Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2013, 03:44 PM

251 posts, read 523,462 times

Advertisements

The world has enough over committed kids whose parents are overcompensating for their own lack of interest by involving their little darlings in every single activity they can. This obsession with making more money and even women who prefer NOT to be home with their children is baffling.

Why have kids if you're going to hire someone else to raise them? Why don't these families learn how to live comfortably on Dad's income? And really significant: why don't these fathers get jobs that can support their family the way they want to? No excuse for those guys. Get the education, or the motivation to earn the kind of money you want. How do you women feel being married / shacking up with a guy who can't adequately support his family?

The old line that you "need" two incomes is B/S. You do not. You "need" the double income to fulfill wants, but not needs. So, you choose to hire out the raising of your most precious asset; your own kids. Far more pathetic are the women who could afford to actually raise their own kids, but choose not to in order to fulfill their personal needs. They don't feel enough ego feed staying at home, and rely on external things to give them the illusion of success, importance, worth, etc.

1. Don't bother having kids unless you're going to be 100% committed to them. (kids don't understand "quality time", when they need you, they need you then...)
2. Men; be real men. Be the head of your household. Do what it takes to make the amount of money it takes to afford your family's wants & needs. Of course it takes hard work, real motivation, education, training, etc. Be a man, deal with it and properly SUPPORT your family.

Old 07-13-2013, 04:00 PM

861 posts, read 2,721,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by automobilist View Post
The world has enough over committed kids whose parents are overcompensating for their own lack of interest by involving their little darlings in every single activity they can. This obsession with making more money and even women who prefer NOT to be home with their children is baffling.

Why have kids if you're going to hire someone else to raise them? Why don't these families learn how to live comfortably on Dad's income? And really significant: why don't these fathers get jobs that can support their family the way they want to? No excuse for those guys. Get the education, or the motivation to earn the kind of money you want. How do you women feel being married / shacking up with a guy who can't adequately support his family?

The old line that you "need" two incomes is B/S. You do not. You "need" the double income to fulfill wants, but not needs. So, you choose to hire out the raising of your most precious asset; your own kids. Far more pathetic are the women who could afford to actually raise their own kids, but choose not to in order to fulfill their personal needs. They don't feel enough ego feed staying at home, and rely on external things to give them the illusion of success, importance, worth, etc.

1. Don't bother having kids unless you're going to be 100% committed to them. (kids don't understand "quality time", when they need you, they need you then...)
2. Men; be real men. Be the head of your household. Do what it takes to make the amount of money it takes to afford your family's wants & needs. Of course it takes hard work, real motivation, education, training, etc. Be a man, deal with it and properly SUPPORT your family.
Just because a child attends daycare doesn't mean that day care "raises them".....

Old 07-13-2013, 04:10 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,219,611 times
Quote:

I don't know why you are under the impression that you know what is adequate for one family to the next. You are nobody to judge. As a new mom this forum never falters in showing me the kind of parent and person I do not want to be.

Old 07-13-2013, 04:53 PM

3,070 posts, read 5,239,284 times
Quote:
This obsession with making more money and even women who prefer NOT to be home with their children is baffling.
Have you ever been a SAHM? You know what... it's actually quite boring, sorry. I am one right now. How many years in a row do you want to spend changing diapers all day and not even be allowed to sit down in peace with a coffee and think for 15 minutes. Bah. I can't wait to go back to work when my kids go to school.

Oh, and I was in daycare from a young age. Funny, I don't remember any of it. I just remember my MOM!

Old 07-13-2013, 05:52 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,409,754 times
I worked, and never felt like my kids were short changed, as a matter of fact, they had more opportunities because of a double income family. They are well travelled, visited many states, often went with me or their Dad on business trips. My daughter is more self reliant and independent. She learned how to make dinner, I often came home, and she had fixed dinner, by age 12.she often tells me stories of her friends with SAHM, who even at age 18, have no clue how to do their own laundry.

I will admit, sometimes I let cleaning slide, to do activities on the weekends. Big deal. I told the kids, we can go to the zoo, or I stay home and vacuum, they agreed to do chores after school, so I could go out on weekends.

I don't think my kids suffered. They went to an excellent summer program, with a variety of activities, basketball camp, swimming lessons, it was more expensive, but worth it.

Old 07-14-2013, 09:19 AM

501 posts, read 935,072 times
Quote:
The old line that you "need" two incomes is B/S. You do not. Why don't these families learn how to live comfortably on Dad's income?
I really don't want to turn this into a debate, but this statement is not true in many parts of the country where the cost of housing is higher. In the part of the country where I am, it essentially requires 2 incomes in order to buy a single family home. Sure I could choose to live in an apartment or a small condo, but I'd rather raise a family in a single family home and use daycare services rather than live in an apartment with a stay at home spouse.

Also,I personally feel my kids get a better, broader, and wider experience at the daycare than they would at home. I would have never thought of doing many of the fun and exciting activities that they've done there, and the kids are getting a chance to learn how to play with each other at a young age. I'm very comfortable with them having her in the day and us having her in the evening.

Old 07-14-2013, 11:18 AM

2,232 posts, read 3,379,130 times
Going back to your original post - she's too young right now for the programs your talking about. If she's interested in taking them later on, you may be able to find a 1/2 day summer camp program that has aftercare available. Lots of dual working parents in our area and basically all the programs have an aftercare option.

Old 07-14-2013, 11:33 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,206,723 times
I am sick and tired of all of this arguing. It has been going on for decades.

There can be wonderful, absolutely fabulous parents who both work and there can be crappy, dysfunctional, abusive parents who both work.

There can be wonderful, absolutely fabulous parents/families with a SAHM/SAHD or crappy, dysfunctional, abusive families with a SAHM/SAHD.

Great parents can raise great children whether they are living at the poverty level or earn a million dollars a year but also irresponsible, ignorant parents can do great harm to their children and it doesn't matter if they are at the poverty level or multi-millionaires.

Moderator Cut

End of rant.

Last edited by Jaded; 07-14-2013 at 11:18 PM.. Reason: Argumentative

Old 07-14-2013, 02:13 PM

501 posts, read 935,072 times
Quote:
Going back to your original post - she's too young right now for the programs your talking about. If she's interested in taking them later on, you may be able to find a 1/2 day summer camp program that has aftercare available. Lots of dual working parents in our area and basically all the programs have an aftercare option.
Thanks, that's really the information that I'm looking for. I'm not worried today, but want to be sure that we give her the right balance of activities when she is older.

Old 07-14-2013, 05:04 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,308,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
she didn't say anything about other households, she was responding about HER particular situation. You are the one saying what YOU feel is best for "a" child.
Yeh...so..what's your point?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting