Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-12-2013, 10:48 AM

45,218 posts, read 100,707,267 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Barnes View Post
According to your profile you live in Arkansas in an area of homes low point 139K. The Median Salary for the area appears to be about $139k. You appear to be educated. The entire write up about the children seems gamey to me like you are striking up an article to get replies and you are succeeding. A 3 yr old dragging a chair to a refrigerator and placing a stool atop seems like a fairy tale. If it is not I apologize but it sure seems that there is some ethnic mimicry here and I would like to believe that not to be the case but the scenario based on Education and area of the country seems very hard to believe. The little extra concerns chicken having a bite out of it just goes way over the top. I just cannot believe this is factual. Tell me its not so!!!!
You must have missed my previous post to you...The OP lives in North Carolina, not Arkansas.

If you've never seen a 3 year old drag a chair to a cabinet or refrigerator to reach something then you must not have kids
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2013, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
Everybody keeps saying that the OP is not feeding his kids enough food. I'm not sure about that. My son had a short period when he was about 3 where he would go and take things from the kitchen such as crackers, serial, bread. One day I found him on the couch drinking our coffee creamer. And no, he wasn't starving or malnourished. We always eat healthy home cooked meal and always have enough for left overs. We tried to figure out this behavior. I think the root of the problem was attention and I believe for my son that was his problem. I just did not realize it then.
One day this behavior stopped, but it lasted for about 3 months.

Some of the comments on here are just nasty. No wonder the OP don't want to return.

Your theory might be plausible if only ONE of his kids were "stealing" food.

But ALL of his children appear to be hungry.

He has not returned to post, but I'm sure he is reading what others are posting.

Hopefully he is learning some things by doing so - his family is counting on him to figure this out and make some positive changes.

Old 10-12-2013, 11:03 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,142,492 times
Quote:
According to your profile you live in Arkansas in an area of homes low point 139K. The Median Salary for the area appears to be about $139k. You appear to be educated. The entire write up about the children seems gamey to me like you are striking up an article to get replies and you are succeeding. A 3 yr old dragging a chair to a refrigerator and placing a stool atop seems like a fairy tale. If it is not I apologize but it sure seems that there is some ethnic mimicry here and I would like to believe that not to be the case but the scenario based on Education and area of the country seems very hard to believe. The little extra concerns chicken having a bite out of it just goes way over the top. I just cannot believe this is factual. Tell me its not so!!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
You must have missed my previous post to you...The OP lives in North Carolina, not Arkansas.

If you've never seen a 3 year old drag a chair to a cabinet or refrigerator to reach something then you must not have kids
I'm embarrassed to admit that when my son had just turned 24 months he dragged a chair to the stove and was stirring the macaroni in the pot of boiling water when I came downstairs from taking a quick shower. I had absolutely no idea that he was both cognitively aware enough to know how to figure that out and strong enough to drag/carry a heavy wooden dining room chair that far.

I was horrified of what could have happened to him. I immediately put up a baby gate to block the kitchen and started to only use the back burners (as well as waiting until my husband was home to take a shower).

My son was only 24 months at the time, by age three he could get into far more mischief if not closely supervised.

Old 10-12-2013, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
I'm embarrassed to admit that when my son had just turned 24 months he dragged a chair to the stove and was stirring the macaroni in the pot of boiling water when I came downstairs from taking a quick shower. I had absolutely no idea that he was both cognitively aware enough to know how to figure that out and strong enough to drag/carry a heavy wooden dining room chair that far.

I was horrified of what could have happened to him. I immediately put up a baby gate to block the kitchen and started to only use the back burners (as well as waiting until my husband was home to take a shower).

My son was only 24 months at the time, by age three he could get into far more mischief if not closely supervised.
Thank goodness your son was not injured that day!

At age 3 my son was making his own breakfast. Kids are far more capable than many people give them credit for!

Old 10-19-2013, 10:14 AM

938 posts, read 1,228,333 times
Default Okay Lets believe for a minute

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Thank goodness your son was not injured that day!

At age 3 my son was making his own breakfast. Kids are far more capable than many people give them credit for!
The children are hungry. Hunger creates ingenuity. A 3 year old drags the chair to the refrigerator then places a stool atop the chair then grabs the bread - gets down from these 2 flights he created and takes the bread to a bedroom where his 1.5 year old sibling joins him in a bread feast. Oh and while the parents are not paying attention one day the child eats his "Southern" fried chicken and takes a bite out of mommy and daddy's. Pretty Novel. Gepetto needs a couple talented kids maybe we have found the one's. Sorry still no sale. How about a picture parents place a chair at refrigerator and a stool atop snaps and shares it with us.

Old 10-19-2013, 10:15 AM

6,727 posts, read 9,949,659 times
My three boys, less than three years apart, didn't steal food, but they were "always" hungry. I reached a point where I realized that despite the amount of food I cooked, they would only scarf down a small plateful and ask to be excused, especially in the Summer or when it was snowing.

I decided that they would NOT be excused until I had finished eating and had a cup of coffee. Since they couldn't go anywhere, they began asking for seconds while being forced to stay at table. The rule was: you may have more but it must be more of everything. Want another chop? Have it with a spoonful of mashed potatoes and a bit of corn. And it worked.

Dessert was served every night but not until they were showered and in pajamas. And it came about that they stopped being "always" hungry and developed the knack of eating until they were full.

Old 10-19-2013, 01:49 PM

1,248 posts, read 2,166,212 times
I have been following this thread, and I would be interested to hear from the OP what changes he had made and how they are working.

Old 10-19-2013, 02:14 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,946,717 times
Quote:
The children are hungry. Hunger creates ingenuity. A 3 year old drags the chair to the refrigerator then places a stool atop the chair then grabs the bread - gets down from these 2 flights he created and takes the bread to a bedroom where his 1.5 year old sibling joins him in a bread feast. Oh and while the parents are not paying attention one day the child eats his "Southern" fried chicken and takes a bite out of mommy and daddy's. Pretty Novel. Gepetto needs a couple talented kids maybe we have found the one's. Sorry still no sale. How about a picture parents place a chair at refrigerator and a stool atop snaps and shares it with us.
Sometimes, one's narrow experience isn't true for all. I do have a picture of my barely 2 yr old, sitting on the kitchen counter, proudly mixing up his version of "breakfast", that he prepared while the rest of the household was still sleeping. If I recall correctly, ground coffee, chocolate syrup, and Goldfish crackers were involved. Many toddlers are adept at climbing.

Old 10-19-2013, 02:33 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,166,395 times
The average 3-year old who eats 6 cinnabons is going to make himself sick. The OP makes no mention of a kid with a belly ache. Something doesn't add up.

My first guess is, if the OP lives in the projects, the cinnabon stealer is giving the cinnabons to.... someone. Like the neighbors. BTW: Cinnabons when you live on a budget? And candy? Those things are nothing but empty, unhealthy calories and a total waste of money that should be used to buy healthy, nutritious food.

LOTS of people on this board have been/are poor and on budgets. Been there, done that. Cinnabons weren't even on our radar when we were young, working, going to school and broke. That surprised me more than the food stealing.

Old 10-19-2013, 02:45 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,893,031 times
Perhaps they were day-old Cinnabons? My local store does cut prices in half for such treats...but otherwise, I agree that they should remain treats, not a regularly purchased item if funds are short.

I suppose it's possible that "Cinnabons" was used as a generic term for cinnamon buns in a can - poppin' fresh style, or even sweet rolls from a day-old bread place. That would be much less costly, particularly if an off-brand was purchased. They do come six in a can, if memory serves me correctly (it's been a while since I've indulged - in this, at least!).

I, too, would welcome an update from the OP.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting