they try piano. The two older ones quit after 18 months.

The oldest took up drums in 6th grade and has become an excellent drummer (rock and jazz); also went back to piano and continued playing and took up guitar.

The middle one took up flute, asked to switch to alto sax and now plays alto, tenor, and soprano sax. She also went back to piano (in addition to sax) and is also taking percussion.

The youngest took up the ukelele. She asked to switch to piano very quickly and is actually quite gifted. She only wants to play piano (classical). She has played clarinet but quit to focus on piano. She has had some anxiety issues and I am homeschooling her. When she returns to school next year, I have talked her into playing whatever instrument she wants (in addition to piano) so she can be in band. The deal is she doesn't have to do any of the competitions, I just want her to have that smaller social group of the band to feel more comfortable at school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2014, 10:46 AM

13,980 posts, read 25,942,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twoincomes View Post
Do you have your kid learn several unique musical instruments while they're still in their pre-teen years?

A friend is doing this in large part to try to show how musically inclined her kid is. But I see it more as a reflection of moms desire to drop coin on musical instruments and lessons than reflective of her kids musical talents.

Curious to hear your opinions on learning multiple musical instruments instead of just one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by twoincomes View Post
Please keep all posts on topic.
What is the topic? Is it learning several instruments or the friend whose intentions you are questioning?

All of mine were given the opportunity to play an instrument. Two did, and one of those switched from trumpet to banjo. The banjo was completely self taught on his part. Once they learn to read music, they have options.

Old 05-05-2014, 10:51 AM

1,216 posts, read 3,028,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I didn't "have" my children do anything. I allowed them to pursue whatever they wanted. As a result, they did play multiple instruments. They started with violin and still play today, but they also play guitar, drums, piano, etc., because they like a wide range of music. This was all enrichment based on their interests. My sister was more pushing for a prodigy by going the one instrument route with her daughter.
Agree with this. Our son was in Marching Band, Concert Band and Jazz Band. He started in Junior High and when he was a freshman in High School he, and 5 other boys, wanted to play the drums for Jazz Band. One boy who was by far the best and had the most experience so was chosen. The only thing left open for my son was the piano. He never had formal lessons but he had a keyboard at home. We went to the first concert and saw him listed on the program as the piano player. We were surprised and we said to each other, "I didn't know he could play piano!" LOL

Over the years he played just about every percussion instrument available like marimba, bells, bongo drum, you name it and he played it. He absolutely loved the drum line in Marching Band. Then he became interested in the bass guitar and taught himself. In his junior and senior year he played that in
Jazz band and even won a spot in the district Jazz Band.

He is in college now and he still has a minor in music and still plays the bass guitar. His high school band teacher still asks him and the drummer that I mentioned earlier (my son and he are still great friends) to come back to play in some of the performances especially when they are being recorded.

Old 05-05-2014, 11:11 AM

4,280 posts, read 6,083,198 times
I wouldn't force any child to learn an instrument as not every child is musically inclined. My husband is, I'm not, and I don't know what our kids will be.

However, if a child did want to learn an instrument, it would be best to learn one first and add on later. My sister played only the violin until junior high, where she learned cello and double bass. Then in high school, she learned percussion instruments. That's more the way to go than forcing a bunch of instruments on a young child.

Old 05-05-2014, 11:17 AM

18,462 posts, read 31,621,245 times
NO!!!

I never encouraged my children to ever learn a musical instrument. if the school taught it, then the had to rehearse in the school, NOT my home. not fair to me, since I pay for it, and other family members.

During my teen years we lived next door to a family where one son played the drums and the other sons played the electric guitar, for about 10 years. They had a little group, they were younger in my so thier early teens 12 13, give or take. It was pure hell, you have no idea. Nice people, but lack of consideration, considering they were duplex houses.

I vowed I never ever want a musical instrument in my home.

Old 05-05-2014, 11:26 AM

5,413 posts, read 6,702,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
NO!!!

I never encouraged my children to ever learn a musical instrument. if the school taught it, then the had to rehearse in the school, NOT my home. not fair to me, since I pay for it, and other family members.

During my teen years we lived next door to a family where one son played the drums and the other sons played the electric guitar, for about 10 years. They had a little group, they were younger in my so thier early teens 12 13, give or take. It was pure hell, you have no idea. Nice people, but lack of consideration, considering they were duplex houses.

I vowed I never ever want a musical instrument in my home.
So because you felt your neighbors were rude you would stop your children from learning a musical instrument?

Sort of cutting off your nose to spite your face, isn't it?

Old 05-05-2014, 11:43 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,158,091 times
No

Old 05-05-2014, 12:07 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,900,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psr13 View Post
I wouldn't force any child to learn an instrument as not every child is musically inclined. My husband is, I'm not, and I don't know what our kids will be.

However, if a child did want to learn an instrument, it would be best to learn one first and add on later. My sister played only the violin until junior high, where she learned cello and double bass. Then in high school, she learned percussion instruments. That's more the way to go than forcing a bunch of instruments on a young child.
Even if a child is not *musically inclined,* encouraging him to try a musical instrument is a good idea. Music and math are related and playing an instrument can help a lot with many academic skills. I would not force a child to continue with it forever, but trying it out is a good thing.

18 Benefits of Playing a Musical Instrument

Note that it can increase your reading and comprehension skills because you learn to read notes which is another form of reading.
Also it requires counting notes and rhythms which helps math skills (those pesky fractional quarter notes and eighth notes can make fractions in math easier).

Old 05-05-2014, 12:15 PM

18,462 posts, read 31,621,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarletG View Post
So because you felt your neighbors were rude you would stop your children from learning a musical instrument?

Sort of cutting off your nose to spite your face, isn't it?

yep, it is MY house, MY rules.

NO instruments are allowed to be played ever in MY home that I pay for
and that basically falls under the catagory of tough !!

because if you think I am listening to rehearsals al day long, you have got another thing coming.

do you have any idea of what is was like to sit in your backyard all summer and have to listen to these kids play drums and electric guitars, all day every day, all summer.

no no no ,, no instruments in my house ever.

wanna play an instrument, get your own house, not mine.

Old 05-05-2014, 12:29 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,058,385 times
The benefits of music education have long been known. Even if our kids don't learn to play well it was important they at least be exposed to music education. How sad to grow up in a home where all music education was forbidden so strongly. There isn't a parent alive who hasn't cringe when their kid started playing Twinkle Twinkl Little Star on the violin. The study of music has a physiological impact of the development of the brain. No talented musician sat down with their instrument the first week and mastered it. Practice and rehearsals teach discipline and kids how to meet a goal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting