Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-09-2007, 04:38 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,609,273 times

Advertisements

LONDON, England (AP) -- Parents may worry less about losing their child -- and the kid's expensive coat -- with a new piece of winter wear that includes a global positioning tracker.

The jackets, released this week by the British clothing company Bladerunner, have a GPS tracking device in the lining. The device can track the jacket anywhere in the world, within 43 square feet.

"The jacket is not something that was released due to people losing their kids," said Adrian Davis, a partner at Bladerunner. "It was originally made for mountain climbers, skiers and snowboarders."

Jacket includes GPS tracker - CNN.com (http://www.cnn.com/2007/TECH/ptech/10/25/gps.jacket.ap/index.html - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2007, 04:47 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,443,393 times
Here in the states they have athletic shoes and a watch that will do the same thing. I love this idea, not because I think my daughter (at this age anyway) will do something they shouldn't but I worry about her being grabbed.

You can go one further when your kid starts driving (the thought scares me to death) put such a device on their car. They make devices that will log where they have been AND the speeds they are driving at. It could be the difference in life and death. Once your teenager is out of your sight, the fact their brain is not engaged yet could be what costs them their life.

Old 11-10-2007, 11:24 AM

18,700 posts, read 42,069,971 times
My big question is. Do you have a need for it?

I brought my kids up in a town that the worst crime was a kid blowing up a mail box. We've had 2 murders in 4 years. No rapes, one guy last year thought he'd be funny and robbed the video store. Didn't work out. We had him in cuffs and stuffed 20 minutes later. haha

Old 11-10-2007, 11:27 AM

18,700 posts, read 42,069,971 times
I guess my big thing is.... If I have to track my son or daughter with a GPS. Did I knot teach them any values? What's this world coming to?????

Teach them right from wrong and then, make them follow up.

Old 11-16-2007, 02:45 AM

10,757 posts, read 35,443,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgussler View Post
I guess my big thing is.... If I have to track my son or daughter with a GPS. Did I knot teach them any values? What's this world coming to?????

I don't know how it is where you live but I am LESS concerned about my child doing something wrong and MORE concerned about some idiot whack job grabbing here. If someone grabs her, how do I find her before he rapes her, tortures her and kills her. AND before you say something about me being a worry wort, I live in Florida where some of the most notorious cases of child kidnap and rape have been happening. I can think of three right off the top of my head. Luckily we also have the death penalty and some of these people are going to meet their maker courtesy of the State of Florida.

Old 11-16-2007, 03:06 AM

2,115 posts, read 7,088,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgussler View Post

You're way off track here. It's an issue of safety, as indicated in the article. Did you not read it?

Sara

Old 11-18-2007, 08:13 PM

6 posts, read 16,286 times
Default Consider this...

Consider this as another way of looking at this technology... imagine you have a Autism or another developmental disability and they wander away from the class during a school field trip at the museum or he/she makes it out the back door while you are putting away laundry. You don't have to be a neglectful parent to have a developmentally delayed child to wander off all you need is to be out of their sight for the length of time it takes you to use the restroom or switch clothes from the washer into the dryer. No, it doesn't matter that you have your doors locked - they've figured them out. :-) I'm sure that there are caregivers to Alzheimer's patients who wish that they have something similar for their special loved one. Just another way of looking at this...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting