Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2013, 06:41 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,373,871 times

Advertisements

When our kids were that age it was still assumed that you would drop the kids off and leave and that the hosting parents would arrange for enough eyes if needed. We never assumed parents would stay at a child's birthday party.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2013, 06:55 PM

49,927 posts, read 60,053,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
What if the only choice is stay and bring an extra sibling, or take the sibling and go?
I always made arrangements for my other kids if I had to stay.

Old 06-16-2013, 07:13 PM

2,966 posts, read 3,921,949 times
Hmm. I never assumed parents would stay, even at that age. Of course, some always did which was fine, but there was no universal expectation that parents needed to be there- unless stated on the invite. I wouldn't invite kids over for a playdate at my home and expect their parents to stay to supervise, and I feel similar about birthday parties. But with that being said, I never invited that many kids to a birthday party unless I knew I had adequate supervision. 17 seems like a lot!

And from what I remember, usually those bounce house type places provide a few workers to keep an eye on everyone.

Old 06-16-2013, 07:22 PM

88,691 posts, read 85,035,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Well, I'll preface this by saying I would never invite 17 kids to a 5 year old's BD party, so....

For our kids' 5th BDs, they invited 5 friends, and yes, the guests were dropped off by the parents.
No problem watching them.

That is the norm here.
I would never expect a parent, yet alone a sibling, to crash the party.
I have heard of that as a rule of thumb--invite the number of kids that is the same number as the kid's age. While some parents always stuck around, I wouldn't expect parents to stay for a kid's birthday party. Then again, that could vary with the age of the kid. Sending along an uninvited sibling is just rude.

Old 06-16-2013, 08:05 PM

509 posts, read 1,546,059 times
Personally, I would stay at the party if my child was 8 or younger. Last year we attended a birthday party at Pump It Up where a young boy attending the party broke his arm. His Mom had dropped him off and went shopping. It was left up to me and several other Moms to try to reach his mother and tell her what happened while the staff cared for him and called an ambulance. Mom didn't make it in time and he went to the hospital with another parent. The poor little guy was so upset!

If a party comes up and my husband cannot watch our other two, then the invited child needs to miss the party or I'll go ahead and pay for my other kids to be admitted. I never assume that it's a "Drop Off" unless specifically told so by the birthday boy/girl's parents. If this is a school peer, it's a great time to get to know the other parents, work out car pools, etc. I do think it's a stretch to assume that a 5 year old's party is a drop off event.

Old 06-16-2013, 08:11 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,215,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Mom View Post
Personally, I would stay at the party if my child was 8 or younger. Last year we attended a birthday party at Pump It Up where a young boy attending the party broke his arm. His Mom had dropped him off and went shopping. It was left up to me and several other Moms to try to reach his mother and tell her what happened while the staff cared for him and called an ambulance. Mom didn't make it in time and he went to the hospital with another parent. The poor little guy was so upset!

If a party comes up and my husband cannot watch our other two, then the invited child needs to miss the party or I'll go ahead and pay for my other kids to be admitted. I never assume that it's a "Drop Off" unless specifically told so by the birthday boy/girl's parents. If this is a school peer, it's a great time to get to know the other parents, work out car pools, etc. I do think it's a stretch to assume that a 5 year old's party is a drop off event.
Just curious, what's magical about age 8?

Old 06-16-2013, 08:18 PM

4,818 posts, read 11,016,721 times
We have 4 yr old twins and an 8 yr old...and our 8 yr old had his birthday at one of those bouncy houses/trampoline places.... at this place you pay for 10 kids to play for 1 hour, then have a room for birthday cake, presents, etc.

My take is, yes 17 is a bit too many for such an event, and we never expected parents to hang around except those whom we are already friends with. But certainly nice when they did. Now at this bouncy house place, I assume there is supervision already from a worker of the place during the bouncy house time so hopefully that will ease the pressure some on the supervision part.

Old 06-17-2013, 06:31 AM

2,731 posts, read 6,126,673 times
No one I know invites one child per year of age anymore. And 5 might be old enough to drop off at a house party, but not one of those bounce places. There are going to be a lot of kids there and when 2 of them knock heads, a parent should be there not the bounce house people or the party hosts. OP I think the parents mentioning how excited they were were feeling you out to see if you're going to let them leave.

Old 06-17-2013, 07:31 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,453,735 times
When my kids were growing up (they're 12 years apart), the "child's age plus one" number of guests was the rule with everyone we knew. It worked very well with the first one and so we did it with the second.

When they were VERY young we had birthday parties for them that included all of the parents - the invitation was extended to the children and their parents and we had refreshments for little ones and for adults. So the parents didn't feel like they were hanging around at a kids party but were attending a party themselves, and all parents were available to keep an eye on things.

Dropping off and running should be done with express permission of the host, not assumed.

Old 06-17-2013, 07:44 AM

2,825 posts, read 6,932,771 times
My daughter is 7 and most of the time I still stay with her at parties. The only exception is if it specifies on the invitation that it is a "drop-off" party, or if the host specifically tells me that when we arrive.

I did have one time when I asked another girl's mom to bring my kid with them to the party and keep an eye on her, otherwise my daughter would not have been able to go, so in that case the other mom agreed to be there for my kid and hers. I also cleared this with the host before-hand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting