Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2014, 08:01 AM

501 posts, read 934,010 times

Advertisements

My wife and I live a relatively thrifty life - other than owning a nice home (which I consider an investment) and a quality learning center aka daycare for my kid, we don't spend a lot on her. A basic set of toys for her to play with, used furniture for her room, and sufficient clothes from the variety store. We provide a couple of extracurricural activiteis for her like music and dance. She has lots of books from the library but we don't purchase a lot of books.

We do quite a few family activities that require gas money - camping, hiking, skiing, etc where there is a family bonding component.

Other parents that we know spend much more heavily - lots of educational electronic learning toys like Leapfrog, play structures in back yard, video games, fake kitchen appliances, more activities, etc, etc.

My question is - do children whose parents spend heavily on them to provide experiences turn out better than those who choose to live a more thrifty lifestyle?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2014, 08:06 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,199,716 times
No.

Old 01-30-2014, 08:07 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,476,020 times
I find children whose parents don't judge other parents for their parenting choices tend to do well. Sets a good precedent for a healthy lifestyle. Parents who do lots of self congratulatory back patting tend to be the most shocked when their kids make poor decisions. And they will eventually make a poor decision or two. Perfect parents get fewer in number as kids age. There tend to be a lot of them with kids in preschool.

Old 01-30-2014, 08:10 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,280,618 times
Money has nothing to do with the level of parenting one can do.
There are parents from all income levels who are good parents and there are those who are bad parents.
I can't even imagine thinking that money can buy a good parent.

Old 01-30-2014, 08:18 AM

13,981 posts, read 25,971,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
I find children whose parents don't judge other parents for their parenting choices tend to do well. Sets a good precedent for a healthy lifestyle. Parents who do lots of self congratulatory back patting tend to be the most shocked when their kids make poor decisions. And they will eventually make a poor decision or two. Perfect parents get fewer in number as kids age. There tend to be a lot of them with kids in preschool.

Old 01-30-2014, 08:41 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,574,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twoincomes View Post
My question is - do children whose parents spend heavily on them to provide experiences turn out better than those who choose to live a more thrifty lifestyle?
No.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post

Old 01-30-2014, 08:53 AM

1,076 posts, read 2,370,594 times
No, spending more money does not make anyone a better parent. Having sufficient learning tools, and appropriate clothing for weather would be a cost some parents don't indulge enough in. But like you said, books from the library are absolutely fine in comparison to shopping at Barnes and Nobles.

My husband came home juding our daughters friend yesterday when they went sledding, and at first I was telling him to keep an open mind. For example, the kid sledding was using an old fiberglass piece of boat to sled on, while our daughter has a true sled (cost 14.99).To me, those parents were resourceful as it doesnt snow very often here to validate the cost of a sled, so the fiberglass was a good idea to me. He said the kids sock were soaking wet... i explained that snow is actually water... that again does not make his parents bad parents. But then he told me, the kid did not have boots on, not even sneakers, more like loafers, plus he had no hat. Now... granted, I don't know if his parents were home when he got dressed or what, but to me having boots to go in the snow are important. My daughter had a scarf, hat, boots, and gloves on. He made her put a 2nd pair on socks on worrying her feet would get cold. They are both 8 years old.
That is the only time being thrifty would concern me.

Old 01-30-2014, 08:56 AM

2,382 posts, read 5,398,979 times
No. Spending TIME is more important than money.

Old 01-30-2014, 08:58 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,404,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twoincomes View Post

Your question is kind of off.

It's not a. spend more vs b. spend less that makes you better.

IT IS THE TIME you spend with your kids that makes all the difference.
All the money you spend on daycare can't hold a candle to the benefits and great experiences your kid would have if you spent that time with her instead.
Same with game systems, etc.

My 2 year old has access to anything in the world. What really floats his boat is time with us, outside, throwing acorns or counting rocks or waving at the school bus. Time inside, reading a book, practicing colors, building blocks, playing with cars. There is no toy we could buy that would make him as happy and benefit him as much.

Money is great for kids in that it gets them shelter, good quality food, basic health care, and a safe environment. After that, it's face time with parents that makes the biggest difference. And that's what counts as good parenting in my book.

Old 01-30-2014, 09:16 AM

4,564 posts, read 10,959,589 times
OP, hate to burst your bubble but the older they get, the more expensive they get. It's easy when they are little to be so thrifty, but as they get older and have interests outside of what you can always control.....not always the case.

When our son was little we were thrifty because we had little money. As he got older and had interests and things he was passionate about, we absolutely did whatever we could (and can) to support that. And some of those things were rather expensive. But I truly believe they did help him develop into who he is today - which is someone we are beyond proud of.

I don't think one way of parenting is better than the other - each family is different and has to do what works for them and that particular child.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting