Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2006, 08:03 PM

8,942 posts, read 20,367,927 times

Advertisements

The wife and I grew in the 50's/60's watching Lassie, Rin Tin Tin, Father Know's Best, The Nelson's........no computers, no cable TV, no shows like Desperate Housewives, Dallas or Melrose Place and lower cost-of-living. Was it much easier raising kids back then....oh yes.
Hey, when my dad told me to do something, I did it....period. Respect was on my mind, plus, I knew I'd get the belt if I didn't show respect.
How would you handle it if your son (Student Class President) brought his new girlfriend over for supper and she was wearing a low-cut top, short skirt and her tongue was pierced?
How would you handle it if your very cute, "A" student daughter brought home a guy with his ear pierced, nose pierced, leather jacket on with his wallet connect to a chain?
Is raising kids today tough.........in our opinion, YES (and we don't even have kids)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2006, 08:27 PM

5,701 posts, read 24,158,830 times
Raising kids in today age can be a bit of trouble or frustrating. But the key to successful parenting is in developing proper values and respect early in child’s life. Our kids will be a reflection of ourselves, either good or bad.

Can you achieve a proper parenting today? Yes, is up to you.
Can the kids use computers? Yes, be part of the learning process with them.
Will they meet folks with piercing, leather jackets, etc? Yes, make them aware that the world is different outside the house.

Most of the time we think as parents, but we neglect to be friends with our children. Be both, they communicate better and honesty/sincerity will prevail.

Old 10-11-2006, 09:02 PM

421 posts, read 469,004 times
Parents don't have enough time to properly parent their kids. Latch key kids have at least an hour alone to do all sorts of bad things. I don't care what anyone says, mothering should be a full time thing...I am old schooled. The mother took care of the kids and house. Men were the bread winners.

Old 10-11-2006, 09:17 PM

23,015 posts, read 34,378,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAINBOWWAVES View Post
Parents don't have enough time to properly parent their kids. Latch key kids have at least an hour alone to do all sorts of bad things. I don't care what anyone says, mothering should be a full time thing...I am old schooled. The mother took care of the kids and house. Men were the bread winners.
I agree, sometimes it seems to me some parents don't even want to take the time to properly parent their kids.
I also think parents have a responsibility to teach their children manners, how to treat people, teach them right and wrong.
This is a scary time to be raising children, seems like there is so much negative influence out there.

Old 10-11-2006, 09:22 PM

5,701 posts, read 24,158,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAINBOWWAVES View Post
RAINBOWWAVES,

I do respect your opinion, but if we don’t make time for our kids, who will? Do we make our family the number one priority or second to something else?

Old 10-12-2006, 12:43 AM

892 posts, read 2,371,715 times
I think that if you don't have time for your kids then you should not be having kids. Make time! I only have 1 so far but even if I had 5 each one would have my attention at all times forever.
If my child brought home a tattooed pierced person I wouldn't care. It is on the inside that matters. I nor my husband are pierced and tattooed but I know alot of "good" people that are. My children will be raised well and when they hit those years they should be able to make good choices. If not, they will learn from their mistakes.

Old 10-12-2006, 02:53 AM

8,942 posts, read 20,367,927 times
The one MAJOR thing that I have always agreed with, is when the parent says, "while you are living under my roof, you will obey MY rules.......period!" While growing up on the farm, I was taught NOT to be so "open minded" about things. When I was in the Navy in So. Calif., I was really critized for that. I would tell everyone, "I don't have to accept everything/everybody and I can be choosy/judgemental about who I associate with. My wife feels the same way. Kids and their parents need to "choosy" in who their kids (or even themselves) make friends with. Making bad choices in friends can make bad things happen to kids in life.
When we take our boat to the lake, we see kids on a boat with their parents having loads of fun........now that is "family togetherness". You gotta love it!!

Old 10-12-2006, 08:17 AM

Location: Boonies of Georgia ~~~~ nuttier than a squirrel turd !
1,950 posts, read 5,159,513 times
Default Long post....sorry

We have a soon to be 17 year old son.He is an only child. The first 5 years of his life, we traveled the islands alot with my husbands company. Therefore not knowing anyone, he was with us wherever we went. He has always behaved around other people. I ALWAYS get compliments from his friends parents. AND THEN HE COMES HOME..... He is not a bad child, but he tends to push my buttons (as a normal teenager). I am thankful that he is very respectful.
I got spanked (whooped) as a child. Always feared my father to a great extent. When he bit his tongue, you knew it was all over. My husband was never spanked as a child.Therefore he does not believe in spankings. Of course a pat on the butt when he was little, but nothing more. I had to resort to taking things away. It worked for a while, and then it didn't bother him. Once when I got tired of him stamping into his room and slamming the door, I took the door away for about 3 months, then slapped a bow on it and gave it back for his birthday. That had the most impact on him out of all the punishments I could come up with. Then when he was around 11-12 I started making him do push-ups as punishment. It was great for a while because it hurt more the second day. BUT it did backfire on me. He got huge ! And can now pump out push-ups like nothing. Didn't see that one coming.
My husband has always told me "I am too strict" and my comeback is.. that is why our child is so good and not in trouble. An angel, he is not. But there are lots worse out there. Nieces and nephews included.
Peer pressure is tough. And today is alot different from when we were growing up. I always try to get to know his friends. I would rather they hang out at my house than anywhere else, so I put up with the loud music and ton of kids eating me out of house and home, but I KNOW where they are and what they are doing. If I don't like the way they act, they aren't invited back.
We recently moved from the city to the woods. We live on a 20 acres estate. He absolutely loves it here. I have not had a bit of trouble out of him since we have moved. Other than the bit of attitude about chores. I do believe strongly that location has a lot to do with a child actions.
Of course, at 17, we can offer guidance and hope we have done a good job parenting. He still will get punished, as he lives under my roof, but I have to start to look at him as a young adult. I have supplied him with condoms (stocking stuffer last year) and I am glad to see he hasn't used the whole box yet ! I would rather him be prepared than become a father at such a young age or worse. He will always be my baby, but I guess its time to start loosening the apron strings.
Kids will rebel and try things. Hopefully they have enough common sense to be smart.
I have worked, but always managed to schedule around his schooling. I am home more than not. We do eat dinner together everyday. That is just one family value I will hold onto forever.(or as long as he lives with us) I hope he will take some of our "FAMILY VALUES" with him into his own family !
Our jobs as parents will never be over.

Old 10-12-2006, 09:31 AM

504 posts, read 1,764,209 times
My parents were the kind of parents that said do as I say not do as I do, I believe that all expectant parents be giving parenting classes, they should come with the obstetrician. My parents had 4 kids, they both drank, smoked and my father ran around on my mother and he yelled and abused us all. I was told not to smoke while they were puffing away,I am the only one that does not smoke, used too. All four of us are alcoholics in varying degrees including one who has been homeless. All of us have raging tempers and have been in abusive relationships, one of us stayed married the rest of us never stayed married long. We have three children between us two are mine, the other one is my sisters who did not raise him, she was afraid to. Two of us opted out of having children. I have two daughters 15 years apart 40 and 25, I have never hit them, used to yell at the oldest a lot. I tried to spend as much time with them as possible and was very lucky to have a great father for my youngest one. Both my daughters have been to counseling and neither has known thier grandfather. Setting a good example is the best kind of parenting. I do not believe in spanking I do not believe in hitting anything thats smaller than me. If you teach a child to hit they will hit.

Old 10-12-2006, 10:57 AM

421 posts, read 469,004 times
Kids are like a lump of clay. It's not going to mold its self now is it? I saw a study done where babies were 6 mos of age, 3 girls and 3 boys. The boys were boppin the girls in the head and face and pushing them down..At 6 mos old!!!! That proves that's the age to start the molding. They have to be told and shown that the behavior is unacceptable. But i have seen over and over that mothers pretty much ignore thier kids...a little problem becomes a big problem. How can parents that both work possibly hope to raise decent kids? My friend who is a proffessor said kids start school with an attitude...all they say and do is fashioned after what was learned in the household.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting