Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-11-2013, 03:08 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,756,788 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missingatlanta View Post
You cannot conclude anything statistically valid from a public message board. Get real.
It is equivalent to an optional response survey. And I tell you that as a published researcher with more than a passing knowledge of statistics.

BTW, in science we don't "conclude" anything. We either reject or support. No concluding.

We might as well have a thread asking people to report their IQs, those tend to be significantly over reported in one category as well, even accounting for response bias.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2013, 03:18 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,215,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
Just pointing out a statistically interesting fact. There are roughly 20 posters in this thread. Nine of them claim to have skipped at least one grade. Another 4 claim to have been offered to skip a grade and another 2 have had the school offer to move their kids up. Additionally, 2 others claim their children are gifted.

Lets see, the truly gifted (those that should skip grades) account for roughly 2% of the population. Yet in here, a randomish subsample of the universe, it is 65%. If we count offers that goes up to 75%.

Since you are all "truly gifted" in here anyone want to calculate those odds?
What's the point here?

Old 07-11-2013, 03:25 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,985,357 times
I honestly wasn't aware that skipping grades was even an option for most kids. Don't your schools offer gifted education classes? I am in favor of expanding accelerated curriculum for those that qualify. I see no point in moving kids into groups above their maturity level. So, I guess my answer would be, no.

Old 07-11-2013, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
I honestly wasn't aware that skipping grades was even an option for most kids. Don't your schools offer gifted education classes? I am in favor of expanding accelerated curriculum for those that qualify. I see no point in moving kids into groups above their maturity level. So, I guess my answer would be, no.
Schools like acceleration because it is cheaper and easier to schedule than moving a class into just one or two advanced classes. Enrichment or gifted classes require a teacher to teach them and that costs money. Frequently the best option is placement with other gifted students in their same age group outside of the school. All the benefits of increased depth, challenging work, challenging peers, etc and less of the social and emotional maturity issues. Granted I am biased as I work at one of those schools but it works astoundingly well in our district.

Old 07-11-2013, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
What's the point here?
That even accounting for response bias the odds of 75% of the respondents in this thread being profoundly gifted is slim. Something on the order of T/p<0.05.

Old 07-11-2013, 03:51 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,985,357 times
Quote:
Schools like acceleration because it is cheaper and easier to schedule than moving a class into just one or two advanced classes. Enrichment or gifted classes require a teacher to teach them and that costs money. Frequently the best option is placement with other gifted students in their same age group outside of the school. All the benefits of increased depth, challenging work, challenging peers, etc and less of the social and emotional maturity issues. Granted I am biased as I work at one of those schools but it works astoundingly well in our district.
Is that nationwide? My kids attended school in NJ, FL and GA. The eldest was given a spot in a gifted group removed from his classmates in 6th grade (different school that required busing), and it was not a great experience, as he wanted to be with his friends. The accelerated curriculum the youngest was exposed to was much, much better. He graduated hs with 42 college credits, but didn't miss out on socializing with his age group.

I understand the cost benefit, but aren't gifted students also a protected group?

Old 07-11-2013, 04:04 PM

1,226 posts, read 2,375,123 times
Quote:
What's the point here?
the point they were making was that most of us are liars and weren't gifted or have gifted kids.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post

I understand the cost benefit, but aren't gifted students also a protected group?
They are in FL. Not sure about the others, but not in NC. We had an IEP in FL, but it was removed when we moved to NC. Oh, that is on my "pretend" gifted child that I make up to brag on anonymous online forums.

Quote:
It is equivalent to an optional response survey. And I tell you that as a published researcher with more than a passing knowledge of statistics.
Oh, ok. Well, on https://www.city-data.com/forum/cats/1885645-does-anyone-volunteer-here-your-local.html thread, amazingly, 11 out of 11 the respondents volunteer at their local pet rescue! Wow. So this "optional response survey" of a "randomish subsample of the universe" shows that the whole world volunteers at their local animal shelter, imagine their surprise when they hear the news that they no longer have a shortage of volunteers!

Old 07-11-2013, 04:25 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,215,291 times
Quote:
That even accounting for response bias the odds of 75% of the respondents in this thread being profoundly gifted is slim. Something on the order of T/p<0.05.
So, you're saying that people are fibbing? Perhaps, although I don't understand how response bias, or how to determine it here, accounts for the posts noting the experience. It's not just who goes to this forum, then this sub-forum, this thread, and then who chooses to respond. Are you using the number of times the thread or posts are viewed to come up with a calculation?

Old 07-11-2013, 05:27 PM

2,779 posts, read 5,506,023 times
Quote:
So, you're saying that people are fibbing? Perhaps, although I don't understand how response bias, or how to determine it here, accounts for the posts noting the experience. It's not just who goes to this forum, then this sub-forum, this thread, and then who chooses to respond. Are you using the number of times the thread or posts are viewed to come up with a calculation?
I didn't respond that I had skipped a grade and I actually did...for three months and then I went back, the math was too hard. I don't think that counts But I did talk about my gifted kid, who is in fact gifted. He's also socially immature and awkward and has an adhd diagnosis so not really all that high on the "mompetitor" scale

Old 07-11-2013, 05:46 PM

25,994 posts, read 22,187,436 times
Quote:
Just pointing out a statistically interesting fact. There are roughly 20 posters in this thread. Nine of them claim to have skipped at least one grade. Another 4 claim to have been offered to skip a grade and another 2 have had the school offer to move their kids up. Additionally, 2 others claim their children are gifted.

Lets see, the truly gifted (those that should skip grades) account for roughly 2% of the population. Yet in here, a randomish subsample of the universe, it is 65%. If we count offers that goes up to 75%.

Since you are all "truly gifted" in here anyone want to calculate those odds?
I was a straight A student that didn't have to study and I had no interest in skipping a grade when it was offered as a solution to my boredom. My boredom was with the institution not the subject matter. Skated the rest of the way through school. Run your stats on that. Appears the intent of your post to claim some of the posters are not telling the truth.

Keep in mind that the thread would most likely attract people who had or had offered a skip and that you are talking about numerous years, mine over 40 years ago. Also, "gifted" is not necessarily the ones that are offered a skip in grades. They didn't even have that category 40 years ago. I could remember the material and take a test about something I knew nothing about and do well. I sure considered it a "gift" that I didn't have to study!

School was such a waste of time. The only thing of value beyond reading, writing and arithmetic was typing class. The rest? I have no idea. What a waste of some of the best years of my life!

Last edited by AnywhereElse; 07-11-2013 at 05:54 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting