Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2013, 05:30 PM

6,292 posts, read 10,644,037 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
That is a very irresponsible response. As many parents have already written, it is a common behavior in young children. In and of itself, it is completely normal and indicative of nothing.
It's not at all irresponsible I'm stating a fact. I didn't say her child has autism. I said it's a warning sign which it is. It's actually used as part of the data collected for diagnosis.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2013, 05:40 PM

12,979 posts, read 14,605,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spazkat9696 View Post
It's not at all irresponsible I'm stating a fact. I didn't say her child has autism. I said it's a warning sign which it is. It's actually used as part of the data collected for diagnosis.
Please post a link, thanks.

One of the diagnostic tools for an ASD diagnosis is the child is given items to sort, the criteria the child chooses to use to sort is the data point, not the sorting itself.

Old 12-04-2013, 06:58 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,372,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
For me, it's m&m candies. I sort them by color, too. No idea why I do this. My husband thinks it's funny.
I do that, too. Once I start a color pattern in eating M&Ms, I have to keep it up even if it means leaving stragglers behind. I also am OCD about alphabetizing ... books, spices, etc. I'm not excessively tidy, I don't think, but I like to be able to find things. And heaven knows my organizational skills have never translated into any ability with math or engineering.

Old 12-04-2013, 07:18 PM

171 posts, read 312,514 times
My daughter started doing this everynow and then when she started to walk (14months.) would line up the hamburger helper boxs and mac and cheese boxes. When we came home from grocery shopping. Also would line up the paper towel rolls when we bought the large packs from Sams club. She is closing in on three years. Not so much now.

Old 12-04-2013, 07:21 PM

44,252 posts, read 64,565,609 times
My 2 year old yells, "Mail truck!" if he is distressed or doesn't know how to answer your question.

Point: kids are weird

Old 12-04-2013, 07:40 PM

6,292 posts, read 10,644,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
Please post a link, thanks.

One of the diagnostic tools for an ASD diagnosis is the child is given items to sort, the criteria the child chooses to use to sort is the data point, not the sorting itself.
You can google it yourself. Lining up of objects is one of the things looked for on the ADOS which is the current gold standard for diagnosing autism. I have also filled out several diagnostic questionnaires as a parent and an educator and lining up objects and/or not using objects as intended is on them all.

Old 12-04-2013, 07:59 PM

501 posts, read 937,658 times
Folks, please discontinue the autism / aspergers discussion. It is off topic and not part of my post.

Old 12-05-2013, 04:59 AM

3,070 posts, read 5,248,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spazkat9696 View Post
We have been through psychologists for weeks with our son and they've never even asked about it or cared to observe that. It's not a "warning sign" but it can be a trait for some children. In terms of importance, it is very, very, very low on the scale of what matters and what doesn't.

Old 12-05-2013, 08:14 AM

2,307 posts, read 3,012,868 times
It's a good sign. Lining things up is a math-readiness skill. Lining up and sorting lead to counting, making patterns, and matching games. It's all normal, healthy, developmentally appropriate play and should be encouraged!

Old 12-05-2013, 02:11 PM

155 posts, read 557,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twoincomes View Post
My toddler (3 years) make lines out of ordinary objects, if she has a bunch of matching objects. Seashells, CDs, gems, legos, and everything else she finds.

Wondering if other parents have noticed this, and if they have any observations on their child's personality.
my son did this when he was 3 year old and even now (5 years) he do this some time.
He also match something like type or car or color.

I went to riteaid once and he told he is going to look the cars and before I get my things he took around 20 Van (same type) and make a big line.

but now he reduced a lot of this.

some body told me that if he can arrange things like than the he is good in math (not sure how true it is)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting