Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2014, 03:48 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,614,054 times

Advertisements

Lest you think the worst supermarket threat to your kids lurks in the soda aisle, a new study has found that perhaps the scariest hazard of all is your shopping cart. The classic basket on wheels is responsible for an average of 24,000 childhood emergency-room injuries a year — that’s 66 a day — with the rate of cart-related concussions on the upswing, according to the findings published in the journal Clinical Pediatrics in December but announced with fanfare on Tuesday.

Parents, Beware: Shopping Carts Send 66 Kids to the ER Every Day
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2014, 01:03 AM

9,418 posts, read 13,504,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
Lest you think the worst supermarket threat to your kids lurks in the soda aisle, a new study has found that perhaps the scariest hazard of all is your shopping cart. The classic basket on wheels is responsible for an average of 24,000 childhood emergency-room injuries a year — that’s 66 a day — with the rate of cart-related concussions on the upswing, according to the findings published in the journal Clinical Pediatrics in December but announced with fanfare on Tuesday.

Parents, Beware: Shopping Carts Send 66 Kids to the ER Every Day
I can't believe nobody has responded to this. I see the scariest situations with shopping carts and kids. I've actually stood by stranger's carts while the parents walk away, trying to keep toddler age and preschoolers from falling out or making the cart fall over, the parents are oblivious. My ex-husband's cousin actually won money in a lawsuit after her child, a toddler, fell out of a shopping cart after her mother walked away, the child had a brain injury.

Old 01-25-2014, 06:04 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,554,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXNGL View Post
I can't believe nobody has responded to this. I see the scariest situations with shopping carts and kids. I've actually stood by stranger's carts while the parents walk away, trying to keep toddler age and preschoolers from falling out or making the cart fall over, the parents are oblivious. My ex-husband's cousin actually won money in a lawsuit after her child, a toddler, fell out of a shopping cart after her mother walked away, the child had a brain injury.
The fact anyone can win money after walking away from their child in a shopping cart is beyond comprehension. It is not the fault of the store that the parent walked away.

This crap happens because people know they will not be held accountable. It's always someone else's fault.

Old 01-25-2014, 07:03 AM

4,829 posts, read 8,731,042 times
it's not the shopping carts ---- it's the moron parents/caregivers who don't strap the kids in and don't pay attention. While they're scanning the shelves for a can of peas, the kid is trying to climb out of the seat. I've seen it so many times and have actually had to stand by a cart and watch kids because the parent/caregiver is so absorbed in finding something that they forget they have a kid in the cart.

I say if anyone initiates a lawsuit, video footage should be viewed. If it turns out the parent wasn't watching the child, then the suit should be immediately dismissed.

Old 01-25-2014, 08:19 AM

19,046 posts, read 25,201,354 times
Yesterday was the first time I took my daughter shopping with me and my husband heard about this story and gave warning. Fortunately, the cart had straps and I also brought one of the pull overs that had straps as well. She was in good, but the tipping thing is scary. I haven't thought about that. I didn't remove my hand from the handle of the cart the entire time I shopped. I found it easy enough to shop with one hand.

Old 01-25-2014, 08:25 AM

1,156 posts, read 1,969,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amisi View Post
it's not the shopping carts ---- it's the moron parents/caregivers who don't strap the kids in and don't pay attention. While they're scanning the shelves for a can of peas, the kid is trying to climb out of the seat. I've seen it so many times and have actually had to stand by a cart and watch kids because the parent/caregiver is so absorbed in finding something that they forget they have a kid in the cart.

I say if anyone initiates a lawsuit, video footage should be viewed. If it turns out the parent wasn't watching the child, then the suit should be immediately dismissed.

Unfortunately we live in a country where you can break into a house to steal things, trip over whatever, and still win a lawsuit, even though you were the one who broke into the house with intent to steal. So that sort of lawsuit doesn't surprise me in the least nor the fact that it won. Common sense is not taken into account in our judicial system.

Old 01-25-2014, 09:32 AM

1,029 posts, read 1,489,805 times
I never liked to strap the infant seat to the top of the cart - it never seemed secure there. If the store didn't provide carts with a built-in infant carrier, then my baby seat went into the body of the cart, and I just didn't buy as many groceries.

My toddlers knew there would be immediate consequences if they tried to climb out of the child seat or do anything except sit quietly with legs where they were supposed to be. I knew not to leave the cart within reach of anything, because child would happily pull a whole display of canned goods on his/her head (after all, legs were where they were supposed to be!), or, less scarily, fill the cart with cookies of I wasn't looking.

We used the "fun carts", which look like a car stuck to the front of the cart, a lot, but I found those less safe, because my kids were more likely to try to get out of those, since they were so low to the ground. And as soon as my kids could walk and stay close to me, they did.

Old 01-25-2014, 10:26 AM

8,590 posts, read 12,355,682 times
I often see parental inattention when they are unloading the cart to pay for the items. I've stood behind numerous kids trying to climb out while mom or dad unloads the cart. I often try to distract the child in a subtle way by making funny faces or something similar. I've "caught" a few kids. The worst was when mom smacked the kid after I stopped him from going over the side. He was only a year old or so.

Old 01-25-2014, 01:02 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,168,330 times
Years ago I had a student who was in my classroom for children with cognitive disabilities. According to the records she fell out of a grocery cart when she was a few months old, landing on her head on a hard surface and suffered permanent brain damage. However, the records were somewhat sketchy and it is possible that it was caused by some other type of abuse or neglect. CPS had taken her away from her mother.

Old 01-25-2014, 02:00 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,201,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
Years ago I had a student who was in my classroom for children with cognitive disabilities. According to the records she fell out of a grocery cart when she was a few months old, landing on her head on a hard surface and suffered permanent brain damage. However, the records were somewhat sketchy and it is possible that it was caused by some other type of abuse or neglect. CPS had taken her away from her mother.
What a sad story. I don't understand how she was even in a grocery cart at a few months old.

If it's a car seat in a cart, I think a snap & go is the better option.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting