Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2013, 08:30 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,078,069 times

Advertisements

For our daughter's 30th Birthday we sent a very expensive fresh flower arrangement to her office on Thursday- her actual birthday. Then we find out she had decided to take Thursday and Friday off just to run some errands and enjoy some extra time off. I told her on the phone about the flowers and suggested she run by her office to pick the flowers up so she could enjoy them over the weekend. She lives very close to work. She declined. that hurt my feelings right there.

So today she sends us a picture of the flowers and says "One of my friends decided to take them home with her cause she was having a dinner party and she brought them back today cause they are still pretty". It is obvious some of the flowers had been removed as it was not the really large arrangement we picked from a picture.

I'm ticked at her for not taking the time to pick them up but even more cause she was insensitive enough to tell us somebody else enjoyed them over the weekend. And of course how anybody could think they were entitled to take a gift home with them to enjoy when the recipient was not there REALLY ticks me off.

We did not spend close to $100 for her friend to enjoy flowers.
I feel like sending her an e mail which says "I'm glad somebody got to enjoy your birthday flowers. Would your friend be interesting in contributing to the cost of your gift?" But of course I won't.

Old 09-30-2013, 08:40 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,187,604 times
I guess when you give a GIFT you cannot not nor should you be making someone go out of THEIR way to receive it.

Old 09-30-2013, 08:42 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,935,627 times
Well, you can't help how you feel, but remember a gift is a GIFT.

Even though its not supposed to be about you, you are disappointed because your daughter did not return the proper amount of appreciation to you.

YES, it's weird that someone else took them home. But your daughter obviously didn't think so since she was honest about it.

DROP IT. DO NOT send that email or you will end up on passive-aggressive notes.com.

Go back and read your CD status again.

Old 09-30-2013, 08:44 AM

15,713 posts, read 9,521,031 times
From your own status, you wrote --
Quote:
Status: "Our worth is not defined by the approval of others."
Yes, you're over reacting.

Old 09-30-2013, 08:51 AM

1,026 posts, read 1,192,706 times
I would have taken the time to go by work and pick up flowers that someone had thoughtfully sent to me, but I don't expect everyone to be like me. Perhaps she has a valid reason for not going by her office. Maybe she told them she was unavailable during the day and it would be awkward to stop by. Maybe she would have been asked to do something or to work while she was there.

I don't see anything wrong with her coworker taking them home and bringing them back unless she did so without asking your daughter first. I would be glad that they did not sit in an empty office to wilt. Perhaps the arrangement was smaller because she removed dead or dying flowers.

Do you know why your daughter didn't go back for the flowers?

Old 09-30-2013, 09:07 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,172,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post

We did not spend close to $100 for her friend to enjoy flowers.
At least someone enjoyed them. Personally, it wouldn't have bothered me if a friend took them home for the weekend. Friends do that sort of thing.

Your daughter chose not to go get them so she could enjoy them at home. So the friend enjoyed them. And brought them back. Yes. You're overreacting. (Sending flowers is always iffy. I used to send flowers but stopped. Several years ago I sent flowers to a friend. They were left on her front door step which isn't visible from the street. The friend goes into the house through the garage. The flowers sat, unnoticed, on the front door step for a week. Lesson learned. Send gift card.)

Old 09-30-2013, 09:13 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,455,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raindrop101 View Post
I would have taken the time to go by work and pick up flowers that someone had thoughtfully sent to me, but I don't expect everyone to be like me. Perhaps she has a valid reason for not going by her office. Maybe she told them she was unavailable during the day and it would be awkward to stop by. Maybe she would have been asked to do something or to work while she was there.

I don't see anything wrong with her coworker taking them home and bringing them back unless she did so without asking your daughter first. I would be glad that they did not sit in an empty office to wilt. Perhaps the arrangement was smaller because she removed dead or dying flowers.
Yep this. All of it.

Old 09-30-2013, 09:16 AM

22,591 posts, read 47,660,494 times
You are very much overreacting.

GIFTS don't have strings and conditions on them.

Oh, and this part of the OP " It is obvious some of the flowers had been removed as it was not the really large arrangement we picked from a picture."
Probably not as obvious as you think. Actual arrangements rarely look like the website photo.

Old 09-30-2013, 09:42 AM

6,497 posts, read 11,814,317 times
I certainly wouldn't want to go to work to pick up a gift on a day I schedule to be away from.

Old 09-30-2013, 09:53 AM

1,961 posts, read 4,384,622 times
I have to agree with others, you cannot dictate how someone chooses to receive a gift. Ideally, the recipient will love your gift, and thank you appropriately.

I am sorry you are hurt by this. Its obvious you wanted to do something special for your daughter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.