Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2013, 09:00 AM

2,776 posts, read 3,086,159 times

Advertisements

I, often, solicit advice from City-Data forums due to the diverse population.
Please, help as I am frustrated.

I have two teenagers under my roof and I am a single mom. Both children share the same father, this "father" cannot be bothered to be involved. They get an occasional card phone call, etc.

Both children, teens, have complained, vehemently, that I do not spend enough time with them. Yes, I have a boyfriend and I do spend time with the boyfriend.

HOWEVER, my teens have an awful habit of staying up all night, and virtually, sleeping all day. Right now, today, I have awoken at 7 a.m only to find they are sleeping.

I have told them, numerous, times I am awake, we can go to Tractor Supply, go for a hike etc yet they are still sleeping.

I realize guilt has played a large role in their interactions with me. I just don't know what to do!!!

P.S 19 y.o just woke up at 11:00 a.m and has a backpack ready for our hike.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2013, 09:28 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,430,636 times
I am confused.

Are you expecting your teens to be up at 7 AM on a Saturday morning to do things with you?
Are they "night owls" and are you a "morning person"?

When you say that they "sleep all day", what time do you mean? 10 AM or Noon or 3 PM?
Are they awake and on time for school every day (which I suspect starts at 7 -8 AM)?
What have they said that they wanted you to do with them? Go to their school sporting events? Go shopping? Play board games? Cook meals together? Have they asked for specific activities?

How many hours a week do you spend with your boyfriend? Is it every night from 6 PM to 10 PM or just one or two nights a week?

How old is your other teen? Is your 19 year old in HS, college or working?

Please respond back and I can give you some suggestions. If I had more details I could help you better.

Old 09-28-2013, 09:42 AM

4,009 posts, read 6,920,071 times
My son is a looong way off being a teenager so my advice is limited in that regard... However, something that stands out at me from your post is the 'typical' teenage sleeping patterns. Not only do teenagers need a lot more sleep than adults (hence the sleeping in), but their internal body clock goes haywire during this period, and often they won't be tired until midnight or later (hence the late nights).

With this much said, you need to try and come up with time for activities that will work for both you and your sons' schedules. Respect the fact that they need more sleep right now than an adult, and see if you can come to a happy medium

Good luck!

Old 09-28-2013, 09:50 AM

45,217 posts, read 101,275,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlowerPower00 View Post
I, often, solicit advice from City-Data forums due to the diverse population.
Please, help as I am frustrated.

I have two teenagers under my roof and I am a single mom. Both children share the same father, this "father" cannot be bothered to be involved. They get an occasional card phone call, etc.

Both children, teens, have complained, vehemently, that I do not spend enough time with them. Yes, I have a boyfriend and I do spend time with the boyfriend.

HOWEVER, my teens have an awful habit of staying up all night, and virtually, sleeping all day. Right now, today, I have awoken at 7 a.m only to find they are sleeping.

I have told them, numerous, times I am awake, we can go to Tractor Supply, go for a hike etc yet they are still sleeping.

I realize guilt has played a large role in their interactions with me. I just don't know what to do!!!

P.S 19 y.o just woke up at 11:00 a.m and has a backpack ready for our hike.

Aren't these teens in school or working fulltime? Why would they get to stay up all night, sleep all day and do nothing but play video games?

Old 09-28-2013, 09:52 AM

And also, 11:00 AM on a Saturday is hardly "late" for getting out together to take a hike. Not sure why you would complain when the kid was obviously willing to go, just not as early as you would have liked maybe.

Old 09-28-2013, 09:55 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,430,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Aren't these teens in school or working fulltime? Why would they get to stay up all night, sleep all day and do nothing but play video games?
Unless I missed it, the original poster didn't say that her teens aren't in school or working and she said nothing about them "doing nothing but play video games".

Old 09-28-2013, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
Unless I missed it, the original poster didn't say that her teens aren't in school or working and she said nothing about them "doing nothing but play video games".
My bad

I just can't imagine teen boys staying up all night and sleeping all day UNLESS they are glued to a video/computer game!

Old 09-28-2013, 10:00 AM

Quote:
I am confused.

Are you expecting your teens to be up at 7 AM on a Saturday morning to do things with you?
Are they "night owls" and are you a "morning person"?

When you say that they "sleep all day", what time do you mean? 10 AM or Noon or 3 PM?
Are they awake and on time for school every day (which I suspect starts at 7 -8 AM)?
What have they said that they wanted you to do with them? Go to their school sporting events? Go shopping? Play board games? Cook meals together? Have they asked for specific activities?

How many hours a week do you spend with your boyfriend? Is it every night from 6 PM to 10 PM or just one or two nights a week?

How old is your other teen? Is your 19 year old in HS, college or working?

Please respond back and I can give you some suggestions. If I had more details I could help you better.
Clearly we need more info here.

Hopefully the OP returns shortly to fill in the blanks, as what she has written is a bit confusing

Old 09-28-2013, 10:09 AM

6,497 posts, read 11,883,667 times
The teens are keeping a normal, typical sleep pattern. So is mom. So, mom, I suggest you let them know when YOU are available, and let them sync their schedules with yours. This way, you give them the power to say yes/no. Then you get to complain to them!

Old 09-28-2013, 10:10 AM

2,776 posts, read 3,086,159 times
Quote:
My 19 y.o just graduated. He DOES play video games an awful lot. I am taking the cord to his XBox or whatever that is for three weeks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting