Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2013, 03:56 AM

4,749 posts, read 4,325,798 times

Advertisements

My brother wants to be an NFL player (defense) and his back-up plan is to be a plumber.

I always wanted to be a teacher, but I'm studying to be a speech-language pathologist (speech therapist). But I'd also like to add that when I was younger, I wanted to be a grocery store cashier.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2013, 05:18 AM

1,339 posts, read 3,468,449 times
My 7-yr old is still evaluating multiple career options!! :-) He would always rotate between the few that he had (astronaut, explorer, research scientist, inventor, etc.) but now that he has started learning/understanding the concept of money/savings/etc; he's looking at the financial implications of a career as well! Go figure!!!!

And all I ever wanted to be was a latex salesman! :-)

Old 08-08-2013, 06:04 AM

2,794 posts, read 2,935,581 times
Cowboy-Astronaut-Doctor-Lawyer-Major League Baseball Playing Millionaire.....

REACH FOR THE STAAAAAAAARS!

Old 08-08-2013, 08:42 AM

3,493 posts, read 4,675,297 times
I wavered on this all throughout my childhood..and, really, I still have no idea what I'm going to do when I 'grow up'. I figure at 23 I should be growing up soon though...so I'm excited for it.

Up until I was 10 I wanted to be an NBA player.
Throughout my teenage years I wanted to be a doctor, and an engineer at one point (really liked physics...)
At 21 I just wanted to finish school.
And at 23 I just want to get started on a career...any career really, lol.

Word to the wise...don't major in phil. Just don't, trust me.

None of my siblings (all of them younger than me) had any real direction either. My now 16 year old sister has wanted to be an architect for a couple years, though. My 20 year old sister studies anthropology (possibly a worse track than mine...) and my brother has always just said he'll be rich, what he does for it isn't as important. I imagine he'll be an accountant (good with numbers) and go on to work for corporate America.

My favorite though is my little cousin (who isn't so little anymore, I guess) who always wanted to be a butcher. I've never heard of another 6 year old girl wanting to be a butcher...but really, why not?

Old 08-08-2013, 10:52 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,857,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dub dub II View Post

My favorite though is my little cousin (who isn't so little anymore, I guess) who always wanted to be a butcher. I've never heard of another 6 year old girl wanting to be a butcher...but really, why not?

Never let her watch Dexter.

Old 08-08-2013, 04:40 PM

4,829 posts, read 8,732,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aliss2 View Post

Mine wants to be a penguin I'm sure that will change without my influence.
ROFL!!! I wanted to be a tiger!

Old 08-08-2013, 04:46 PM

4,829 posts, read 8,732,560 times
When I was little (aside from being a tiger), I wanted to be: An astronaut (or to work in NASA in some capacity). I also wanted to work in politics - possibly being a Congresswoman. I was also interested in working with animals (big cats or oceanographer) and in being a photographer.

Unfortunately, this was in the 1960s and most girls were (including and especially myself) encouraged to be a school teacher (NO) or a nurse (HELLS NO) or a Mommy (NO). I was not only not encouraged to pursue my dreams, but I was actually DIScouraged and told that I was crazy and that I would never be able to do any of that stuff. Sadly, I had absolutely NO strong female role models and gave up on any dreams I had before I was a teenager.

My daughter (who is 15) has been interested in performing since she was very young. She liked acting and singing and dance but now she is concentrating on dance. She wants to be a dancer on Broadway and also have a dance studio and do choreography. She is also interested in graphic design.

Old 08-08-2013, 08:37 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,736,042 times
When I was a kid, I really had no clue what I wanted to be when I grew up because for one I dreaded the thought of growing up, I wanted to stay a kid. When I got to college I had to pick a major so I took a vocational aptitude test and decided to just go with the top result for the meantime until I could come up with something.

I'm still not all the way sure and I've moved into another career for now.

What I tell my kids is to get into something that allows them to support themselves but then start looking at other jobs they might like to do because the world is changing fast and some careers become non-existent or you may tire of them. They should always stay flexible and be able to do more than one thing.

Old 08-08-2013, 09:06 PM

59 posts, read 98,692 times
When I was little I wanted to be a long haul trucker. I loved the idea of a life on the road, never being tied down to anyone or anything. Figured I'd hang out at the truck stops and eat whatever I wanted, talk to my trucker friends on our CBs, drive all night and maybe sleep a few hours in the cab, change my name every different town I stopped in. I'd own a little house and an El Camino somewhere, but mostly I'd just drive.

Old 08-11-2013, 06:13 PM

49 posts, read 163,001 times
When I was real little, like 3-6, I wanted to be a computer scientist, because that is what my dad is. Then when I was about 8, I decided I wanted to be a veterinarian, and that was a dream I held all the way up until I was 16, which was when I went to Taiwan as a foreign exchange student, and after that experience I really wanted to go into international business. I was actually all set to do so, but the Great Recession hit, and business graduates were complaining about not being able to find work, so I changed my major to IT.

I just graduated with my MS degree and started a career as a network engineer for a fortune 100 company...so I guess you can say my dreams have come full circle! I'm doing what I wanted to be doing when I was 3 years old. :P
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting