Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2013, 12:19 PM

6,418 posts, read 7,249,167 times

Advertisements

How do you know when they're ready and how do you go about doing it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2013, 12:55 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,913,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natsku View Post
How do you know when they're ready and how do you go about doing it?
Babycenter has a good list of the signs

Potty training readiness checklist | BabyCenter

As for how to do it, there are a lot of possibilities.
I think that going without bottoms at home first helps the child to understand when s/he needs to go. That may be a problem in terms of cleaning up, but usually that only lasts a little while.

I also like this video (a bit expensive, but intended to help parents of older special needs children and really good for kids who are visual). It has a parent part as well as the child's part.

http://shop.service.sa.gov.au/site/p...fm&mode=search

Old 06-29-2013, 01:07 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,855,270 times
When they tell you they pooped and really did. When they freak for their diaper to go in. In underwear they feel that gross fealing of going in their pants.

From my experience its to evualate the maturity of the child. Girls have been trained young as 1 1/2. Boys old as 3.

Old 06-29-2013, 01:43 PM

12,420 posts, read 3,231,835 times
It seems that everyone is in such a rush to do this. It should be natural---when they are ready. Don't push it and get stressed out. My daughter was ready just before she turned 3. One day she just decided to do it and never had an accident. It was great.

Old 06-29-2013, 03:48 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,935,627 times
My third child trained when he was 18 months. I didn't rush him. He was ready. He had older brothers and so had built-in role models, but I think parents have to be ready as well to recognize certain behaviors and stop relying on the convenience of diapers for the younger kids when you have older kids who have places to go.

In the case of my youngest, he did have a regular eating/sleeping schedule, which really helps.

I noticed that when he was playing after breakfast, he would suddenly get up, hide behind a certain chair, and poop his diaper. So one day I asked him if he wanted to poop in the potty and he said yes.

After that, we did the "Potty train your kid in a day" method where you use a baby doll that wets and have them use the potty, then let your child run around the house all day without pants as described above, etc.

We didn't really use the potty chair. We just propped him up on the toilet.

Old 06-29-2013, 04:19 PM

6,418 posts, read 7,249,167 times
Hmm going by that readiness check list my daughter is definitely not ready. She's nearly two and a half and I was hoping to get it done this summer when its warm enough to go without bottoms on but she still won't go anywhere near the potty. Not sure if she knows when she is going to go poop but she does tell me afterwards and asks me to change the nappy (unless she's really distracted, then she doesn't seem to notice)

Old 06-29-2013, 04:27 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,855,270 times
Just put her on the potty for a bit with a schedule of times during the day. She doesn't have to go. She can throw paper in and flush. Let her just get used to it. One day she will shock you. Good luck.

Old 06-29-2013, 08:40 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,935,627 times
When you are training them, you give them a LOT of water so they HAVE to go and feel the urgency. That helps speed the process.

When they are newly trained and you have to go out, you have to go cold turkey or they won't take responsibility for wetting their pants. I mean, if you BOTH know they are wearing a diaper, then you're both more relaxed about peeing in the diaper, which only delays the process.

You just teach them that potty stops are a natural part of being out in the world. Carefully monitor what they drink. This is why letting them walk around with free access to a sippy cup works against you.

When we would go out, I carried disinfectant wipes to clean public toilets, and I wouldn't let them drink too close to the time we left. I made them try to pee before we left, and asked them very regularly if they needed to go potty. You get to know where all the clean public toilets are, that's for sure!

Old 06-29-2013, 08:44 PM

685 posts, read 1,105,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raena77 View Post
When they tell you they pooped and really did. When they freak for their diaper to go in. In underwear they feel that gross fealing of going in their pants.

From my experience its to evualate the maturity of the child. Girls have been trained young as 1 1/2. Boys old as 3.
So if they hate getting their diaper changed, they are ready to be potty trained? My DD hates it now. I have to chase her around the house and sometimes hold her legs down to change her. But, this is with a poop filled diaper. It seems like she doesn't mind sitting in crap now, just hates a diaper being put on or taken off

Old 06-29-2013, 09:45 PM

247 posts, read 688,754 times
I potty trained my son when I was ready--not when he was ready. I was ready to be done with changing and washing diapers. We started when he was 20 months old, and just nighttime trained last month (roughly 10 months later).

To start training, I would put him on the potty first thing in the morning, right after meals/nap, and pretty much every hour or so during the day. We stayed home for the first few days. When I was brave enough to venture out I would have him try to use the bathroom once we got to where we were going, and then again before we left. He had a few accidents while out, but he had on Gerber training undies and we just cleaned up and kept going about our day.

As far as him having any "signs" that he was ready to go...nope. Now, he will dance a "little jhig", or sometimes hold his privates and it's obvious he needs to go. He will also tell me when he needs to go. I suppose I could have waited for his signs and kept him in diapers all this time, but I'm really glad I didn't.

Last edited by Jaded; 06-30-2013 at 12:41 AM.. Reason: Added correct word for poster due to auto-censor
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting