Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2008, 12:50 PM

58 posts, read 193,211 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yodi View Post
Accomodations such as these are made for life threatning allergies only. If a child can die just from touching a doorknob that another child inadvertantly got Peanut Butter on from not washing their hands after lunch then yes, I think that accomodations can and should be made to reduce the risk of death for these children.
Not true. The accommodations are made for the entire spectrum. Not fair at all.

There is a very small percentage of allergic people who could actually die from a peanut allergy, so don't exaggerate like that. Over dramatizing does not help your cause AT ALL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2008, 03:12 PM

29 posts, read 56,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hank morgan View Post

There is a very small percentage of allergic people who could actually die from a peanut allergy, so don't exaggerate like that. Over dramatizing does not help your cause AT ALL.
There has been over 100 deaths last year in Colorado due to peanuts. Small accommodations would be to wash your hands after you eat. Not a big deal.
Abstract:
Ingenta reviewed seven documented deaths to peanuts and two near deaths. We excluded hearsay undocumented deaths to peanuts. Peanut allergy is one of the most common food allergies and probably the most common cause of death by food anaphylaxis in the United States. About one-third of peanut-sensitive patients have severe reactions to peanuts. Asthmatics with peanut sensitivity appear more likely to develop fatal reactions probably because of the exquisite sensitivity that asthamatics have to chemical mediators of anaphylaxis. Severe reactions occur within a few minutes of ingestion and these patients must carry preloaded epinephrine syringes, antihistamines, and medic-alert bracelets. Treatment should include repeated doses of epinephrine, antihistamines and corticosteroids as well as availability of oxygen, mechanical methods to open airways, vasopressors, and intravenous fluids. Hidden sources of peanuts such as chili, egg rolls, cookies, candy, and pastry should be recognized and identified. Scratch/prick test to peanuts are highly diagnostic. Peanut is one of the most sensitive food allergens known requiring only a few milligrams to cause a reaction. In some individuals, even contact of peanut with unbroken skin can cause an immediate local reaction. Unfortunately, peanut reaction is not outgrown and remains a life-long threatment.

I wish folks would quit the spew against precocious ideas about these allergies. Kids die every year from this. Please grow some compassion. Just be happy YOU don't have to deal with this day to day. Fear of your child dying sucks. What sucks more is you people Bit*hing you have to make accommendations.

Last edited by I'm_someone_elses_tool; 10-14-2008 at 03:45 PM..

Old 10-14-2008, 03:38 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,273,634 times
Default Food iz not the root cause.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJamie View Post
Food allergies can cause eczema?
I wonder what I'm eating wrong then.
I'm covered constantly from head to toe, for the last fifteen years.
I don't drink milk, but eat a lot of milk products, ice cream is a big one.
I just wish it would go away. ;[
What you describe sounds like Atopic Eczema. It does not go away. Food does not cause it. The skin condition is a gene gift from mother to child - and most generally to the daughter. If you use anything but natural soap on your hair and body and clothes. you will most likely suffer more for it. That was my expeience. By otc benidryl product to help keep you "dry". I use Zyrtec. If you do not sweat or blister you should not itch.

Personally, for me. I think its a sensitivity to trees and grass. My legs blister the minute a blade of grass touches them which is why I wear knee length cotton sox all the time.

Old 10-14-2008, 06:27 PM

2,908 posts, read 3,874,565 times
Would you please tell us your credentials?
Nobody is asking you or anyone else to "change their entire lives". I did not realize that eating peanuts was such a significant part of your life. You must lead a small, selfish insignificant life. That's too bad.

Are you a vegan? If so, you obviously have cut meat out of your diet. How hard could it be to refrain from your peanut eating orgy so as to not put children in danger?

BTW, do you have kids? Do you know of any who suffer from severe peanut allergies?

Don't judge until you have walked in another's shoes. It makes you appear dimwitted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuSuSushi View Post
No, but a lot of the helicopter parents could be.

A reaction to any allergen can range from mild irritation to death. Most people who have reactions to food products don't have food allergies, they have food sensitivities. There's a difference. Trouble is when an overprotective parent of a little "Teddy" goes to the extreme and demands that the rest of us change our entire lives in order to keep their kid from getting an itchy rash.

And before any of you jump all over me no, I'm not saying that devastating allergies don't exist. They certainly do, but they're a lot more rare than the media paints them to be.

Edit: Oh, and for the person who posted that there are a lot more food-allergic people than vegans/vegetarians -- you'd better check your facts. There are approximately 12.4 million vegans/vegetarians in the USA, and around 7 million people with food allergies. By simple numbers I'd say the vegans and vegetarians have as much "right" to say what is served in schools as the allergic people.

Old 10-14-2008, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm_someone_elses_tool View Post
There has been over 100 deaths last year in Colorado due to peanuts. Small accommodations would be to wash your hands after you eat. Not a big deal.
Abstract:
Ingenta reviewed seven documented deaths to peanuts and two near deaths. We excluded hearsay undocumented deaths to peanuts. Peanut allergy is one of the most common food allergies and probably the most common cause of death by food anaphylaxis in the United States. About one-third of peanut-sensitive patients have severe reactions to peanuts. Asthmatics with peanut sensitivity appear more likely to develop fatal reactions probably because of the exquisite sensitivity that asthamatics have to chemical mediators of anaphylaxis. Severe reactions occur within a few minutes of ingestion and these patients must carry preloaded epinephrine syringes, antihistamines, and medic-alert bracelets. Treatment should include repeated doses of epinephrine, antihistamines and corticosteroids as well as availability of oxygen, mechanical methods to open airways, vasopressors, and intravenous fluids. Hidden sources of peanuts such as chili, egg rolls, cookies, candy, and pastry should be recognized and identified. Scratch/prick test to peanuts are highly diagnostic. Peanut is one of the most sensitive food allergens known requiring only a few milligrams to cause a reaction. In some individuals, even contact of peanut with unbroken skin can cause an immediate local reaction. Unfortunately, peanut reaction is not outgrown and remains a life-long threatment.

I wish folks would quit the spew against precocious ideas about these allergies. Kids die every year from this. Please grow some compassion. Just be happy YOU don't have to deal with this day to day. Fear of your child dying sucks. What sucks more is you people Bit*hing you have to make accommendations.
When it's your turn to make decisions for me, I'll let you know. Until then, don't judge me.

Old 10-14-2008, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theS5 View Post
Would you please tell us your credentials?
Nobody is asking you or anyone else to "change their entire lives". I did not realize that eating peanuts was such a significant part of your life. You must lead a small, selfish insignificant life. That's too bad.

Are you a vegan? If so, you obviously have cut meat out of your diet. How hard could it be to refrain from your peanut eating orgy so as to not put children in danger?

BTW, do you have kids? Do you know of any who suffer from severe peanut allergies?

Don't judge until you have walked in another's shoes. It makes you appear dimwitted.
And what dimwitted credentials do YOU have? What business is it of yours what anybody chooses to eat? You're talking like it should be against the law to eat peanuts. I LIKE peanuts. So do a lot of other people.

So do us a favor, and take care of your own, and we'll take care of ours.

It makes you appear dimwitted when you try to control others.

Old 10-14-2008, 08:24 PM

20 posts, read 44,191 times
I feel very sorry for the children of all these angry people. Is it so important to send peanuts to school, knowing your own child may have to witness a classmate go into anaphylaxis and possibly die in front of him or her?? When my daughter was in kindergarten, (before her brother was diagnosed) I explained about the 2 kids in her class that have peanut and other food allergies, and how sick they could become. At the innocent age of 5, she said, mommy I don't want my friends to get sick, so please don't pack me things that can hurt them. I have met other children like this, since learning of my sons allergy. Its easy to put into kid terms, and most people will be amazed about how compassionate children can be. I have unfortunately witnessed my a severe reaction, and it is very scarey. Does any parent really want to put their child into the position to witness this?

Old 10-14-2008, 09:17 PM

4,267 posts, read 6,185,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hank morgan View Post

I have never ever heard of a school making accommodations for people with food sensitivity or non-life threatening allergies. I don't think that they should and I don't know anyone who would expect them to do so. I have only heard of schools making accommodations for kids with life threatening allergies. I also know parents who have tried to get their school to take reasonable precautions for their children who have life threatning allergies to peanuts only to be met with opposition from the school. You sound very angry.

Old 10-14-2008, 09:40 PM

3,032 posts, read 8,922,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm_someone_elses_tool View Post
There has been over 100 deaths last year in Colorado due to peanuts.
Mind giving hard cold factual references on that statement? The CDC's website disagrees with you -- a lot. It's more like 125 per year, and that's for ALL food allergy deaths, not just peanuts.

Old 10-15-2008, 04:07 AM

112 posts, read 320,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by linicx View Post
What you describe sounds like Atopic Eczema. It does not go away. Food does not cause it. The skin condition is a gene gift from mother to child - and most generally to the daughter. If you use anything but natural soap on your hair and body and clothes. you will most likely suffer more for it. That was my expeience. By otc benidryl product to help keep you "dry". I use Zyrtec. If you do not sweat or blister you should not itch.

Personally, for me. I think its a sensitivity to trees and grass. My legs blister the minute a blade of grass touches them which is why I wear knee length cotton sox all the time.
Yeah, I know its atopic, and it will never go away, but several people with and without eczema have told me changing my diet may help. I'm on steroids now, but they're running out, but it's always a nice two weeks where I can feel beautiful. XD
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting