Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2013, 01:08 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,917,791 times

Advertisements

In my van, my 7 year old uses a convertible seat with the harness removed. She likes the arm rests and the way it has sides so she can nap without tipping over. In my husband's truck, she uses a backless booster seat because the convertible seat kept falling over when we'd turn a corner, even though the seat was properly installed. She says it's a lot easier to buckle her seatbelt with the booster seat, but it's not as comfortable as her other seat in the van.

She's turning 8 next month so legally she won't have to use a booster seat, but she's only 3'9" so she will be using the booster seat for a few more years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2013, 01:25 PM

1,295 posts, read 1,350,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
In my van, my 7 year old uses a convertible seat with the harness removed. She likes the arm rests and the way it has sides so she can nap without tipping over. In my husband's truck, she uses a backless booster seat because the convertible seat kept falling over when we'd turn a corner, even though the seat was properly installed. She says it's a lot easier to buckle her seatbelt with the booster seat, but it's not as comfortable as her other seat in the van.

She's turning 8 next month so legally she won't have to use a booster seat, but she's only 3'9" so she will be using the booster seat for a few more years.

This is why the laws for this are not really working. Kids come in all different sizes at age 8. Some grow out of the seats way earlier, and some are small and still need the seats...not all parents will keep them in the seats though, citing the law.

Old 07-03-2013, 04:38 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,909,832 times
The video above is convincing me to keep the car seats we have. We have twins and I've had to buckle them both in & unbuckle out myself every single day and while it's a pain, I have accepted that it's part of getting into and out of the car.

I think we'll get booster seats for my wife's car for the rare occasion we drive it together. Moving these car seats with the latches is such a headache.

Old 07-03-2013, 04:50 PM

1,711 posts, read 3,605,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rh71 View Post

I think we'll get booster seats for my wife's car for the rare occasion we drive it together. Moving these car seats with the latches is such a headache.
Don't forget to look in your car's and car seat's instruction booklets, LATCH might only be rated for 40 pounds even though the car seat could be rated for a higher weight. After your child exceeds the weight allowed for LATCH, you need to use the seatbelt method of installing the carseat. It won't reduce the safety of the seat, it will just be different. Also, you shouldn't use both LATCH and seatbelt methods in conjunction with one another because the stresses on the carseat isn't tested like that in a crash.

That being said, we moved DD to a highbacked booster when she was 5ish. She was ready for it maturity, height, and age wise. We kept her in the booster until she was 4'9".

Old 07-04-2013, 04:56 AM

861 posts, read 2,721,469 times
For anyone still exploring the OP'er's or related questions, this website is excellent, I swear by it for car seat questions! The Car Seat Lady

Old 07-05-2013, 11:10 AM

2,825 posts, read 6,933,509 times
Also, car-seat.org has great forums where you can ask any kind of carseat question and get responses by people trained in carseat stuff. These people know everything. It's where I always go with my questions on this topic.

Old 07-06-2013, 11:52 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,220,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rh71 View Post
We've had the Britax Marathon Classic since they could do rear-facing and the specs on it say it goes up to 65lbs. At 5 years old, they aren't even 40lbs yet. In considering a gift, I came across booster seats that seem to be the same except it's missing the bottom base (ie. Harmony - Dreamtime Deluxe Comfort Booster Car Seat, Silver: Car Seats : Walmart.com). And of course you can remove the back as well. But what's the point when: 1) it gives the child a lower seating position (can't see out the window as well), 2) it has no apparent safety benefits for a small child, and 3) it's also going to take up the whole seat regardless. Honest questions - just trying to understand how it would benefit us if we switched to a booster. Maybe it's for 8+ year olds who get too big? But then aren't they legally allowed to sit in a regular seat and perfectly safe with a shoulder belt already? That leaves me with maybe portability?
The point of a booster is to boost them up so the seat belt hits them in the right place. That is the safety benefit. When my kids were younger I had these seemingly perfect car seats that converted to boosters and went up to 40 (?) lbs. What I didn't know at the time is that car seats expire. I believe they have a 5 year expiration. The seats expired before they reached the weight limit. Keep them in a 5 point harness as long as you can. It is safer. If your current seats are older than 5 years, consider moving on to a booster. They'll need that until they're at least 8 by law in most states. Longer if they are short.

Old 07-07-2013, 08:27 PM

141 posts, read 426,903 times
My daughter has been in a booster seat for probably 2 years now. She is 6 1/2 but she has always been tall for her age. She is over 4ft tall and mostly legs. She still sits in the back seat of my van but if she rides in her father's truck she rides with the airbag turned off. I have wondered how long she will need the booster seat. The seat belt is still a little high on her when she is out of the booster so I will probably use it till she gets to be a little taller.

I agree with some of you, all kids grow at different rates so what might work for one 3 year old may not work for another. Read all of the information on your child's seat and go from there. When we had questions, we would either ask her pediatrician or law enforcement( they can at least tell you the laws in your state).

I will do everything I can to keep my daughter safe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting