Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2013, 02:50 PM

22,615 posts, read 47,734,076 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
I get why some people initially found this book creepy but given that it was written as part of the grief process I don't get why people still need to keep calling the guy who wrote it for his dead children creepy.
??
Where is that post?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2013, 03:52 PM

2,453 posts, read 3,611,473 times
I found it bizarre, regardless of the inspiration behind it.

Old 12-01-2013, 06:03 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,913,790 times
It's always struck me as being so over-the-top, with Mom crawling around,climbing ladders and rocking her full-grown adult son in her arms, that the emotional truths and tributes the author attempted to convey are lost in the absurdity. A very clunky literary device, which offsets any good intentions, at least for me.

Also, the pictures of the younger Mom depict her looking a LOT like an FLDS wife, with that long braid and pastel granny gown. Adds another dimension of more than a little creepiness, considering the overweening controlling behavior which she claims is love for her "baby"! (to be fair, the book was published long before the FLDS starting making the news a few years ago).

Yes, maternal love is eternal in both directions - but this book does not do its subject justice in any way.

Old 12-02-2013, 11:52 AM

1,059 posts, read 2,225,471 times
I read this book so many times I had it memorized. I did not find it creepy at all. I never looked at it as an exact replica of a Mother's love, I always took it as symbolic of the love a mother has for their child.
I also think it sent a great message to my children. No matter their age, I would always love them, nothing wrong with that message, IMO.

Old 12-02-2013, 12:06 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,136,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post
It's always struck me as being so over-the-top, with Mom crawling around,climbing ladders and rocking her full-grown adult son in her arms, that the emotional truths and tributes the author attempted to convey are lost in the absurdity. A very clunky literary device, which offsets any good intentions, at least for me.

Also, the pictures of the younger Mom depict her looking a LOT like an FLDS wife, with that long braid and pastel granny gown. Adds another dimension of more than a little creepiness, considering the overweening controlling behavior which she claims is love for her "baby"! (to be fair, the book was published long before the FLDS starting making the news a few years ago).

Yes, maternal love is eternal in both directions - but this book does not do its subject justice in any way.
Ever hear of hyperbole? Of course it's not about a mother who climbs a ladder to see her grown son. It's an exaggeration and a sweet one at that. When my kids were little and found this book which DH bought for me and not them I decided to read it to them anyway. They immediately understood no Mom would do such a silly thing but it demonstrated the strong love Moms have for their children.

Old 12-02-2013, 04:25 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,751,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
??
Where is that post?
In the articles posted by several people. The one in the OP, or rather in the comments. And then the blog in another post.

Old 12-02-2013, 04:37 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,913,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
Ever hear of hyperbole? Of course it's not about a mother who climbs a ladder to see her grown son. It's an exaggeration and a sweet one at that. When my kids were little and found this book which DH bought for me and not them I decided to read it to them anyway. They immediately understood no Mom would do such a silly thing but it demonstrated the strong love Moms have for their children.

Yes -but there are other books which convey the same message of the everlasting nature of mother-child love with considerably more literary effectiveness and grace. This one seems just clunky to me!

Old 12-02-2013, 04:39 PM

1,515 posts, read 2,276,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
That's what I read into it as well.

There was another kid book that we checked out from Kumon of all places. It was to practice reading with my son but he wanted me to read it to him at bedtime. It had a similar theme of a parent growing old and the son at the very end comforting his elderly mother. As I recall, the illustrations were quite lovely--watercolors if I recall. I was reading along and as we progressed, I started getting more and more choked up to the point of me sitting on the bed sobbing. Never saw this emotional sucker punch coming....wow. I cry easily at movies or reading a book though.

Old 12-05-2013, 08:45 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,198,006 times
Don't any of you think of the mother climbing the ladder to her adult son's room as figurative? Symbolic of how a parent will always love their child?

Old 12-05-2013, 09:05 PM

49,927 posts, read 60,008,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
Don't any of you think of the mother climbing the ladder to her adult son's room as figurative? Symbolic of how a parent will always love their child?
Of course it's completely metaphorical.

But some clumsy, cheesy or outrageous metaphors, and some illustrations of metaphors, can tank the most well-intentioned story, which I think is what happens with this book.

A similar but better executed book is The Rainbow Bridge, about the loss of a pet. It's also a metaphor, but it doesn't distract from the narrative.

I'm not belittling Mr. Munsch's experience or its affect on readers in any way. It just does not have the same effect on everyone.

Last edited by BirdieBelle; 12-05-2013 at 09:16 PM.. Reason: typo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting