Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What are your favorite names out of this list?
Charlotte 59 48.36%
Kennedy 9 7.38%
Lindsay (or Lindsey) 21 17.21%
Evelyn 28 22.95%
Mary 26 21.31%
Savannah 24 19.67%
Lily 47 38.52%
Isaac 31 25.41%
Calvin 15 12.30%
Irvin 2 1.64%
William 63 51.64%
Ivan 9 7.38%
Wesley 30 24.59%
Lawrence 20 16.39%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 122. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2013, 09:14 AM

803 posts, read 1,887,398 times

Advertisements

OP, are those the only names you like? Do you know what you are having?

out of your list I like:

for Girls:

Savannah Lily or Lilia) nicknames for Savannah could be Vanna or Saveena or Saveene. I like Vanna as a n/n and Lilia as the middle name.

Savannah Mary (or Marie or Marina) nice flow and sounds pretty.

The only thing i can see a kid making fun of this name is Savannah the banana. lol its almost tease-proof.

for Boys:

Calvin Wesley I also think of Calvin and Hobbes, its a great memory of mine, as i grew up reading that comic, so its a classic among many. I cant think of a rhyme that kids can make fun of with this name.. Lets face it kids make fun of everything. Dont let that steer you away from any name you like or love. n/n for Calvin can be Cal or even Vinny

Calvin Isaac or Calvin Lawrence - they are both classic names and have a nice flow when said together.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2013, 10:33 AM

14,414 posts, read 22,657,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseyt719 View Post
Sure!!! Why not??

If that has some meaning, I'm completely lost. Lol.
I was referring to a movie. The second movie after Bruce all mighty..I think it was Evan?...
:-)

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 4

Old 11-09-2013, 11:11 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,631,561 times
I don't think Evelyn is too old fashioned. It's a classic solid adult name. Her nickname can be Ev, Evie, Eve, or Lyn.

For those who said Lily sounds too young, Lillian is the adult name for Lily. The only Lily I ever knew was 70 years old. (She would be 90 today if she were still alive.) She had elegance, grace, and dignity. Lily fit her perfectly. It wasn't too young for her. I'll never forget when church bells were chiming Silent Night. I told her it was my favorite Christmas song. She told me it made her sad. Her family was on a trip in Georgia when she was little. They were Catholic and sought out a Catholic church for midnight mass. But they were humiliated in front of everyone by not being allowed in the church because they were black. They stood outside and listened to Silent Night chiming on the church bells. I'd name a child Lily, without hesitation. She was one of the most amazing women I've ever known.

Old 11-09-2013, 11:19 AM

46,094 posts, read 61,641,144 times
Whatever you do don't name the kid something stupid (I include my name, which was popular for about 26 minutes during the mid-1950's. It androgynous and has an inappropriate meaning in a couple other languages).

Also, don't make up a spelling: Jazmyn, Tatyana (the non-existent "h" is vocalized), Demon (Damone), Dammieone, etc.

Old 11-09-2013, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
It androgynous and has an inappropriate meaning in a couple other languages.
I am intrigued.

Old 11-09-2013, 11:40 AM

5,367 posts, read 8,634,165 times
This site: Baby Names | The Baby Name Wizard: The Name Experts (which has tons of cool features btw- almost anything you would ever want to know about any name) - currently lists Charlotte as the #1 Featured name for girls - it shows a massive spike in popularity in 2012 - and there is a collection on that page of writings by people named Charlotte and how they feel about their name.

Old 11-09-2013, 11:43 AM

5,450 posts, read 8,818,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
I was referring to a movie. The second movie after Bruce all mighty..I think it was Evan?...
:-)

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 4
That explains why I don't know it. I don't watch many movies, lol. And when I do, I fall asleep and if I do stay awake, I can never remember them!!!!
It's fair to say I go to movies for the popcorn

Okay now, back to names.

I think names should be something the parent just loves. I say parent in the singular because hubby and I only really loved one if our kids names as a couple. The others one of us loved a name we gave them while the other compromised.

As the mom, I'd never name my child something I truly hated. I think it's my given right to have a little more say as I'm doing all the physical work of bringing the child into the world. I know. Selfish. It worked out though. I gave one of my kids a name that there was no discussion on. I was getting my way and that was the end of it.

All of them we just kind of threw names at each other and said it was good or not. I like different names but not off the wall.

Whatever you decide will be perfect for you and your family. Judging by your list, you're not choosing any that would make anyone ask what the hell you were thinking

Old 11-09-2013, 11:44 AM

90,295 posts, read 121,569,744 times
^^Me, too.

Working in a pediatrician's office as I do (I had to pull that card, didn't I; I was trying not to), there don't seem to be any names these days like the ubiquitous "Linda", "David" of my youth, or "Jennifer" of my niece's generation in the 1970s, or the "Michael" that was sooo popular for soooo long. There are popular names, Evie, Eve, etc being among them, but no name where 20 kids in a class might have the same name (though some come close).

OP, there are plenty of websites that list the most popular names of every year, some for even different parts of the country. I'd throw out #1-10 for both boys and girls, having been saddled with one of those myself.

A cute (I hope) anecdote-I was at a baby shower and we played this game "guess the baby's name". The couple said they wouldn't tell us what they were going to name her (they knew it was a girl), but they said they'd tell us if someone guessed it. I (and someone else) guessed "Ava" as I know its popularity among my patients. They said Ava was their dog's name! So I guess they like it! Baby was named "Evie".

Old 11-09-2013, 11:46 AM

90,295 posts, read 121,569,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseyt719 View Post

Whatever you decide will be perfect for you and your family. Judging by your list, you're not choosing any that would make anyone ask what the hell you were thinking
At my nephew's HS graduation, there were 12 guys with his name. My brother did ask his wife, "What were we thinking?"

Old 11-09-2013, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Working in a pediatrician's office as I do (I had to pull that card, didn't I; I was trying not to), there don't seem to be any names these days like the ubiquitous "Linda", "David" of my youth, or "Jennifer" of my niece's generation in the 1970s, or the "Michael" that was sooo popular for soooo long. There are popular names, Evie, Eve, etc being among them, but no name where 20 kids in a class might have the same name (though some come close).
I named my children classic names. They ended up having very unique names because everyone else is named supposedly "unique" names. LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
A cute (I hope) anecdote-I was at a baby shower and we played this game "guess the baby's name". The couple said they wouldn't tell us what they were going to name her (they knew it was a girl), but they said they'd tell us if someone guessed it. I (and someone else) guessed "Ava" as I know its popularity among my patients. They said Ava was their dog's name! So I guess they like it! Baby was named "Evie".
My friend named her daughter Amanda in the 80s. There were 5 Amandas in almost every classroom with her. She had multiple friends named Amanda. They called each other Amanda 2, 'nother Amanda, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting