Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2013, 08:09 PM

4 posts, read 6,690 times

Advertisements

I'm due for my DD in February, and my ds turns 3 on the 14th of December....but DS has toddler behavior issues and I don't know how I will cope with them when the baby arrives. I already fear we have a toddler-run household. How would I take back the control? Sorry I am very emotional right now...

Last edited by Gatormomma; 11-23-2013 at 09:10 PM..

Old 11-23-2013, 08:17 PM

4,829 posts, read 8,755,756 times
If you can afford to do so, why not hire someone to come in and help?

Old 11-23-2013, 08:22 PM

14,413 posts, read 22,573,039 times
Congratulations!!
Are you a single mother? If so I do feel bad for you and I hope you can get some support from family or friends. Im due on Christmas and my son is 7. It used to be all about him but we have had allot of talks and he is ready to help and be a big brother. What kind of behavior issues does your daughter have? Is it because you are expecting a new baby?

Old 11-23-2013, 09:08 PM

4 posts, read 6,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
Congratulations!!
Are you a single mother? If so I do feel bad for you and I hope you can get some support from family or friends. Im due on Christmas and my son is 7. It used to be all about him but we have had allot of talks and he is ready to help and be a big brother. What kind of behavior issues does your daughter have? Is it because you are expecting a new baby?
I am not a single mother, we are still married... But my 3 year old has just so many meltdowns...I know toddlers meltdown a lot, but even my and his parents think that our toddler is a brat, even I overhead the daycare staff gossiping about my baby toddler boy! I don't want a toddler run household....

Old 11-23-2013, 09:25 PM

17,183 posts, read 23,026,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatormomma View Post
I am not a single mother, we are still married... But my 3 year old has just so many meltdowns...I know toddlers meltdown a lot, but even my and his parents think that our toddler is a brat, even I overhead the daycare staff gossiping about my baby toddler boy! I don't want a toddler run household....
You may need some help to learn how to help your child and/or your child may need to be evaluated for special needs.

How is his speech? Is he frustrated because others cannot understand him. At 3, most children are about 75% understood by strangers and 80 to 90% understood by his parents.

How do you discipline? Are you consistent? Do you find yourself saying no and/or yelling a lot? If so, you probably need to change what you are doing. For a 3 year old, make sure you have his attention before you tell him to do something (or to stop doing something). Phrase things positively. Use your walking feet instead of don't run. Feet on the floor instead of stop jumping on the couch. Use your inside voice instead of stop yelling. Tell him what he can do rather than what he cannot do. We can yell outside at the park. We can run outside. You can jump on these pillows.

What does he do that seems different from other 3 year old boys?

You may want to read "The Happiest Toddler on the Block" by Harvey Karp
The Happiest Toddler on the Block: How to Eliminate Tantrums and Raise a Patient, Respectful, and Cooperative One- to Four-Year-Old: Revised Edition: Harvey Karp: 9780553384420: Amazon.com: Books

You may also want to begin preparing him to be a big brother now.
Birth of a Second Child

Quote:
Let your older child help pick out items for the new baby's room. If your kids will be sharing a bedroom, this is particularly important.
Read some sibling books with him now
What to Expect When the New Baby Comes Home (What to Expect Kids): Heidi Murkoff, Laura Rader: 9780694013272: Amazon.com: Books
I'm a Big Brother: Joanna Cole, Maxie Chambliss: 9780688145071: Amazon.com: Books

Good luck. Your pregnancy hormones are probably not helping you cope.

Last edited by Jaded; 11-24-2013 at 10:18 PM.. Reason: Copyright

Old 11-24-2013, 08:27 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,895,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatormomma View Post
Are you getting your toddler outdoors enough? I've noticed that when kids are bratty if they're indoors, there is nothing like getting them outdoors, climbing trees, riding bicycles, going for a good long hike or even a good wagon ride --- good physical activity will almost always cure it, or physical activity and a good nap. Take a 3 year old for a good long walk through the neighborhood -- at least a mile and almost always when they get back home they're calm and sweet.

Old 11-24-2013, 08:50 AM

12,003 posts, read 11,967,306 times
Does your little boy know that the baby is on the way? Your local library children's department will have books about new babies and being an older sibling. Once the baby is here, be sure to get him a baby doll - yes, little boys need dolls, too. He can join you in rocking his baby, changing and feeding, and so on. Very grown-up, responsible behavior.

Meanwhile - keep a diary for a day or two and see what triggers his meltdowns. Do they happen during transitions? Before meals? Near naptime or bedtime? If you see a pattern, make a (flexible) schedule that he will understand - use posterboard and drawings or cut-outs if you can't draw - to document the day's activities. Have him help you - "What happens after we get up in the morning? That's right, we eat breakfast! Let's put a picture of breakfast right here!" and so on. Then put it to use, using cute stickers or stars for successful, tear-and-tantrum-free success.

At this age, distraction can help considerably, if you catch an oncoming meltdown in time to divert his attention. Feel free to act a little silly with him at times - toddlers love it when their parents or other significant adults join in such fun - but pick your moment.

Sing with him and to him. Find children's songs about his activities of daily living and sing them at the appropriate times. Talent is not required, enthusiasm is. Nursery rhymes are very, very functional in this regard, and lend themselves to extravagant gestures, facial expressions, and general silliness that explains why they've been favorites with toddlers for centuries.

For transitions, be sure to give him a five-minute (or less) warning - "Johnny, it's almost time to go to the park, so let's put away your toys now. Do you want to go on the swings or slide first?", etc. Always emphasis the pleasurable aspects of the next activity, to help move him along happily: "It's time to go play in the tub! Do you want your toy boat or bath crayons tonight?", or, "Do you want to wear your red or blue shirt today?" Offer no more than two choices, be matter-of-fact. If he wants to wear the green shirt, tell him that's tomorrow's shirt, and follow through the next day.

Have a talk with his daycare-givers and see what their take is on his behavior, and how they're handling it. Does he get to play with other children outside of daycare? How long has he been in daycare? If this behavior is new, could there be a link with daycare?? How many children are in his daycare group? Do they mix with other groups on the playground or at other times? How many days and how many hours each day is he in daycare? Is there a rest or nap period there? Could he be short on sleep? Could food allergies be involved?

Hope these ideas and suggestions help.

Old 11-24-2013, 09:19 AM

28 posts, read 32,124 times
It might not be a bad idea for you to connect with a mental health professional. A therapist could always help you better manage your son's behavior and at the same time, provide you with emotional support during your second child's birth.

Old 11-24-2013, 10:43 AM

4,749 posts, read 4,339,735 times
How much interaction does he have with other toddlers? That might help. He might enjoy things like play groups or activities. Gymnastics, karate, etc. Do you think he could sit through a mommy & me yoga? Don't take this the wrong way, but does he have friends? Maybe a dog will help out?

Is there a pattern that you've noticed? For example: before he knows he is going to get attention (meals, bath time, etc.).

I strongly believe that kids feed off of the energy surrounding them. Are you and your hubby really stressed out? That was kind of a stupid question, considering that you have a baby on the way.

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting