Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-29-2007, 10:16 AM

29,391 posts, read 55,618,997 times

Advertisements

Wellington, New Zealand (AHN) - Public hospitals in New Zealand's capital and coast have revived a program that offers cash vouchers to mothers who immediately go home after giving birth. The measure will be implemented in December and January because of a shortage of midwives. The Capital and Coast District Health Board will give $100 supermarket vouchers to mothers who don't stay at the post-natal ward after delivering their babies. The board runs public hospitals in Wellington, Porirua and the Kapiti Coast.

New Zealand Hospitals Offer $100 To Moms Who Go Home Shortly After Giving Birth | November 29, 2007 | AHN (http://www.allheadlinenews.com/articles/7009299322 - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2007, 12:38 PM

8,323 posts, read 15,175,551 times
Well, I don't think I would have qualified after my delivery... I was in the ICU and my daughter was in the NICU. They were reluctant to let me go after 4 days. If it wasn't for the problems, I probably would do this - formula is expensive.

Old 11-29-2007, 04:27 PM

10,113 posts, read 10,972,302 times
We have midwives here and in some cases the babies are delivered at home. My daughter couldn't make it to Charlotte to her OB doc when she had her son and a midwife delivered the baby in the hospital. She and our grandson came home the next day.

If you have ever witnessed out-patient surgery at local hospitals ... it's assembly line AMAZING ... the doc does whatever and you hit the recovery room and then ZAP they dump you in a wheel chair and roll you out and most times you are doped to the gills and sort of flop around and slide in the wheelchair (because you are hurting) and then you are crammed into a vehicle and off you go.

Old 11-29-2007, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaWoman View Post
If you have ever witnessed out-patient surgery at local hospitals ... it's assembly line AMAZING ... the doc does whatever and you hit the recovery room and then ZAP they dump you in a wheel chair and roll you out and most times you are doped to the gills and sort of flop around and slide in the wheelchair (because you are hurting) and then you are crammed into a vehicle and off you go.
I've never experienced any sort of action like that when I had surgery or when others had out-patient surgery.

For the most part it's:

1) Procedure is done.
2) You wake up in a recovery room where you get to stay until you feel comfortable enough in your awakened state. They give you food, drink, etc to make you comfy. If the surgery had nothing to do with your walking, then they make sure you can stand and move around without problem.
3) Once you are 100% conscious and ready to go, they get you dressed and into a wheelchair.
4) They wheel you out to the car where they make sure you get in safely - if needed, they help out. Oh, if you went under, don't expect to drive - they won't let you.
5) Once you are as comfortable as possible in the car, your driver takes you to the pharmacy to get drugs.

At least, that's what has happened for my 4 outpatient surgeries and the ones of my friends and family.

Old 11-29-2007, 09:35 PM

1,219 posts, read 4,219,762 times
Wow, I'd of made some bucks with my babies! One was born at home, but the others were in the hospital-two of those I stayed less than 10 hours. With the babies that I stayed overnight for-even though I did not want to-I couldn't sleep anyhow. I wanted to be home with my baby in my own bed.

They did have nice meals, though.

Old 11-30-2007, 01:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderintonc View Post
They did have nice meals, though.
When I was able to eat again after delivery, I was delivered a T-bone steak, lobster tail, marvelous mashed potatoes, green beans, half of a pomegranate, jell-o with fruit in it, cheesecake, an energy drink (can't have when pregnant!), and a horsepill vitamin.

It was heavenly.

Then again, I hadn't eaten in over 20 hours....

Old 12-01-2007, 05:19 PM

3,099 posts, read 2,647,815 times
if the birth was uncomplicated (non-c-section, healthy baby and mom) then there is no reason to stay in the hospital anyway. you can always have a nurse come to check both of them in a couple of days at home anyway.
i couldnt wait to get out of the hospital. a hospital is no place to get any rest with all the racket and the nurses bothering you all the time. i practically escaped before given permission.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting