Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2013, 05:10 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,848,066 times

Advertisements

Buckcherry?

AC DC?

Sweet Ballroom Blitz seems to get kids amped up and excited.

NO BARNEY!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2013, 09:52 AM

2,731 posts, read 6,121,425 times
I had a playlist for my 2 year old's Thomas birthday party! I downloaded Thomas songs from Amazon and mixed in Bruno Mars, The Twist, The Benny Hill Theme, Beautiful Boy (john lennon), Wooly Bully, The Lion Sleeps Tonight, Land of 1000 dances, YMCA, Drive By (train) and Tequila. I can list out the Thomas songs if you want - I still have the playlist and we often put in on when playing trains or just having a dance party!!

ETA - I don't think having activities is a bad idea AT ALL. We had ours outside and there were just little stations set up. Don't let people make you feel bad about planning some things. We had a table with the crayons and coloring pages. We had a sand table in the corner, and outdoor toys. After a bit, we brought out a fishing game. Then we had a bubble gun. You want it to be different than just having friends over. And yes - kids like music and actually dance and laugh. It's not like you're going to be blowing a horn and forcing them from one thing to the next.

Old 06-13-2013, 02:03 PM

1,135 posts, read 1,837,270 times
If you really want music, I'd go with some Justin Roberts CD's that you can hopefully find at the library. But yeah, you probably don't need music.

Justin Roberts is the best adult-friendly kids music I've found for 2-4 year olds. Dan Zanes is pretty good too.

Old 06-13-2013, 03:14 PM

1,263 posts, read 3,282,628 times
Sounds like the general consensus is skip the music, or at least only have a couple songs.

Good to hear that I'm over thinking this! I was wondering how much is too much, and I do have a tendency to overdo things.

I was afraid other parents would arrive and think, "No music? Where are the activities? This poor child has a TERRIBLE MOTHER!" And all the kids would be disappointed and board.

I'm confident about most things in life, but not about being "fun" or an organized mom.

It doesn't help that some relatives all throw huge extravaganzas for their kids, with bounce houses and professional-worthy decorations - I've seen parties for toddlers that rivaled some weddings.
I feel like the "lazy mom" of the family.

Old 06-13-2013, 03:30 PM

22,603 posts, read 47,707,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOL_Whut View Post

I was afraid other parents would arrive and think, "No music?
The only young kid parties I remember with music were at the roller rink. Tweens/teens are another story....

You'll do fine. Besides, the party is for your child, not the 'other parents'!

Old 06-13-2013, 04:34 PM

4,738 posts, read 4,437,385 times
For $9 bucks you can score a bunch of AMazon MP3 tracks from Thomas The Train (Amazon.com: Thomas & Friends: Thomas Train Yard Tracks: Various Artists: Music). Warning though, a Thomas fan will want to listen to this quite often!

Another cool thing is just to hit Amazon MP3 search for toddler. You can just select a bunch of MP3s at 99 cents.

Here is another fun thing I did. . .I thought it was cool. I have all my sons pictures on my computer. Picasa tags those automaticly. I created a Face Movie. anyway, I thought it was cute.

Here is one I did when he was 1 password TAN [vimeo]17499310[/vimeo]
Private Video on Vimeo

Old 06-13-2013, 08:47 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,114,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
You'll do fine. Besides, the party is for your child, not the 'other parents'!
At least it should be for the kids but too many times parenting becomes a competition and that is so wrong and SAD.

Old 06-13-2013, 10:29 PM

16,489 posts, read 24,489,562 times
I've had and been to a lot of chicldren's birthday parties and have never heard music at any of them. The kids won't be listening and the songs will drive the adults crazy.

Old 06-17-2013, 06:04 PM

1,137 posts, read 1,399,188 times
My son is 2 and he absolutely loves the song "on Melancholy Hill" by the Gorillaz. Everytime I play it he starts dancing and stomping his feet. I agree with some of the posters though. Playing music and dancing around is more of a one on one thing with mom and/or dad.

Old 06-17-2013, 06:34 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,793,178 times
Kids Bop - the kids will like it and the parents will like it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting