Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2014, 03:18 AM

2,238 posts, read 3,330,763 times

Advertisements

Mariah explains being "Multi-Racial/Bi-Racial" - YouTube
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2014, 12:50 AM

10,229 posts, read 16,325,689 times
I was very young when I became aware of it, like around 3, and that's likely because I watched "Spanky & Our Gang" all the time. I was intrigued by the various-looking children on the show and particularly by the black American ones.

I was with my mother in a department store when I noticed two black women pushing a stroller with a darling baby in it and I pulled on my mom's skirt and said, quite loudly, "Look, Mama! Look at that little Buckwheat!" I always remembered that, and years later my mother said that the women did not appear to take offense, likely because it was intended as a compliment (I thought the baby was sooo cute, as was Buckwheat). That was in the mid-50's.

Then I entered Kindergarten two years later and had a big mix in playmates.

Old 01-29-2014, 09:42 AM

830 posts, read 1,669,090 times
I don't have kids but I'll use myself as an example. I am a white person.

I think I was 4 or 5 when I first had thoughts about another's race. My mom took my sister and me to her workplace. One of the nurses, who was a tall, dark-complected AA woman, chatted with my mom and then bent down to greet and shake hands with us little ones. The palm of her hand was very dry and I wondered to myself if her palms are dry because she is black, or if all black people have dry palms like hers.

It took me a while longer to acknowledge that Latinos and "white people" (I use quotation marks because I know some Latinos are white/Caucasian) were not considered the same people. I had a Puerto Rican friend in my class until 4th grade, and it wasn't until 6th grade that I learned that she was considered a different race from me.

Old 01-29-2014, 10:34 AM

634 posts, read 710,627 times
My children are 6.5, 4.5 and 2 years old. None are aware. My ethnicity is korean and my husband is Jewish. We live in a predominately caucasion area. There are sprinkles of Asians both eastern and western Asians.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting